What, specifically, do you think Obama has done wrong in terms of the economy?

Why do YOU blame (or don't blame) Obama for the high unemployment rate? What policies of his (or lack thereof) have been detrimental in your opinion?

Support your answer with outside sources. Otherwise, don't waste your time answering. The same ole Republican/Democratic rhetoric isn't going to fly this time. I want hard data and analysis.
No, you said in another thread: the stimulus created jobs. So everything is really OK. What you see on the news is just right wing spin. Right?

Obama has been the most anti business president in history. From his demonizing BP, to subverting the rule of law in the Chrysler/GM bankruptcies, to his Health Dept going after insurers for speaking the truth his administraiton has shown itself no friend of business. All of that has a chilling effect. WHo wants to hire more employess when the bill to do so is unknown? Who wants to expand when environmental regs will suddenly change and put the company out of business? Who wants to be the next guy highlighted by the WH for "special treatment" because he made one bad decision?
The result of all of these, plus other policies and laws, has been to make business hunker down and wait for better times. Thus job creation is miserable. This is the worst recovery on record since the Depression.

BP killed 11 Americans.

BP killed 11 Americans.

Bullshit.

Memorial service honors 11 dead oil rig workers - USATODAY.com

Memorial service honors 11 dead oil rig workers
Attendees leave Tuesday's memorial service at the Jackson Convention Center in Mississippi.

DEEPWATER HORIZON VICTIMS

Jason C. Anderson, 35, Midfield, Texas, father of two.

Aaron Dale Burkeen, 37, Philadelphia, Miss., married, father of two (14-year-old daughter Aryn and 6-year-old son Timothy), died four days before his 38th birthday.

Donald Clark, 49, Newellton, La., married to Sheila Clark.

Stephen Ray Curtis, 39, Georgetown, La., married and had two teenagers. Taught his son to hunt and play baseball and was active in his church.

Roy Wyatt Kemp, 27, Jonesville, La., married to Courtney Kemp.

Karl D. Kleppinger Jr., 38, Natchez, Miss., U.S. Army veteran of Operation Desert Storm, enjoyed NASCAR and cooking barbecue. Married with one son, Aaron.

Gordon L. Jones, 28, Baton Rouge. Wife Michelle Jones was nine months pregnant with their second son when he died.

Keith Blair Manuel, 56, Gonzales, La., father of three (Kelli Taquino, Jessica Manchester and Ashley Jo Manuel). Engaged to Melinda Becnel. Had season tickets to Louisiana State University baseball and football games.

Dewey A. Revette, 48, State Line, Miss., married with two daughters. Had been with Transocean for 29 years.

Shane M. Roshto, 22, Liberty, Miss., married to Natalie Roshto, father of 3-year-old Blain Michael.

Adam Weise, 24, Yorktown, Texas. During time off, the former high school football star spent time with his girlfriend, hunted deer and fished from his boat.

Sources: Transocean, Associated Press, (Opelousas, La.) Daily World

By William M. Welch and Chris Joyner, USA TODAY
JACKSON, Miss. — They sometimes seem to be forgotten victims as the nation focuses on efforts to stop the massive oil spill fouling the Gulf of Mexico.
But the 11 men who died in the rig explosion off the Louisiana coast were remembered Tuesday in a somber memorial service here, where hundreds of family and friends gathered.

Guess it's not something you really care about.

Do you know how many Americans are killed by illegals every year? Guess it's not something you really care about hey?

No, you said in another thread: the stimulus created jobs. So everything is really OK. What you see on the news is just right wing spin. Right?

Obama has been the most anti business president in history. From his demonizing BP, to subverting the rule of law in the Chrysler/GM bankruptcies, to his Health Dept going after insurers for speaking the truth his administraiton has shown itself no friend of business. All of that has a chilling effect. WHo wants to hire more employess when the bill to do so is unknown? Who wants to expand when environmental regs will suddenly change and put the company out of business? Who wants to be the next guy highlighted by the WH for "special treatment" because he made one bad decision?
The result of all of these, plus other policies and laws, has been to make business hunker down and wait for better times. Thus job creation is miserable. This is the worst recovery on record since the Depression.

BP killed 11 Americans.

Attendees leave Tuesday's memorial service at the Jackson Convention Center in Mississippi.

Aaron Dale Burkeen, 37, Philadelphia, Miss., married, father of two (14-year-old daughter Aryn and 6-year-old son Timothy), died four days before his 38th birthday.

