What makes American police use deadly force much more often than German police?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
Hi, I would like to know the opinion of American police officers on why all of the German police force only used 85 shots in total in 2013. Germany has around 82 mio people so about a quarter of the US population, but the US has exponentially more firearm use from police.

What makes american police use deadly force much more often than German police (or any other European force)?

Hi, I would like to know the opinion of American police officers on why all of the German police force only used 85 shots in total in 2013. Germany has around 82 mio people so about a quarter of the US population, but the US has exponentially more firearm use from police.

What makes american police use deadly force much more often than German police (or any other European force)?

How many more exactly?

America has many more mean, destructive, bad-ass motherscratchers than does Germany.
And they are all packing heat.

America and its freedoms were won with guns.

Germany had its guns confiscated long ago by a rather unruly guy. That's how he got away with his pranks.

Gun culture.

America has many more mean, destructive, bad-ass motherscratchers than does Germany.

Yup, just said that. Great minds think alike.

America and its freedoms were won with guns.

Germany had its guns confiscated long ago by a rather unruly guy. That's how he got away with his pranks.

Really? Who?

My goodness you make me want to emigrate to Germany. I agree with your points as to why US society is the way it is. It's quite entrenched. In fact... So entrenched, I wonder what could ever be done to fix it.

the gestapo killed plenty of persons

Maybe because the police over there uses their nightsticks to break the arm of the skinny guy with a knife. Over here 20 cops start shooting making a sieve out of the fellow because by law they "fear for their lives." That's one reason for the difference. On the other hand, I agree with
Germany had its guns confiscated long ago by a rather unruly guy.

Uhh--- he's talking about peacetime here.

The reason is the police in this country have been sold on the "warrior mentality", as opposed to "guardian mentality" --- which means instead of the citizenry being the entity they protect and serve, we become the prey. And that takes bigger and bigger guns, tanks, missiles, planes... actually they're not up to planes yet, just helicopters, but it's only a matter of time.

Actually we've all been sold on the "warrior mentality", and the police is the natural place for its deposits to concentrate. That's what I mean by "gun culture". Warrior mentality is an inevitable outgrowth of it.

Warrior Cops -- The Ominous Growth of Paramilitarism in American Police Departments

Last edited:

Our criminals are more violent and have less respect for authority figures.....

Keep in mind...if you average in the number of people murdered by the German government, about 12 million...they far outpace our cops for killing crimnals.....our guys are at least shooting criminals...the Germans murdered innocent men, women and children......

The reason is the police in this country have been sold on the "warrior mentality", as opposed to "guardian mentality" --- which means instead of the citizenry being the entity they protect and serve, we become the prey. And that takes bigger and bigger guns, tanks, missiles, planes... actually they're not up to planes yet, just helicopters, but it's only a matter of time.

Actually we've all been sold on the "warrior mentality", and the police is the natural place for its deposits to concentrate. That's what I mean by "gun culture". Warrior mentality is an inevitable outgrowth of it.

"we" are not the prey

get a grip

--LOL

Maybe because the police over there uses their nightsticks to break the arm of the skinny guy with a knife. Over here 20 cops start shooting making a sieve out of the fellow because by law they "fear for their lives." That's one reason for the difference. On the other hand, I agree with

how many stops does the police make a day

compared to how many times they have shot the perp

Keep in mind...if you average in the number of people murdered by the German government, about 12 million...they far outpace our cops for killing crimnals.....our guys are at least shooting criminals...the Germans murdered innocent men, women and children......

Do you actually not understand the difference between "war" and "peacetime"? :disbelief:

"we" are not the prey

get a grip

--LOL

I see you've lucked out so far.
Hope you never have to find out.

"we" are not the prey

get a grip

--LOL

what a nutty thing to say

--LOL

I don't understand… let me see. OK, I got it. By your reasoning after a certain amount of stops they are "entitled" for one shot, is that how it works?

I don't understand… let me see. OK, I got it. By your reasoning after a certain amount of stops they are "entitled" for one shot, is that how it works?

that would be your irrational reasoning

"we" are not the prey

get a grip

--LOL
Police mentality of "us against them" has been around for quite while now.

"we" are not the prey

get a grip

--LOL

what a nutty thing to say

--LOL

Hey look, I just wished good fortune on you. You don't want it, suit yourself. But don't come back and act surprised when the hammer comes down. You must live in a bubble.

Cleveland Police Chief Vows to Reform 'Warrior' Cops into 'Guardians'

>> As a former police officer and current policing scholar, I know that an officer’s mindset has tremendous impact on police/civilian encounters. I’ve described the Guardian and Warrior mindsets at some length here and here; for now, suffice to say that the right mindset can de-escalate tense situations, induce compliance, and increase community trust over the long-term. The kids interacting with the first officer were excited, but not upset; they remained cooperative. Had they gone home at that moment, they’d have a story for their friends and family, but it would be a story that happened to have the police in it rather than being a story about the police.

The wrong mindset, on the other hand, can exacerbate a tense encounter, produce resistance, and lead to entirely avoidable violence. It can, and has, caused longterm damage to police/community relations. We shouldn’t be surprised that the kids Corporal Casebolt was yelling at weren’t eager to do what he was ordering them to do—no one likes being cursed at and disrespected in front of their peers, and people of all ages, especially teenagers, resent being treated unjustly. That resentment can lead to resistance, and Police Warriors—taught to exercise unquestioned command over a scene—overcome resistance by using force.

... What should officers do in similar situations? For starters, they must realize that the public—even a group of non-compliant teenagers—are not an enemy to be vanquished, but civilians to be protected, to the extent possible, from indignity and harm. A Guardian mindset encourages officers to be “procedurally just,” to ensure that their encounters with civilians are empowering, fair, respectful and considerate. Research of police and military encounters strongly suggests that officers are most effective at fostering goodwill and reducing antagonism when they approach each encounter with the goal of building civilian trust. << ---- What Went Wrong in McKinney

Law Enforcement's "Warrior" Problem

>> Under this warrior worldview, officers are locked in intermittent and unpredictable combat with unknown but highly lethal enemies. As a result, officers learn to be afraid. That isn’t the word used in law enforcement circles, of course. Vigilant, attentive, cautious, alert, or observant are the terms that appear most often in police publications. But make no mistake, officers don’t learn to be vigilant, attentive, cautious, alert, and observant just because it’s fun. They do so because they are afraid. Fear is ubiquitous in law enforcement. As I’ve written elsewhere, officers are constantly barraged with the message that that they should be afraid, that their survival depends on it. Not only do officers hear it in formal training, they also hear it informally from supervisors and older officers. They talk about it with their peers. They see it on police forums and law enforcement publications.

... For Warriors, hypervigilance offers the best chance for survival.
Officers learn to treat every individual they interact with as an armed threat and every situation as a deadly force encounter in the making. Every individual, every situation — no exceptions. Because the enemies’ identities are unknown, everyone is a threat until conclusively proven otherwise. A popular police training text offers this advice: “As you approach any situation, you want to be in the habit of looking for cover so you can react automatically to reach it should trouble erupt.”

A more recent article puts it even more bluntly: “Remain humble and compassionate; be professional and courteous — and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.”
That plan is necessary, officers are told, because everyone they meet may have a plan to kill them. <<

Last edited:

that would be your irrational reasoning
It is deducted from your "how many stops… how many times they have to shoot"

Forum List

Back