What NBC's Foreign Correspondent Had To Say

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
This certainly doesn't bode well for Obama's legacy. One of his own had to admit failure of this president. WOW!

On the May 29 edition of CNBC’s Squawk Box, Richard Engel, NBC’s chief foreign correspondent, conceded that he could not name a single nation where relations have improved with the United States since President Obama took office six years ago. Engel generally stays above the political fray, so this admission about the president’s foreign policy is revealing.

Responding to further questioning by Home Depot co-founder Ken Langone, Engel asserted that the reason why relations with foreign nations haven’t improved is due to the fact that “our allies have become confused.”

LANGONE: I can name all the countries where the relationships have gotten worse. I'm asking you to give me one country where they have gotten better.

ENGEL: Yeah. I think you would be hard pressed to find that. And I think this is the reason–

LANGONE: Isn’t that a measure of foreign policy?

ENGEL: Even our allies –yeah. And I think the reason is our allies have become confused. For eight years you had the Bush administration with a very interventionist policy, driving into world affairs, driving primarily into the Islamic world army first, or fist first. And that was very unpopular with many of our allies. But toward the end, after 8 years, people adjusted to it. Now you have a presidency that for the last six years is pulling out very rapidly. And that is creating a kind of pump action, a vortex of instability that has left allies like Saudi Arabia, like Egypt, like even some European countries very confused. Are we going in? Are we pulling out? Are we leading? Are we trying to set the agenda? That has been a lot of frustration. So in terms of the foreign policy objectives laid out in West Point, yes, he talked about ending these two unpopular wars. But I do sympathize with some of the things said in the Wall Street Journal. Right now we have a black hole in Syria. Iraq is in a state of collapse. Libya is about to go back into a civil war. And this was the one case where we intervened militarily. So I think there is a lot of problems on the horizon in the foreign policy world just because you are off-ramping in Afghanistan.

Read more: NBC's Richard Engel Admits U.S. Relations Have Not Improved With a Single Nation Under Obama | NewsBusters

What the hell does the owner of Homo Depot know about foreign policy?

(And I'm sure Engel was taken out of context. )

So the usual suspects from the left can't even debate the obvious facts?

Far be it for me to speak for the left but what is there to debate? One can easily make the argument that Obama's foreign policy vision is a bit ... blurry, and so they did.

But Obama's foreign policy failure wasn't noted by Langone but rather by Richard Engel, NBC’s chief foreign correspondent, conceded that he could not name a single nation where relations have improved with the United States since President Obama took office six years ago. Did you purposely ignore that little FACT?

And your credentials are?

I'm not the one pretending to be a foreign policy expert.

"For eight years you had the Bush administration with a very interventionist policy, driving into world affairs, driving primarily into the Islamic world army first, or fist first. And that was very unpopular with many of our allies. But toward the end, after 8 years, people adjusted to it. Now you have a presidency that for the last six years is pulling out very rapidly. And that is creating a kind of pump action, a vortex of instability that has left allies like Saudi Arabia, like Egypt, like even some European countries very confused. Are we going in? Are we pulling out? Are we leading? Are we trying to set the agenda? That has been a lot of frustration. So in terms of the foreign policy objectives laid out in West Point, yes, he talked about ending these two unpopular wars. But I do sympathize with some of the things said in the Wall Street Journal. Right now we have a black hole in Syria. Iraq is in a state of collapse. Libya is about to go back into a civil war. And this was the one case where we intervened militarily. So I think there is a lot of problems on the horizon in the foreign policy world just because you are off-ramping in Afghanistan."

Forum List

Back