What Should Be The Punishment?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    [​IMG]

Woman, 37, arrested after pushing, injuring 100-year-old Walmart greeter | cleveland.com

So what should happen to the woman who pushed her? Seems like fairly serious stuff to me...she easily could have killed her.

Your thoughts?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,033
    aggravated assault?

3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    The "aggravated" part is supposed to be a weapon, in most jurisdictions. If these two had been of similar age, etc. this would be simple assault, but given the victim's advanced age, I was thinking some sort of attempted homicide. You break a bone on a woman that old, they generally do not recover.

Maybe I'm being too harsh....but this is so outrageous, a normal punishment just does not seem appropriate to me.

4. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    She should be charged with attempted suicide. A woman that old has no business standing in the way of Walmart shoppers.:lol:

5. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Definitely assault. I'm not sure about aggravated assault, anybody know the WI standard on that? Seems to me you're right about a weapon usually being involved...I'm not sure the age of the vic matters in guilt, only sentencing.

But it's Milwaukee, 'nuff said. :D

What I want to know is why is a 100-year-old woman working with the public at Christmas season? Between the various assorted pushing and shoving idiots, germ-ridden kiddies and "Whoops, we forgot to salt it" icy sidewalks it's a wonder she made it this long. Especially at Wal-Mart.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    WI doesn't have "assault and battery" as I remember (I'm in Alabama). I think the case is for battery.
    The question becomes what kind. If there was intent to cause great bodily harm...then it would be one class of felony...if you just created the RISK for great bodily harm it would be something lesser.

I'm not sure if all this would classify as GREAT or SUBSTANTIAL bodily harm (the scheme WI uses), but your instincts are correct that with the extreme age of the victim this could be circumspect. You'd have to look at the law and see if there's a case that says "don't look at the actual harm, look at what could have happened, even if extremely hypothetical.

To get pissed that Wal-Mart's looking in your cart is utterly retarded. We all know the game. And don't pin it on the old lady...she didnt assume the risk, no matter how stupid people get.

7. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    You're right that she didn't assume the risk. I'm just wondering why a 100-year-old woman would take the chance. Hopefully by her own choice and not out of necessity.

8. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Very true. I think old people do the job to get some human contact. My dad suffered a stroke after my mother died and he gets really lonely sometimes...so I think that might be it.

Fun fact: My wife's cousin was the guy who came up with the idea for Wal-Mart greeters! ha ha.

9. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Good response. Just because people are old in a physical sense, does not mean they are old in heart or spirit. It's a way to get out and avoid a few less hours of loneliness. Maybe they're just "people people."

It really doesn't matter. One thing that is being overlooked is the crass behavior and lack of respect of the younger woman. All she had to do was have her sales receipt in her hand until she got outside the door. Pretty simple.

Whatever the penalty is in WI - she should get the maximum. There's no defense for what she did. For such a wild reaction, I would say the old lady probably "caught her in the act" and the woman didn't like it.

10. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Excellent! Now we know who to blame. :lol:

The greeters kind of annoy me. Especially when I'm in a hurry and have the little people with me. :rolleyes: