What's the Real Reason Republicans Want to Do Away With Social Security?

Your idea that private industry would be any more honest is just as ludicrous.
PEOPLE can demand more honesty from government,
PEOPLE cannot demand SHIT from private industry, because they OWN our government.
We're pretty much fucked either way.

My idea is that I can do better making my own decisions on how to save, invest, or spend my own money.

But if you prefer to be a victim, knock yourself out.

Not everyone is that savvy. Should those hard workers be ass out and at the mercy of slick operators?

Oh, like they aren't already at the mercy of slick operators in DC?

Puh-leeeze. The vast majority of people are perfectly capable of putting their money in savings accounts.

PEOPLE cannot demand SHIT from private industry, because they OWN our government.

My idea is that I can do better making my own decisions on how to save, invest, or spend my own money.

Not everyone is that savvy. Should those hard workers be ass out and at the mercy of slick operators?

Hey Jim, how do you know what to invest in?
I don't know jack shit about investing Joe.
Then how come you got such a large 401K? I work with Bob..
Bobs a fucktard, you shoulda asked around to find out if Bob knew jack from squat. go with Tim. I'm gonna have loads of money b/c of him.

That's how they get from being assed out. You ask around.

A lot of companies for years have been dropping pension plans and replacing them with 401 K's, seems to be working just fine, even with Obama's policies causing them to tank a bit for the last two years........

Puh-leeeze. The vast majority of people are perfectly capable of putting their money in savings accounts.

DC is accountable. Wall street isn't. This is not rocket science, people.

That is one of the funniest things I've read on this site. DC is not at all accountable.

Just read the Financial Report of the United States for a vision of Truly Spectacular Irresponsibility.

Current Report: Financial Report of the United States: Publications & Guidance: Financial Management Service

And it's very sad that it doesn't even occur to you that the biggest accountability is of an individual to himself.

Peepers...

IT IS COMING OUT OF THEIR OWN PAYCHECK!

what is it thast you dont get.

Jeez.

Oh, I get it quite well. You guys want to hand people's hard-earned money over to a deregulated Wall St. to play with like they just did our 401K's and then charge exhorbitant fees to "manage" the accounts. Am I right? If government would keep their sticky hands out of the fund, there would be no problems. So how about we keep things the way they are and pass legislation that the government can't touch retirement money other than to put funds in and pay funds out?

Thats the way it was supposed ot be.
How did that pan out?

Bullshit, Wall Street people get put in jail for shit DC people get away with.......

There is...wait for it....no money in social security. The money spent. Sure, there are "t-bills," but what are t-bills? No assets, they are just promise of future taxpayers to pay them. So, future taxpayers get bills for social security and t-bills, which the future taxpayers pay for.

And you think the "private sector" isn't isn't good at safeguarding other people's money so you want politicians to do it? Please.

For Christ sake. That was the whole premise. Are you slow? This generation pays for the generation that preceded us, and the next generation pays for us. That was the deal. If it was left alone, the interest on the boomers would cover the shortfall on the Xers, shit would work out.
And you know? Pointing out the fucked uptedness of your side to make our side look AS fucked up works for most of the population, but that success rate doesn't make you honest, and it does not fix the system.
If that's the whole premise, why does the Left keep saying there is a trust fund and that the Social Security system is solvent based on that money? And you say "I" am slow?

Your idea that private industry would be any more honest is just as ludicrous
True, but that's not the point. When politicians control your retirement we get what we have, politicians spending your money for their interest. When it's your money, you choose what you want to do with it. Private companies can't just take your money, politicians can. If you distrust private companies as much as you do and if you were logical, you would distrust politicians even more due to their ability to just take your money and you'd be hysterical when you realized the truth, they did. But what you do is defend politicians who took your money and spent it and say no to private markets because you're afraid of them taking you money. :cuckoo:

What is it with you people who think you have to give your money to someone and hope for the best?

Did you know there's this new fangled thing out there called the interwebs or something. I hear you can buy stocks and mutual finds all by yourself. You can even take classes on how to handle your own money.

For Christ's sake show some fucking responsibility for your own future and stop the fucking whining.

Last edited:
You people keep forgetting that not everyone outside these boards is not as smart as we are.

You keep saying...omgz its so easy to invest. Yes to some it is...but it's certainly not a guarantee...and it's certainly not easy for the majority of people.

So stop making it sound so damn easy. (It is for me, I have my Series 7, 8, 63 and 65).

Russ Wellen: What's the Real Reason Republicans Want to Do Away With Social Security?

"It's bad enough that the real reason Republicans seek to take a hammer to Social Security is to enrich Wall Street (and, by extension, ensure the continuation of their campaign contributions). Even worse, their "creative destruction" may not enrich them as much as they anticipate. Think about it: from where are the funds that will allegedly be deposited into lifetime savings account on a regular basis expected to come?"

"In the meantime, whenever an official or commentator declares that Social Security needs to be reformed -- disfigured might be a better word -- those of us who feel otherwise need to remind their audience why. One more time: because Big Money hopes to reap a gold mine in fees for managing the program that will augment and ultimately replace Social Security."

Now we know. :D

1. To route SS contributions to the market so that profits may be realized from the money by those not contributing it.

2. To avoid paying back the 2.5 trillion or so of surplus ss funds that have been spent on other things.

#2 is really the only imminent SS "crisis".

You people keep forgetting that not everyone outside these boards is not as smart as we are.

You keep saying...omgz its so easy to invest. Yes to some it is...but it's certainly not a guarantee...and it's certainly not easy for the majority of people.

So stop making it sound so damn easy. (It is for me, I have my Series 7, 8, 63 and 65).

And stop trying to make it sound so fucking difficult. It really isn't.

In fact you can invest exactly like Warren Buffet.

Warren Buffett Portfolio - 2011 Stock Picks and Performance - Stockpickr!

It couldn't be that its bankrupt takes up 22% of the Federal budget, its unsustainable, its not invested so it doesn't beat inflation or put the money to work and its so poorly managed that waste is everywhere like every government run program.

Sums up my feelings on the matter.

But you see, Flaylo and his friends don't care how much is wasted. Nor do they care that it's costing use so much money. They just dont like us having control over our lives.

If I could have back every penny I have paid into Social Security, I wouldn't care if it disappeared.

But you cant. No one will.

I've already come to terms with the fact that I will never see that money and that there will be no SS for me when I reach the age of retirement. My solution? Working more.

After all, God didnt say labor six days and rest on the seventh until you reach the retirement age, then do nothing.

Not until people are honest with themselves and others.

Actually, we can demand compensation from private industry. People do it all the time. And if they don't pay, they sue them

As for the government... Well the government has sovereign immunity.

American wages have been stagnant and in decline for 30 years. There is no job security anymore. How do you expect people to save for their retirement when every year, it gets harder and harder to make ends meet? I just don't understand the GOP perspective at all. Wouldn't you rather everyone pay in a little to make sure that the most vulnerable among us (the elderly) had some semblance of dignity after working for 40 years and contributing to society and, most often times, an employer's profits? It's not like we have pensions anymore. Just what do you expect people to do? Most cannot save up enough on what they make to ensure an even spartan retirement... most people just don't make enough money. When will you jokers realize that?

So you consider being robbed all your life by the government and then being given so little you can barely make payments dignity?

That's interesting. Because I consider working hard for what you make as having dignity.

DC is spending more of the money we don't have than ever before. Borrowing it from nations that dont have our interests at heart. and somehow they are accountable?

Forum List

Back