What the CBO really says about ObamaCare

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
The right is having a field day lying about the latest CBO report but, as usual, they're wrong.

The first attacks based on the CBO report on Obamacare and workers

The Thom Tillis ad, first highlighted by our colleague Greg Sargent, flashes this language when the voiceover asks, “How many workers will have to lose their jobs?” because of Hagan’s support for the health care law: “Congressional Budget Office estimates 2 million lost jobs due to Obamacare.”

But that’s not what the report says. Don’t take our word for it. Here’s what CBO Director Douglas W. Elmendorf said in congressional testimony when he was asked about claims that jobs are being lost because of the law:

The reason that we don’t use the term “lost jobs” is there’s a critical difference between people who like to work and can’t find a job or have a job that was lost for reasons beyond their control and people who choose not to work.

If somebody comes up to you and says, “Well, the boss said I’m being laid off because we don’t have enough business to pay me,” that person feels bad about that and we sympathize with them having lost their job.

If somebody comes to you and says, “I’ve decided to retire” or “I’ve decided to stay home and spend more time with my family” and “I’ve decided to spend more time doing my hobby,” they don’t feel bad about it, they feel good about it, and we don’t sympathize. We say congratulations. And we don’t say they’ve lost their job because they have chosen to leave that job.

But in the meantime, “costs jobs” attacks are going to keep earning Three Pinocchios.
Three Pinocchios
pinocchio_3.jpg

What the CBO report on Obamacare actually says about jobs - CBS News

The part of the CBO's analysis that has drawn the most attention is the agency's revised forecasts concerning the ACA's impact on the labor market. Specifically one sentence: "The reduction in CBO's projections of hours worked represents a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about 2.5 million in 2024."

Taken out of context, that sentence could be read to say the ACA will be responsible for a loss of 2.5 million jobs over the next decade. However, the report's previous paragraph states, "The ACA will reduce the total number of hours worked, on net, by about 1.5 percent to 2.0 percent during the period from 2017 to 2024, almost entirely because workers will choose to supply less labor -- given the new taxes and other incentives they will face and the financial benefits some will receive." So the phrase "a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers" is just a restatement of this in terms of how many full-time workers it is equal to

But, of course, the right will keep retelling the lie and that's all it takes for gullible rw's to swallow it whole.

Are you mentally retarded, or just a typical lying pice of shit leftist?

Let's translate the gobbledygook-gook: "This is an invitation to all low motivation slugs to pack it in, go on the dole, leach off the paying customers and soak up some of the $638B over the next ten years your benevolent plantation owners are diverting from Social Security contributors who worked for it to your worthless ass, plus the new taxes sucked out of the system to pay for your drug rehab."

Are you mentally retarded, or just a typical lying pice of shit leftist?

Do you take Paul Ryans word for it ??? he said that the CBO didn't say there would be a 2 .5 million job loss ... would you like to read what Ryan said ??? then come back here and apologize to us liberals for telling you the truth ??? or would you rather keep coming back and make a fool of your self even more cause we can help ya out there...

here's Paul Ryan ...read it a weep
http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...#axzz2sjcEHVHb

Your second link is not to the CBO report. Find it and read it.

Ahhhhh, you caught on to the blog, blog, blog, blog, blog, OPINION rebuttal.

Good on ya'! :thup:

you got a lot of nerve ... please show us here where it says any where in the cbo report that the ACA will cause job loss ??? or are you going to weasel out of that too ??? we know you will... its your nature

here is the PDF file so now you can show us where it says it caused job loss
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...utlook2014.pdf

Last edited:
Let's translate the gobbledygook-gook: "This is an invitation to all low motivation slugs to pack it in, go on the dole, leach off the paying customers and soak up some of the $638B over the next ten years your benevolent plantation owners are diverting from Social Security contributors who worked for it to your worthless ass, plus the new taxes sucked out of the system to pay for your drug rehab."

First:
and your point is??? what is your point here ... seems a little racist I would say ... you're implying that any body that doesn't work full time, use to be plantation workers and who own ya ... is that's code for N word or not ...you tell us ...