Stephen Ray Curtis, 39, Georgetown, La., married and had two teenagers. Taught his son to hunt and play baseball and was active in his church.

Karl D. Kleppinger Jr., 38, Natchez, Miss., U.S. Army veteran of Operation Desert Storm, enjoyed NASCAR and cooking barbecue. Married with one son, Aaron.

Gordon L. Jones, 28, Baton Rouge. Wife Michelle Jones was nine months pregnant with their second son when he died.

Keith Blair Manuel, 56, Gonzales, La., father of three (Kelli Taquino, Jessica Manchester and Ashley Jo Manuel). Engaged to Melinda Becnel. Had season tickets to Louisiana State University baseball and football games.

Dewey A. Revette, 48, State Line, Miss., married with two daughters. Had been with Transocean for 29 years.

Shane M. Roshto, 22, Liberty, Miss., married to Natalie Roshto, father of 3-year-old Blain Michael.

Adam Weise, 24, Yorktown, Texas. During time off, the former high school football star spent time with his girlfriend, hunted deer and fished from his boat.

JACKSON, Miss. — They sometimes seem to be forgotten victims as the nation focuses on efforts to stop the massive oil spill fouling the Gulf of Mexico.
But the 11 men who died in the rig explosion off the Louisiana coast were remembered Tuesday in a somber memorial service here, where hundreds of family and friends gathered.

Do you know how many Americans are killed by illegals every year? Guess it's not something you really care about hey?

I think his heart would be broken if he realized those killed were due to Democrats hand walking the lawsuit through the courts to avoid environmental and safety concerns

BP killed 11 Americans.

Bullshit.

I care about accuracy. That's a strange concept to you, I know.
The truth is BP did not kill 11 people. Any more than GM and Chrysler kill 40k people per year.

He's been in charge for three years, for two years he had a majority in both houses

He did nothing for the economy and nothing for UE.

Why? I could conjecture to amuse myself, but I'd like to hear your reasons for his failures.

And please none of this party of no bs, that's been debunked by obama on 60 minutes.

Obama's hyper-diplomatic approach with Republicans has been costly. I also blame the inaction on the democrat controlled congress in the first two years. That being said, I think Obama has made a genuine effort to improve the economy. He was just a little misguided. How this has affected the UE is unclear, but there is no denying that there has been steady (although slight) economic growth in the past 9 months.

Yes, there's no denying that even after multiple failures, the system is still able to self correct with no help form obama at all.

Yes, there's no denying that even after the complete failure of the administration that preceded Obama and extensive obstruction from the GOP, the economy is on the upswing.

There, fixed it for you.

Last edited:
Why do YOU blame (or don't blame) Obama for the high unemployment rate? What policies of his (or lack thereof) have been detrimental in your opinion?

Support your answer with outside sources. Otherwise, don't waste your time answering. The same ole Republican/Democratic rhetoric isn't going to fly this time. I want hard data and analysis.

I wouldn't count on in depth analysis from this crowd, Billy.

But I'll chime in.

I believe of the things that this admin failed to do was make the stimulus large enough to have the impact it might have had.

$780 billion minus about 40% of it which came in form of tax breaks, just wasn't enough money to have a signficcant impact a fibrilating 14 trillion dollar GDP.

The stimulus should have been larger, but could he have gotten more money?

But I'll chime in.

I believe of the things that this admin failed to do was make the stimulus large enough to have the impact it might have had.

$780 billion minus about 40% of it which came in form of tax breaks, just wasn't enough money to have a signficcant impact a fibrilating 14 trillion dollar GDP.

How large should it have been? It grew relentlessly as it was discussed, until they passed about the largest stimulus that had been talked about.
And it still failed.

But I'll chime in.

Ah the it wasnt big enough story, thats why it failed, so pass mini stim 2 the failure will only be half.

Great plan.

So, to re-cap the "conservative" position so far ... not having a new pipeline is the new reason to blame Obama for the economy, companies that kill American citizens must not be demonized (it hurts "their" feelings"), 500,000 government lay offs and population growth should not be considered when discussing unemployment. Well, not discussed when there is a Democratic President.

Back in reality, what the rest of us saw was a stimulus package that stopped the bleeding but didn't get us back on our feet. Any reputable economist agrees (now). The package did create millions of jobs though. True story. And of course, we saw a DROP in federal spending from 2009 to 2010, something "conservatives" literally ignore. I mean literally. They refuse to even argue the point! It's awesome.

