What Will Improve the Palestinian Economy?

Shusha

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2015
On another thread someone suggested that the Palestinian economy is suffering due to the "occupation". While this may be true, the article posted to support this idea is riddled with problems. Here is the article. Here is a summary of the report from which the article is drawn.

The main problems I have with the concepts portrayed in the article are:

1. It fails to recognize or acknowledge Palestinian responsibility for economic growth.
2. It falsifies Palestinian "rights"/ownership/areas of control.
3. It intentionally places blame on Israel for things outside Israeli control.
4. It muddies the water by introducing unrelated issues.

So, let's make a list of what Palestine and Gaza (and honestly, imo, we should look at them separately) should be doing to improve its economy.

And secondly, let's look at some of the falsehoods presented in this article.

On another thread someone suggested that the Palestinian economy is suffering due to the "occupation". While this may be true, the article posted to support this idea is riddled with problems. Here is the article. Here is a summary of the report from which the article is drawn.

1. It fails to recognize or acknowledge Palestinian responsibility for economic growth.

So, let's make a list of what Palestine and Gaza (and honestly, imo, we should look at them separately) should be doing to improve its economy.

Maybe they could spend their resources on something besides rockets to shoot into Israel for starters.

signed peace agreement with Israel.
Peace will bring investors and more jobs.
Peace agreement that won't allow the hamas to rearm and ship in weapons will mean the artificial island/harbor/airport can be built.
It will mean cleaning the waters for recreation and fishing.
It will mean new housing, hotels, tourism, jobs and tax money for the palestinians.

Accepting Israel, peace with Israel, living side by side in cooperation with Israel will mean billions from outside to build gaza and the WB. It will mean borders open to the rest of the middle east and trade both ways for everyone.

Well, really, I have little right to speak on this as economics is hardly my strong suit. But my sense of it is that growing an economy depends on putting resources to use. What are the Palestinian resources? Agriculture. Tourism (especially in Gaza). There doesn't seem to be much else so far. But....that could change in the future. (Israel sure did a dang fine job of developing from limited resources).

The article came from some branch of U.N. The U.N. hates Israel. As does much of the media in the West. Not sure why, but it's obvious. Here is a perfect example of that.

Israeli Reporters Stunned by ‘Unreal’ CBS News Headline on Terror Attack Near Jerusalem Holy Sites

As for the points in the article just to list them:

Palestine would be economically more sound if ...
  • they had more actual, physical territory
  • if they had access to more water resources
  • if they could move freely within "their" territory
  • if they had no restrictions of movement to a foreign nation
  • if illegally built homes were not dismantled
  • if there were no "settlements" within "their" territory (read: if no Jews lived there)
  • if conflict did not destroy infrastructure

Maybe they could spend their resources on something besides rockets to shoot into Israel for starters.

They have a right to defend themselves and their land.

That isn't what they are doing and either you know that or are too stupid to know better.

That isn't what they are doing and either you know that or are too stupid to know better.

Really, those Palestinians were there at the turn of the century , even if under ottoman rule, then British. Pheasants always stayed and worked the land even when Rome took over they didn't make the pheasants leave. I bet the Palestinians would of had a country like Beirut if the Jews hadn't come in groves. Now the Palestine are suppose to be a people without a land. Ugh. Too bad they never had a chance, no British , American or German money to support them or elite Jews like Rothschild.

Really, those Palestinians were there at the turn of the century , even if under ottoman rule, then British. Pheasants always stayed and worked the land even when Rome took over they didn't make the pheasants leave. I bet the Palestinians would of had a country like Beirut if the Jews hadn't come in groves. Now the Palestine are suppose to be a people without a land. Ugh. Too bad they never had a chance, no British , American or German money to support them or elite Jews like Rothschild.
Indeed, the Palestinians were doing it on their own.

Israel was doing it on the mooch.

And firing illegal rockets into Israel is not defence it is a war crime and a declaration of war. Also attacking unarmed civilians is a war crime and an act of war not defence. The only defence they have under international law if your read tinnmores ICRC link is to go around armed and in uniform so they can be picked off as valid military targets by the IDF.

Your form of defence just results in more dead " civilians "

As Hamas deny aid to Gazans, they also spend $100 million a yr on military resources incl $40m on terror tunnels

Well, really, I have little right to speak on this as economics is hardly my strong suit. But my sense of it is that growing an economy depends on putting resources to use. What are the Palestinian resources? Agriculture. Tourism (especially in Gaza). There doesn't seem to be much else so far. But....that could change in the future. (Israel sure did a dang fine job of developing from limited resources).
(Israel sure did a dang fine job of developing from limited resources).​

Indeed, resources stolen from the Palestinians with development funds mooched from around the world.

This is what the Palestinian economy looks like

Would East Jerusalem Arabs Rather Be Citizens of Israel or Palestine?
In new survey, 35% say they are willing to relocate if their neighborhoods become part of a future Palestinian state;

only 30% say they would prefer Palestinian citizenship over Israeli.

When asked if they would move to a different location inside Israel, if their neighborhood became part of Palestine, 40 percent said they were likely to move to Israel, and 37 percent said they will not move. In comparison, 27percent said they are likely to move to Palestine if their neighborhood became part of Israel, and 54percent said they will not move.

When asked to provide the top reasons they chose one citizenship over the other, those who chose Israeli citizenship stressed freedom of movement in Israel, higher income, better job opportunities and Israeli health insurance.

Would East Jerusalem Arabs rather be citizens of Israel or Palestine?

guno, et al,

I am not sure that the Arab-Palestinians actually care that much about the politics as the do about the benefits of being an Israeli Citizen. They might have an expectation (in such a scenario) that they will actually see an improvement in the quality of life and the opportunities afforded for improved economic status.

Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back