Second:
your social security is based on what you as a worker put into it and your employer ... it has nothing to do what you put in to yours ... its their social security ... if the choose to put in just a little for social security then they only get a little for social security ... as for medicare they pay into that too so where you get this you're being abused by them not working long hours is just in your psychotic head ... your psychotic racist head ...

Obama, the Greatest President in US history that simply never materialized.

glad you can understand that ... its about time ...

libertarian !!!! now that's funny ... show us anywhere in the world that and fool country would ever want to be a
libertarian country the country would fall ... libertarian who believes government shouldn't have any interference on how government should be run ...

Last edited:
Are we to believe that all of a sudden Americans woke up one day and at the ripe old age of 55 said...
What the fuck! I just don't feel like working so hard anymore.
And why should I ?....

I have the Democrat party behind me supporting me.
I will work a 30 hr week...get medical insurance that will be subsidized by the poor saps that will have to support me.... and will stay home in my PJ's and just watch the world go by....

After all Nancy Pelosi said it's there for all of us now to do this.
But we still need the assholes that will go out and bust their asses in order for us to enjoy this new
America that the Democrats are creating for us....

Good fucking grief!

Democrats are so slick...

Employers cut hours because of ObamaCare.
Workers are encouraged to accept that so they can
write poetry or whatever and think it's their idea.
And they get subsidized to work less.

Is this the America that we want people.
Work less and get more from government.

libertarian !!!! now that's funny ... show us anywhere in the world that and fool country would ever want to be a
libertarian country the country would fall ... libertarian who believes government shouldn't have any interference on how government should be run ...

Oh dea gwad not this ignorant shit again.

Early US = libertarian = success

late US = progressive = bankrupt

Done, easy... But you knew all that.

you got a lot of nerve ... please show us here where it says any where in the cbo report that the ACA will cause job loss ??? or are you going to weasel out of that too ??? we know you will... its your nature

From your link...

CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE
SUPPORTING THE CONGRESS SINCE 1975
HOME
ABOUT
TOPICS
COST ESTIMATES
MY CBO

Page not found

The requested page could not be found.

CBO | The Slow Recovery of the Labor Market

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/45011-LaborMarketReview.pdf

Two links for ya Billy.
Read up!

Are we to believe that all of a sudden Americans woke up one day and at the ripe old age of 55 said...
What the fuck! I just don't feel like working so hard anymore.
And why should I ?....

I have the Democrat party behind me supporting me.
I will work a 30 hr week...get medical insurance that will be subsidized by the poor saps that will have to support me.... and will stay home in my PJ's and just watch the world go by....

After all Nancy Pelosi said it's there for all of us now to do this.
But we still need the assholes that will go out and bust their asses in order for us to enjoy this new
America that the Democrats are creating for us....

Good fucking grief!
great post!!!!​
If that doesn't say republican all over I don't know what does ...

Oh dea gwad not this ignorant shit again.

Early US = libertarian = success

late US = progressive = bankrupt

Done, easy... But you knew all that.

there hasn't been anything that a libertarian in their entire existence of the word libertarian, that has one once of success in it but you keep trying ..

From your link...

CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE
SUPPORTING THE CONGRESS SINCE 1975
HOME
ABOUT
TOPICS
COST ESTIMATES
MY CBO

Page not found

The requested page could not be found.

CBO | The Slow Recovery of the Labor Market

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/45011-LaborMarketReview.pdf

Two links for ya Billy.
Read up!

so you're saying my source is bogus ... thanks it came from one of your republican morons here ...
A Rooincarnation
Member #40954

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,052 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Antares could be on the Supreme Court
Antares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme CourtAntares could be on the Supreme Court
; Just for you po lil folk.....LL all of that is from your section C.....

Last edited:
Blah, anyone else tired of the spin from these Obamabot stooges?

they have nothing else so lying to the Amercian people isn't beneath them as we've already live through

from the washingtoncompost:
If somebody comes to you and says, “I’ve decided to retire” or “I’ve decided to stay home and spend more time with my family” and “I’ve decided to spend more time doing my hobby,” they don’t feel bad about it, they feel good about it, and we don’t sympathize. We say congratulations. And we don’t say they’ve lost their job because they have chosen to leave that job.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back