Whats the big idea?

Pubs that are into Big Oil for their paychecks won't like it but, railroads. We should never have let our RR's fall apart. Much cheaper to use the rails to move goods and trucks to pick up at hubs to move to stores and the like.

I'm hoping that President Obama brings troops home and puts them to work rebuilding our rail system. Then, retrain truck drivers to work for RR's.

It would work very well for passengers too. Put in Zip Cars such as are being used in some big cities. Drive your car to the station, ride the train to your destination and grab a Zip Car. We used them in Boston recently and its a great system. Very cheap and easy. A lot cheaper than the usual rental and a whole hell of a lot more convenient because you can drop them off almost anywhere.

It would be win-win and we'd be using a hell of a lot less gas.

But, as I say, the GObP/pubs/teebags would never allow something so commonsensical and money-saving as RR's.

Okay, humor us with a list of priorities. What would you prefer, a new CCC?

Modernized power grid
Universal broadband telecommunications coverage.
Modernized water and sewer for cities with patched together 100+ year-old systems.
Get a jump on the massive public transportation system we will badly need in 20 years.
Get a jump on the massive amounts of non fossil fuel energy we will need even sooner than we think.
Construction of a national water grid to capture spring thaws and increase arable land.
Development of cost effective synthetic meat.

The list is long but there are thousands of things the future will force us to do no matter how much we deny it, we really need to get on some of these things because they are not going to be any cheaper in the future. The price tag of any of these necessary projects is just going to climb.

Synthetic meat?

It does not seem like a huge deal at first but the grain and water requirements to grow cows, chicken, pork are massively polluting and wasteful, we have to feed 100s of pounds of grain to make a pound of beef and water that grain with hundreds of gallons of water. There will come a point where meat will become far too expensive for regular people to afford, it would be nice to have something other than a soy burger on the table in 20-30 years. NASA started the research years ago but I heard today some scientists have made a major step forward so the subject was on my mind.

BBC News - Lab-grown meat is first step to artificial hamburger

Okay, humor us with a list of priorities. What would you prefer, a new CCC?

Modernized power grid
Modernized water and sewer for cities with patched together 100+ year-old systems.
Get a jump on the massive public transportation system we will badly need in 20 years.
Get a jump on the massive amounts of non fossil fuel energy we will need even sooner than we think.
Construction of a national water grid to capture spring thaws and increase arable land.

The list is long but there are thousands of things the future will force us to do no matter how much we deny it, we really need to get on some of these things because they are not going to be any cheaper in the future. The price tag of any of these necessary projects is just going to climb.

Synthetic meat?

We already have that. Have had TVP and similar for a long time. We use TVP now and then and its an easy way to segway out of eating meat. It can work very well, be incredibly delicious and at a fraction of the cost, not to mention the cost to our health and the health of our planet.

But, pubs don't want to do things that might be good for them or for the planet. They would much rather have heart attacks, diabetes and cancer and, waste enormous natural resources doing it. A lot like asshole bush proudly declaring that we're the biggest polluters. Wasting and taking more than they need is a point of pride for the GObP/pubs.

Modernized power grid

Synthetic meat?

It does not seem like a huge deal at first but the grain and water requirements to grow cows, chicken, pork are massively polluting and wasteful, we have to feed 100s of pounds of grain to make a pound of beef and water that grain with hundreds of gallons of water. There will come a point where meat will become far too expensive for regular people to afford, it would be nice to have something other than a soy burger on the table in 20-30 years. NASA started the research years ago but I heard today some scientists have made a major step forward so the subject was on my mind.

Try Morningstar Farms brand, green box ... "Grillers" are really quite good. There are other choices. Try them ...

Some people swear by Boca burgers but I've never been crazy about them.

Cow's milk is all but poison to humans. Try Diamond brand Almond milk. Better nutrition and lower fat.

Synthetic meat?

Try Morningstar Farms brand, green box ... "Grillers" are really quite good. There are other choices. Try them ...

Some people swear by Boca burgers but I've never been crazy about them.

Cow's milk is all but poison to humans. Try Diamond brand Almond milk. Better nutrition and lower fat.

I can't drink any dairy products. Sucks cause I love real ice cream.

Just won't go down right.

The next "big thing" should be nothing. We don't have money for huge boondoggles any longer. We should be cutting back on government, not growing it.

With due respect to your point it is entirely possible to do big things. The govt just needs to realize that their position is and should be that of a supporting role. If properly planned and executed there is money to be made on many of the big ideas.