Citing my source: Historical Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

And that's before talking about taxes being at their lowest level in generations! All in all, I think Obama is doing a good job. Not great, but good.

So, to re-cap the "conservative" position so far ... not having a new pipeline is the new reason to blame Obama for the economy, companies that kill American citizens must not be demonized (it hurts "their" feelings"), 500,000 government lay offs and population growth should not be considered when discussing unemployment. Well, not discussed when there is a Democratic President.

Back in reality, what the rest of us saw was a stimulus package that stopped the bleeding but didn't get us back on our feet. Any reputable economist agrees (now). The package did create millions of jobs though. True story. And of course, we saw a DROP in federal spending from 2009 to 2010, something "conservatives" literally ignore. I mean literally. They refuse to even argue the point! It's awesome.

And that's before talking about taxes being at their lowest level in generations! All in all, I think Obama is doing a good job. Not great, but good.

Not a new reason.
An additional reason.

Illegals kill Americans. You in a sweat about that?

Yes, but why is it Obama's fault that the UE is up? That is the basic point of my OP.

He's been in charge for three years, for two years he had a majority in both houses

He did nothing for the economy and nothing for UE.

Why? I could conjecture to amuse myself, but I'd like to hear your reasons for his failures.

And please none of this party of no bs, that's been debunked by obama on 60 minutes.

Obama's hyper-diplomatic approach with Republicans has been costly. I also blame the inaction on the democrat controlled congress in the first two years. That being said, I think Obama has made a genuine effort to improve the economy. He was just a little misguided. How this has affected the UE is unclear, but there is no denying that there has been steady (although slight) economic growth in the past 9 months.

Do you start the morning off by smoking up a fatty, Billy? I ask that not to be insulting but because I'm truely baffled by your "take" on things.

First of all, Barack Obama was hardly "diplomatic" with his approach to Republicans. When he told them in their meeting early in 2009 "Elections have consequences...I won..." that wasn't being diplomatic..that was telling your opponents (to use another of his "diplomatic" statements from back then) to go sit in the back of the bus. Obama's lack of bi-partisanship when he held his super-majorities set the tone for his current relationship with the people across the aisle. He took great delight in ignoring their concerns when he didn't need them and now they loath him for it.

As for Obama's "genuine effort" to improve the economy? Let's examine that effort...shall we? Exactly what did he spend most of his time on during his first year in office? It wasn't the economy, Billy...oh no...he spent most of his time and most of his political capital on ObamaCare. The economy got put on a back burner while he pursued the piece of legislation that he thought would define his Presidency. If you were one of the millions of unemployed in the private sector you were expected to be patient and wait because Barack had a more important issue to deal with than getting the economy back on track. Of course if you were in one of his core constituancies like public sector workers or a green energy company he used the Obama Stimulus to throw you a life preserver to keep you afloat...but if you were in the private sector? You were expected to keep on treading water until he got around to creating jobs. And if you went under while that happened? Oh well...sorry about that!

Let's also examine Obama's behavior towards the business community while he was pushing for ObamaCare and the Obama Stimulus. Do you remember him roundly chastising the banks for making the sub prime loans that were responsible for the housing bubble and collapse? (Ignoring of course that it was government that prompted that sub prime lending by threatening banks with legal action if they DIDNT loan to unqualified applicants) Telling us all that it was the banks irresponsible actions that were why we were in the situation we were in? So what do you think was the response by bankers to the onslaught of criticism from the President? Well, no surprise there...they tightened up lending. Then Obama started whining about how the reason the housing market wasn't recovering like he'd hoped was because the banks were being uncooperative and not making loans. Gee, Mr. President...make up your mind. Either the bankers are bad guys because they made loans they probably shouldn't have (under pressure from people like Obama) or they are the bad guys because they stopped making those loans after you ripped them a new one from your bully pulpit. You can't have it both ways.

