Whats the big idea?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by candycorn, Feb 20, 2012.

1. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,066
    With deference to Grumps talking about no worthy debates...I'll try to start one to get the intellecutal juices flowing here...

Rise above politics for a moment:

What should be the next "big thing" we do as a nation? Define it any way you want but I'll give an example.

Hoover Dam for example. If you were to suggest building it today I think you'd get laughed out of the room. The Golden Gate Bridge? Any takers on that?

I think the next "big thing" should be transcontinental high speed rail myself. We could start tomorrow. Chicago to Denver in 90 minutes would be the first step

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    See my challenge in the Rep Ho zone.

200 words on why it would be a good idea with back up.

Go!

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    I think clearing out all of the deadwood and no-goods out of Washington, DC would be a great place to start. Replace them all with some honest, forward-thinking people who are interested in doing what is best for the American people instead of their own political party or personal agendas. Then we should move forward with making America great again and begin with a project such as the high speed rail.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Robert_Stephens

Robert_Stephens BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92

Twofold: Get out of debt, then, go and establish a year around inhabited base on Mars.

Robert

5. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Send a manned mission to Mars.

6. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    Those big imaginative projects are a thing of the past and we will not see their like again. We need so many energy, water and transportation upgrades but there is zero political will to promote them. We are doomed to watch while our infrastructure crumbles and people sit out of work because according to some of our leaders Americans no longer deserve to live in a modern country.

7. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    I'm with Big Black Dog...get rid of the politicians in the District of Criminals that are standing in the way of the free thinkers and entrepeneurs in this nation that can make things happen without government interferenece.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,486

While I'd freakin' love to see the above, I'll go another direction. I'd like to see races in the areas of science: Energy generation and medical technology.

Energy generation because the recent "green" fiasco has proven that we're just not there yet in terms of energy technology. The Obama administration has tried to force the issue by picking the winners and losers, and it's been a disaster. We need a race to create real, efficient, energy independence. Now.

Medical technology because Medicare is headed for a brick wall. We need to develop medical technology (using nanotechnology, for example) to both bring the cost of care down and improve effectiveness. Ten, fifteen, twenty years down the road, if we don't improve drastically in this area, we are screwed.

9. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,443
    The next "big thing" should be nothing. We don't have money for huge boondoggles any longer. We should be cutting back on government, not growing it.

10. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,921
    "IF" we could afford it I think a plan for a maned mission to mars would inspire not only national pride but also a new generation of children interested in science.

Politically I wish we could make all elections publicly financed. Balance the budget.