Michigan School District Allows Sikh Students to Wear Religious Dagger to School

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
A Detroit-area district says it's allowing Sikh students to wear a small, religious dagger to school, MyFoxDetroit.com reports.

The decision by the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools reverses a ban put in place in December after a fourth-grader at a Canton Township elementary school was found with a dull, 3- to 5-inch kirpan.

The kirpan represents a commitment to fight evil in the Sikh tradition. The dagger is a religious symbol that baptized Sikh males are expected to carry.

Michigan School District Allows Sikh Students to Wear Religious Dagger to School - FoxNews.com

Well, looks like the rest of the kids will have to bring their "guns to the knife fight"

We can't say prayers in school but little Sikh's can bring religious knives to school.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

At the same time Obama's pushing draconian gun legislation...

Guess the good folks up in Michigan didn't get the memo that guns, knives, and spoons are dangerous.

Our school district has a zero tolerance policy and wouldn't allow this, nor should they. However, they do tend to go overboard. When he was younger, my son (the special needs kid) would sneak in a toy gun (as in toy solider, little tiny thing) into school. Once he bought in a soft plastic 'bullet'. The school got all 'omg' and I was like 'Seriously? put it in his school bag but don't tell him you did. I'll pat him down before he leaves the house from now on'. My daughter got told that she can not bring in a plastic fork from home. :rolleyes:

I just looked up a kirpan . . .they shouldn't allow them in schools, there's no reason for it. It's ridiculous.

A poor school district caved to a lawyer is the real story.

Exactly, but we live in an era of news media that strives for 24 hours of freaking out.

It's a stupid ruling, but it won't affect anyone and my guess is the ruling get's appealed and or changed soon enough. But not soon enough to keep people from lighting their torches and grabbing their pitchforks.

Expect alot of kids to convert to Sikhism so they can carry daggers to school.

I've known plenty of sikhs. None of them carry daggers. What they do is have a necklace in the shape of a dagger.

I think that a picture is attached the the linked article, and if that's what they approved then nobody here should really defend that decision.

Expect alot of kids to convert to Sikhism so they can carry daggers to school.

I've known plenty of sikhs. None of them carry daggers. What they do is have a necklace in the shape of a dagger.

I think that a picture is attached the the linked article, and if that's what they approved then nobody here should really defend that decision.

The Story is from FOX.

Unless something credible shows up..I don't fall for propaganda.

A Detroit-area district says it's allowing Sikh students to wear a small, religious dagger to school, MyFoxDetroit.com reports.

The decision by the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools reverses a ban put in place in December after a fourth-grader at a Canton Township elementary school was found with a dull, 3- to 5-inch kirpan.

The kirpan represents a commitment to fight evil in the Sikh tradition. The dagger is a religious symbol that baptized Sikh males are expected to carry.

Michigan School District Allows Sikh Students to Wear Religious Dagger to School - FoxNews.com

Well, looks like the rest of the kids will have to bring their "guns to the knife fight"

We can't say prayers in school but little Sikh's can bring religious knives to school.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
It is a requirement of their religion...even Sikhs in the military are allowed those knives...now, if your religious tradition required one, you'd be crying buckets if you weren't allowed to wear it.

Besides, your religious tradition is already being catered to by Public schools.

New Topics

Forum List

Back