How about we take a good look at how this Administration reacted to a oil drilling disaster in the Gulf? For decades now, environmentalists have pushed to have drilling done further and further from our coasts (citing the dangers of spills even though the safty record of shallow water drillers was almost perfect) prompting deep water drilling in thousands of feet of water. So BP cuts corners on Deepwater Horizon, the rig fails and starts pumping millions of barrels of crude oil into the Gulf and guess what? It can't be fixed because it took place at such a depth. See how an illogical policy ends up biting you in the ass? So now you've got this huge leak and how does the Obama Administration respond? They shut down drilling permits to ALL drilling in the Gulf. Not just the deep water rigs like Deepwater Horizon...oh, no...they take advantage of the situation to stop ALL new drilling in the Gulf including the shallow water drilling that has the almost perfect safety record. They shut it down and they put tens of thousands of people in an already ravaged Gulf Coast out of work. Then despite repeated calls from both Republican AND Democratic politicians from the Gulf Coast they kept that moratorium in place month after month after month. They kept it in place so long that most of the drilling companies gave up and moved their drilling rigs to other places around the globe. Once those rigs are gone? They aren't coming back for years if ever. Now that's a real blow to the economy of the Gulf Coast and to jobs in the Gulf Coast but the environmentalists that Obama put in charge of drilling don't care. They don't like drilling and they don't like fossil fuels. Bye bye jobs...

Or let's examine what Obama's Justice Department has been up to since he took office. Boeing builds a huge new airplane plant in South Carolina but Eric Holder and the Justice Department sues them to prevent it's opening because they want to protect union jobs in Washington state. The message being sent to American business is that you're not ALLOWED to build factories in right to work States instead of States that are heavily unionized and if you try to do so we will tie you up in court and cost you millions of dollars in legal fees.

Then let's look at the legislation that Obama lobbied hard for but couldn't get once he lost his super majorities. Do you remember him telling us that Cap & Trade and Card Check were next up on his "agenda"? Two measures that would have made the cost of doing business here in the US much more expensive. Now what do you think the effect on new job creation was with THOSE two things hanging over the business community's head like Damocle's sword? Now combine THAT with the uncertainty of what ObamaCare was going to add to the bottom line. President Obama's "actions" are what kept businesses from investing the billions of dollars they were sitting on.

You say Obama was a "little misguided"? That's quite the understatement... He's been as oblivious to what HIS actions resulted in, as you seem to be.

Really now? All illegals are killers?

Honestly, set down the crack pipe.

But I'll chime in.

How large should it have been? It grew relentlessly as it was discussed, until they passed about the largest stimulus that had been talked about.
And it still failed.

There are absolutely zero studies showing the stimulus failed. At best you could find a study that shows a small positive, but you cannot find one that says it failed, because it did not fail.

Repeating that for the Perry fans: the stimulus did NOT fail.

The stimulus should have been closer to $2T and should have been all spending projects with no tax cuts. Had it been that size, we would not be having this conversation.

Do you have reading issues? Did you see the word "all" in her post?
Fail.

And it still failed.

There are absolutely zero studies showing the stimulus failed. At best you could find a study that shows a small positive, but you cannot find one that says it failed, because it did not fail.

Repeating that for the Perry fans: the stimulus did NOT fail.

The stimulus should have been closer to $2T and should have been all spending projects with no tax cuts. Had it been that size, we would not be having this conversation.

When you spend a trillion dollars of borrowed money and the situation doesn't improve I find it hard to define that as a success. When you say that you have hundreds of thousands of "shovel ready" jobs and then admit a year later that the jobs didn't actually exist I find it hard to define that as a success. When you have to come back two years later and ask for further funds because without them you will have to lay off public sector workers and cease unemployment benefits I find it hard to define that as a success.

Increasing government debt. Inflating the dollar. Obamacare. Preventing the pipeline. Increasing regulation.

Increasing government debt: yes. Inflating the dollar: he had a miniscule contribution to this. Obamacare has been both costly and beneficial.

The pipeline? Come on. I feel like that is the go-to criticism for Obama these days. You Obama haters have run out of things to complain about so you keep bringing this up.

There is no evidence that Obama's regulations have hindered economic growth:

Do regulations curtail job growth? | Decisions Based on Evidence

I was unaware I needed your approval to point out specific policies in response to a question you ask. Next time Ill try to ask whether you really want to hear the answers or you are just going to engage in spin control to ignore them.

We don't hate Obama. We hate his policies which are destroying our nation. You know, the policies you want to pretend are perfectly alright.

Stop using logic to fuel your obvious hatred of Obama. We all know it can't be policy driven. That's just a cover for a more insideous reason for opposing Obama. So what is it really?!

Do you have reading issues? Did you see the word "all" in her post?
Fail.

Oh, so some illegals kill some Americans then? Is that what she is trying to say? Because in that case, she should just say it, and also, yes, I would be in a sweat about it. Not to the point I would attack all illegals though. Which I know is what she wants.

Forum List

Back