What was the most beautiful thing you ever saw?

Early in my life:
When I was 12 or so, I was in the woods behind our house in Atlanta. It was Spring. I was sitting against a tree watching a mother wren coaxing her two fledglings to fly from a nest 5 feet away to the branch where she perched. The chicks wouldn't budge. Momma got louder and more urgent. The chicks worked their way out on a branch and leaned forward and flapped their wings but showed no signs of flying.

As a budding young aviator myself, I could feel the excitement coupled with danger the young chicks were feeling. I had yet to fly myself but wanted to badly. Now, I was witnessing first hand the physical risk and danger in taking that first leap. These two little chicks must fly or fail. I was rooting for them.

The mother was getting irritated. To my human ears, her chirps sounded just like, "Get over here. Don't make me come over there". The tone was unmistakable.

I glanced back at the two chicks. They had been quivering, chirping nervously and flapping their wings. Then, one of them stopped quivering. It became motionless and calm. I was breathless. It bent slightly at the knees, pointed its beak, pushed off the branch...and fell. After a foot or so it rapidly gained airspeed. It spread it's wings and flapped frantically and awkwardly toward its mother.

It made the short flight to its mother's branch and ploughed into it with what could only be called a controlled crash. Mother calmed a bit and the chick, now a full fledged bird started screaming hysterically.

After the commotion died down, the mother wren looked back to the other chick. The other chick stopped quivering too. Steeling itself, it bent its knees, leaned over into eternity and took the plunge. After another short flight and horrible landing, the mother wren was reunited with her brood.

Wow, I thought. So that's what it's going to be like.

5046660567_0e5ab19e30_m.jpg

Today:
When I hear my wife laugh--which is often. When I see her smile. When I know she's happy.
My heart takes that exciting flight from one branch to another. And it never gets old.

Too many beautiful things to count. If I picked one, I would be shortchanging the others.

There is a lot of beauty these eyes have seen, but what my heart has seen is beyond compare.

My Son is the most beautiful thing my heart has ever seen! :)

Just the other night, there was a full moon reflecting on the snow. It was so beautiful, it looked as if God sprinkled diamond dust all over the snow. It was mesmerizing. It actually looked like one of those sparkly Christmas cards

I don't think I have seen it yet, I have saw many beautiful things...sunset beaches, Tennessee Mountains at sunrise, waterfalls . etc. etc.
And then I could say the most beautiful thing was my two children when they were born, or my wife's face when she first saw our daughter (firstborn)
But I know what the most beautiful thing will be...when my first grandchild is born, for I will be old enough to truly appreciate the moment.

Grand kids kick it up several more notches!! You are in for a treat beyond your imagination.

As far as the world,standing at the very peak of Nroth Star peak,at Hosier pass Co. in Jan. The top of the world! The grand Cannon is right up there,so are the Carolina beaches,as a full moon come up over the waves,there are just to many!!

Jenny!

[ame=http://youtu.be/tvKzyYy6qvY]Forrest Gump (1/9) Movie CLIP - Peas and Carrots (1994) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back