What would make existing sports better?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Thinking basketball is the most boring since scoring isn't much of an achievement but rather a given, what would make it better?

Everything's better with full-contact. :) I'd watch full-contact basketball. :) Elbows to the face, tackles as you approach the net, etc. :)

Full-contact and padless football. No more sissy helmets and paddings. Wanna hit the guy hit him. Fatalities? Oh well, why they get paid so much money. :)

Baseball? You're not throwing to the catcher now, you're TRYING to hit the batter, and the batter's trying to hit the ball without being hit. :)

Basketball: fewer games. Drop it to about 20-25 games in regular season, make the playoffs be lose and you're done.

Baseball: fewer game as well. Same playoff deal too. You shouldn't be able to lose abplayoff game and still advance.

Football: get rid of penalties for stupid stuff like celebration. Adopt the Arena Football league's OT procedure.

Hockey: fewer games and sudden death playoffs.

Soccer: fewer games, allow more physical play.

These sports that have so many games in a season kill me. Why the fuck would I want to spend my money on a meaningless game? I wouldn't pay one cent for the first game of a baseball or basketball season.

Also, I have little respect for a sport where you can lose a playoff game and still advance.

Thinking basketball is the most boring since scoring isn't much of an achievement but rather a given, what would make it better?

Everything's better with full-contact. :) I'd watch full-contact basketball. :) Elbows to the face, tackles as you approach the net, etc. :)

Full-contact and padless football. No more sissy helmets and paddings. Wanna hit the guy hit him. Fatalities? Oh well, why they get paid so much money. :)

Baseball? You're not throwing to the catcher now, you're TRYING to hit the batter, and the batter's trying to hit the ball without being hit. :)

Cardinal pitchers throw to Molina...or else. Don't like American football? Try rugby. Ever notice there is no pro rugby games played in this country? Get rid of basketball altogether. Naismith's game has morphed into a freaking JOKE.

Football: out of bounds has inwards facing spikes. If you run out of bounds you'd might die. :)

Need more death and gore in sports to make it watchable. It's supposed to have replaced gladitorial matches but is all limp-wristed overpaid prima donnas now.

Baseball: Electronic ball&strike calls. An electric jolt to the Privates if you step out of the batter's box between pitches.

Basketball: Enforce the rules as originally written. A foul is a foul. Call traveling and palming the ball.

Football: Remove all protective equipment except jock&cup. Huddles only on first & fourth down.

Soccer: Smaller field, bigger goal.

Hockey: Enforce the rules. No contact unless the defender is actually going after the puck. Reduce goalie protective equipment to what is needed for safety.

Tennis: No change. Already perfect.

Football: out of bounds has inwards facing spikes. If you run out of bounds you'd might die. :)

Need more death and gore in sports to make it watchable. It's supposed to have replaced gladitorial matches but is all limp-wristed overpaid prima donnas now.

Somehow, I just can't picture you in an American football uniform.

Tried but failed to find an old picture of a lacrosse player. Was a drawingf but showed him as a big hulk-like barbarian with spiked shoulderpads, mangled corpses at his feet, skulls, and such.

I'd watch that. :)

Somehow, I just can't picture you in an American football uniform.

I make good things better. :) I'd be in a suit in a/c office somewhere. :)

Athletes are those who, unable to develop their minds, developed their bodies instead.

And in fairness,

Intellectuals are those who, unable to develop their bodies...:)

MORE drugs! I have no problem with PEDs. The bigger the faster the better. If the PEDs were out in the open the drug manufacturers would be forced to develop PEDs that cause less harm and provide better results. What about the records? Screw the records. This is now and that was then. Records and the minutia of comparing this old guy to that dead guy are for dweebs that couldn't develop their minds OR their bodies.

MORE gambling! I wouldn't mind if the players were encouraged to bet on their own teams and individual performances. I say let em put their own money where their mouth is. I want to see a Sherman screaming over the din of the fan's noise on the phone with his bookie betting he will intercept Brady and take it to the house! I want to see Lynch say "it's all about that action Boss" and REALLY mean it.

I say put out non harmful explosives (if there is such a thing) on the field in sports-people like surprises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV Arch

Soccer: replace penalty shoot-out rule (at end of regulation and overtime draw play) with rematch

Basketball: broadcast coverage of colleges recruiting high school phenoms

Football: reduce celebration penalties to simple time-delay penalty

What I like about current sports is that an average American can turn on the TV on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon and get great broadcasts of high-profile college football games (i.e., Florida State vs. Florida) which showcase colorful views on college atmosphere and student-athlete fervor.

You just don't get that in other countries. So...I'd just like to see more media/TV hype in America about the World Cup successes of the U.S. women's national soccer team.

:afro:

1991 Orange Bowl

vm.jpg

I have a way to improve NASCAR and make it watchable.

Take half the cars and make them go the other way. Now THAT would be entertaining.

Athletes are those who, unable to develop their minds, developed their bodies instead.

And in fairness,

Thats not true. I am a former athlete. Now I possess the CCNP designation from Cisco. Plenty of athletes are intelligent. I think people that are not athletic have to make up stuff like that to feel better.

And in fairness,

I am sure there are those athletes who fit your description. But they are not the majority or even the norm. And some athletes possess impressive intellectual capabilities.

