Debate Now What should be the goal of our prison system?

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by Grampa Murked U, Jan 13, 2020.

?

What say you?

1. Reformation

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Hard time

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. A mix of both

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Bruce_T_Laney

Bruce_T_Laney Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,223
    Prison should be for reform and reeducation back into our society if possible.

Someone smoking weed is not a crime to me but robbing your mother ( not you ) is one that should be punished with hard labor and community service in some form when you have one year left on your sentence.

Hard core crimes like cold blooded murder is a toss away the keys moment but I also feel the person should pay their debt to the family or families and if the family agree to execution then kill the person.

Again it depends on the crime but one thing is for sure cellphone usage should be treated like a DUI because too many senseless deaths because of people being reckless while driving...

So a mix of both emphasizing on reeducation, hard labor and last year of sentence should focus on community service...

Yoar cool but I am cooler...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. 22lcidw

22lcidw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    It has taken resources from man's sports which play many vital roles for males and gave them for mostly useless women's sports. most of the money taken in from colleges are from Football and Men's Basketball. We see the resuts with male poverty and violence and don't get it. When midnight basketball was started a couple of decades ago or so in poorer neighborhoods there was a reason. As the poverty rate keeps inching up there will be a blow off point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Likkmee

Likkmee Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,274
    Hard choices

orgcrime.jpg

4. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,100
    wow, That was the dumbest thing ever written.

Seriously...cutting scholarships has resulted in more crime?

5. 22lcidw

22lcidw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    There is a difference between men's sports and women's sports. Men live by testosterone and potential violence if conditions are right. Sports is an outlet. Money detoured to women's sports leaves less money for men's sports or activities to tire males. Now there are people who will skewer me for this. And if I had daughters I would understand it from that angle. There is not enough funds to cover and help everyone in our nation. You see the areas where there is chaos and anarchy. You see the drug problems we have. If we improve things for men then we will improve things for women. But we won't learn and will still be heading towards massive violence at some point. Why? Because that is the human way throughout history.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,100
    Wow

Amazingly other cultures without Title IX have far less violence.

7. Bleipriester

Bleipriester Freedom!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,021
    The only prison policy is profit. That´s a reason for the large prison population. People without money get harsh punishments that are arranged between judiciary and private prison company.

8. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,087
    But then I feel like, you are rewarding people for bad behavior. Because I have watched documentaries on people who intentionally get sent to prison. In fact, I had a family member who robbed quick-marts, got caught, went to prison, got training, and came out a Union pipefitter making good money.

Now you can say "See that's proof it works"... but I can't help but think... did we just punish victims to reward criminals? The very people this guy was pointing a gun at, paid the taxes so this guy could get free training, and get a middle class income. And think about it... the people he was pointing the gun at were poor people. Or at least they are low-income people.

So we are taxing the people who had a gun shoved in their face, to pay for the criminal to get a middle class income?
    Maybe if we had it setup so that people who got out of prison, and earned $30K a year or more, had to pay back the cost of the education.

But to have crime victim people, pay taxes so law breaking people can get a middle class income, while they stay poor....

There is just something morally wrong about this.

And honestly if we're giving them free education, so they don't commit crime.... then something is wrong. That's like legal extortion. That's like a mafia. You need to pay protection money, and then we won't burn down your house.

We have to pay criminals to keep them from being criminal? Terrible.

If we can't ever trust a criminal to not commit crime out of prison, then he should never leave prison.

It's that simple. And I don't buy this idea that you get out of prison, and it is impossible to find work. You can find work. It may not be great work, or high pay work, but you can find work.

You can get a job a McDonald's. I know people who have done it. You can get promoted at McDonald's. I know people with convictions, that are in management.

There are programs for ex-convicts, with free training from charities, and job placement.

Not saying it's easy, or that it won't be a struggle. But I don't know anyone anywhere, that never had to struggle. And yes, it is more of a struggle for an ex-convict, and it should be. That's why you don't commit crime.

9. 22lcidw

22lcidw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    Perhaps we tolerate it.