Yes, the government position is and should be that of a SUPPORTING ROLE.
Because that's how we won WW2, built the interstate system, went to the moon and developed the internet. Oh wait. It wasn't. It was BIG GOVERNMENT SPENDING that drove all those things!!!

I don't know how anyone can have a conversation with people who get such basic history fundamentally wrong. The private sector didn't send us to the moon or do ANY of those things I mentioned. GOVERNMENT SPENDING AND DIRECTION DID!

It was BIG GOVERNMENT SPENDING that drove all those things!!!

You're right, because if the private sector had gotten us to the Moon, we'd still be there. Making a profit.

There are some good ideas in here regardless of ideology.

Sadly, we can't afford most of them.

The point I was trying to make is that circumstances will force us to do these things in future when it will be much more expensive, how can we not afford to do some things like an advanced national power grid that does not waste so much energy?

The point I was trying to make is that circumstances will force us to do these things in future when it will be much more expensive, how can we not afford to do some things like an advanced national power grid that does not waste so much energy?

It's a bit late for that question after the Bush and Obama spending years. We reap what we sew. Now first and foremost we must dig out of this hole.

It's a bit late for that question after the Bush and Obama spending years. We reap what we sew. Now first and foremost we must dig out of this hole.

Never going to happen if our infrastructure becomes too broken down to support industry, yours is a recipe for forced decline into an unprofitable post industrial mediocrity.

With deference to Grumps talking about no worthy debates...I'll try to start one to get the intellecutal juices flowing here...

Rise above politics for a moment:

What should be the next "big thing" we do as a nation? Define it any way you want but I'll give an example.

Hoover Dam for example. If you were to suggest building it today I think you'd get laughed out of the room. The Golden Gate Bridge? Any takers on that?

I think the next "big thing" should be transcontinental high speed rail myself. We could start tomorrow. Chicago to Denver in 90 minutes would be the first step

My favorite is Arthur Clarkes trans Atlantic bridge. If you just want speculation.

With deference to Grumps talking about no worthy debates...I'll try to start one to get the intellecutal juices flowing here...

What should be the next "big thing" we do as a nation? Define it any way you want but I'll give an example.

Hoover Dam for example. If you were to suggest building it today I think you'd get laughed out of the room. The Golden Gate Bridge? Any takers on that?

I think the next "big thing" should be transcontinental high speed rail myself. We could start tomorrow. Chicago to Denver in 90 minutes would be the first step

My favorite is Arthur Clarkes trans Atlantic bridge. If you just want speculation.

How about the space elevators? Private industry is working on them now. And they even have a working prototype.

Never going to happen if our infrastructure becomes too broken down to support industry, yours is a recipe for forced decline into an unprofitable post industrial mediocrity.

Mine is a recipe for reality.

Your reality is one where America settles for being a second class country, despised by all for our lack of forward planning, stuck in the 20th century, contributing nothing of value, mired in debt and devoid of innovation. Allowing our debt to hold the future hostage is to insure that it never gets paid off.

How about the space elevators? Private industry is working on them now. And they even have a working prototype.

They don't have a "working prototype". There's no material that's strong enough to work as a tether. Research has been put into carbon nanotubes, but that's still decades away.

"Space elevators" are still science fiction at this point.

Your reality is one where America settles for being a second class country, despised by all for our lack of forward planning, stuck in the 20th century, contributing nothing of value, mired in debt and devoid of innovation. Allowing our debt to hold the future hostage is to insure that it never gets paid off.

Except that you're ignoring the fact that "I" believe our debt should be one of our first priorities.

In fact if congress would stop the reckless spending I would not oppose higher taxes to deal with the debt.

Problem is most of congress as well as Obama would squander the "GIFT" of the American people. With proper management and temporary taxes we could tackle this problem.

They don't have a "working prototype". There's no material that's strong enough to work as a tether. Research has been put into carbon nanotubes, but that's still decades away.

Being able to manufacture large scale structural carbon allotrope materials would be a good innovation in itself.

Yes they do. It was promoted on the Science channel just a few days ago.

You do know what prototype means right?

It was a magnetic drive.

It was a magnetic drive.

"Prototype" can mean many things, depending on the qualifications. Such as a "proof of concept" prototype, or "user experience prototype".

A "working prototype" on the other hand, means something specific. In this case, it would mean a functional space elevator.

It was a magnetic drive.

A space elevator would be the single most expensive and monumental structure in human history, and yet we cannot afford to rebuild our antiquated power grid? Whatchutalkinbout Willis?

Forum List

Back