What was Clint Eastwood's best film?

This one gets the award for the toughest one to watch, and is also one of the very best:

Gran_Torino_poster.jpg

yeah, I just saw that last week. don't know if I could watch it again.
It's just too tough to watch more than once. "A Perfect World" is alot the same way.

God damnit! I had a whole dissertation typed out on this subject, then lost it. I assure you it was brilliant. I addressed the fact that he did not act in all the movies he has directed (thank you RS, but you forgot Breezy. He pulled a Hitchcock in that film). I talked about the classic Leone films, Kelly's Heros, Joe Kidd, Two Mules for Sister Sarah, the Dirty Harry series. I mentioned Pale Rider and how that film breathed new life into the western genre. I talked about his recent work and how good that stuff is, then I finally decided on which movie I think is his best...

For the story, the supporting cast, and complexity of the character, I like Unforgiven for his best film.

Damn, knew I forgot one. :lol:

Gran Torino is a VERY powerful film as others have mentioned. Part of me feels that is Eastwood's best work. The last half of that film was just wow.

Clint Eastwood managed to keep bringing the Western genre back from many considered it's death. Pale Rider and Unforgiven being Exhibit A and B.

Last edited:
the outlaw josie wales

Going away!

I reckon so.

Granny Hawkins: They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?

Josey Wales: What's that?

Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.

[Walks off]

Granny Hawkins: You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: I reckon so.

I talked about the classic..... Kelly's Heros....

A close second to The Outlaw Josie Wales.

I mentioned that one in my original post.

Is there another actor who we've been able to watch grow in the craft as much as we have Eastwood? From the earliest films like Francis in the Navy to television classics like Rawhide to today's film work like Gran Torino? For fifty four years we've watched this man work, and it seems as though he gets better with every film, save the ones with that dang orangutan.

the outlaw josie wales

Going away!

I reckon so.

Granny Hawkins: They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?

Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.

[Walks off]

Lowdown murdering trash out of hell!! :lol:

Is there another actor who we've been able to watch grow in the craft as much as we have Eastwood? From the earliest films like Francis in the Navy to television classics like Rawhide to today's film work like Gran Torino? For fifty four years we've watched this man work, and it seems as though he gets better with every film, save the ones with that dang orangutan.
Save the SECOND one with Clyde.

The FIRST one though, hard to beat for flat-out good comedy.

It's very hard for anyone to say that Clint Eastwood isn't the greatest actor to ever live. He's also one of the few actors to successfully direct so many great films and write so much original scores for those films.

joseytenbears.jpg

I reckon so.

Going away!

I reckon so.

[Walks off]

Lowdown murdering trash out of hell!! :lol:

how is it on tobacco stains?

probably seen it 100 times now and the way he deals with that snake oil salesman still cracks me up.

:lol:

JOSEY: You a bounty hunter?

BOUNTY HUNTER: A man has to do something these days to earn a living.

JOSEY: Dyin' ain't much of a living boy

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Seriously though, if you looked up badass in the Dictionary, there would be a picture of Clint Eastwood under it. :lol:

JOSEY: I came here to die with you. Or live with you. Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's living that's hard; when all you ever cared about has been butchered or raped. Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well I've come here to give you either one, or get either one from you. I came here like this so you'll know my word of death is true. And that my word of life is then true. The bear lives here, the wolf, the antelope, the Comanche. And so will we. Now, we'll only hunt what we need to live on, same as the Comanche does. And every spring when the grass turns green and the Comanche moves north, he can rest here in peace, butcher some of our cattle and jerk beef for the journey. The sign of the Comanche, that will be on our lodge. That's my word of life.

The part I bolded should be put on a plaque somewhere.

this was my sig for awhile...i used a small font. :D

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life.

Gran Torino is by far his best role, in my opinion, but I think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a better film, overall. Directing, Mystic River was hands down a masterpiece - perfect story telling and perfect cast.

Forum List

Back