The QB who led the Alabama Crimson Tide to the 2009 National Championship was in the running for aa a Rhodes Scholar. One of the offensive linemen on the 2011 and 2012 National Championship teams played all 3 positions on the line well enough to make All-American at each spot. While he did that he also graduated with a degree in Accounting with a GPA of 4.0.

Basketball: fewer games. Drop it to about 20-25 games in regular season, make the playoffs be lose and you're done.

Baseball: fewer game as well. Same playoff deal too. You shouldn't be able to lose abplayoff game and still advance.

Football: get rid of penalties for stupid stuff like celebration. Adopt the Arena Football league's OT procedure.

Hockey: fewer games and sudden death playoffs.

Soccer: fewer games, allow more physical play.

These sports that have so many games in a season kill me. Why the fuck would I want to spend my money on a meaningless game? I wouldn't pay one cent for the first game of a baseball or basketball season.

Also, I have little respect for a sport where you can lose a playoff game and still advance.

I pretty much agree with most of everything in this post.

Basketball and baseball for sure have too many games.basketball has WAY too many teams making the playoffs.

the owners ruined the game of baseball when they started that idiotic and asinine three way wild card..Baseball was the last sport that did it right,win the division and you get to move on.the team that finished in second place or worse,had to stay home.

I lost interest in baseball after they started that asinine three way wild card thing.thats when the owners fucked the game wheter people want to believe it or not.

dont know where predfan comes up with this crap that you shouldnt be able to lose a playoff game and still advance.thats the way its been since the dawn of time ever since both sports were invented.:rolleyes:
but seeing it came from predfan,thats no surprise.

the NFL has become the most corrupt of the big three.it has become obvious the officials are rigging games.

who can forget the bullshit tuck rule,the worst call in NFL playoff history invented on the spot so the cheats could go to the superbowl and making bad calls that were obviously wrong ruling tim brown did not have an obvious first down when he did for example?

then there was this last seasons game between the cowboys and lions.The cowboys defender obviously committed pass interference against a Lions receiver and the flag was thrown then picked up later with no explanation.what kind of bullshit is that?:rolleyes:

worst call in NFL playoff history since the tuck rule.

then there is the 49ers and falcons NFC game.the falcons would have won that game if not for a horrible bad call that went against them and cost them the game.the NFL wanted to see a harbaugh superbowl so they rigged that game to make sure the 49ers were in it.

NFL coaches and officials should be required to take a lie detector test for things that are highly suspecious.I believe in all my heart pete carrol took a payoff to throw the game in the superbowl especially since players at USC accused him of throwing games in the past.

I always believed Neil O donnel purposely took a payoff to throw the superbowl against the cowboys as well.It was just way too fishy how both costly interceptions he threw were to the same defender and in BOTH cases,there was not a steeler receiver ANYWHERE in the area.that could happen once but NOT twice.

then the next season he leaves the steelers,A superbowl team to go play for the new york jets who were the worst team in the NFL at the time? o'donnel played the game purely for money the fact he left the steelers for a crappy team in the jets so he obviously was able to be bought off.

there is also the case of the raiders where many of the raider players including hall of famers jerry rice and tim brown accused bill callahan of throwing the game when he changed the game plan a mere 48 hours before the superbowl,something Brown said no coach ever did the whole time he played for the raiders. Callahan it was known,did not like many of the raiders players,al davis or the organization so he threw the game so his friend john gruden could win the superbowl.that is so obvious.

then there is finally belicheat,brady and the cheatriots and their cheating,lying,and spying on other teams and getting away with it constantly all the time.

But because none of these officials or coaches are ever going to be required to take a lie detector test for their past actions,the NFL will continue on as a corrupt institution.

Last edited:
Im extremely surprised and shocked that nobody has mentioned that free agency needs to be abolished. thats what ruined and destroyed the game of baseball and basketball was free agency.

If not for freaking free agency,the oakland A'S would have won really been an even bigger dynasty than they were in the 70's and they would have won the division every year and been in multiple world series had it not been for that. when free agency came along in 73,thats when they lost all their great players such as reggie jackson to free agency.

because of free agency,players never stay with one team their whole careers anymore like they did when i was growing up as a toddler.i feel sorry for the kids that grow up in this day and age.they never get to experience what i got to as a kid when you knew all the players you liked were going to be back every year.

Football is not fun to watch anymore these days either because of that.when football followed the footsteps of baseball and basketball and adopted free agency in 1993.i knew football would never be the same again after that.

thats why baseball and basketball are not big anymore like they used to be because fans know players they get drafted now are not goign to stay with their team their whole carrers anymore.

baseball is no longer americas favorite pastime anymore because of that.

Football will always survive and is so much bigger now than 20 years ago because of free agency in basketball and baseball.

since football is only played once a week,it will always be big despite players not staying with one team anymore because of the fact it is only played once a week.football will always survive unlike baseball and basketball because of that.

oh and baseball needs to have a salary cap so these people with big time payrolls like the yankees, red sox,angels,dodgers,and Giants can always buy the best talent.

If football did not have a salary cap the way baseball doesnt,no way would small market teams like the packers, steelers,chiefs,and chargers be able to contend year after year.

Last edited:
Basketball - Get rid of all the intentional fouls and reduce the number of time-outs.
Football - All the TV commercials have killed the game.
Baseball - Shorten the season. World Series should be over by end of September.
Hockey - While over-expansion have hurt all sports, for me it has hurt hockey the most (I recall when there were only 6 NHL teams)

Forum List

Back