What kind of cookware do you use?

I am getting ready to buy a new set. I'm thinking the Cuisinart MultiClad but I wanted to ask around before I do this.
I find cast iron to be the best. Lasts a long time too.

I love my cast iron pans. They are the BEST! I pretty much only use my cast iron frying pans now. I don't like the Teflon coated pots and pans. That stuff sometimes wears off and can get in your food and it is poisonous I've heard.

Throw any teflon cookware away once it develops a scratch, that's all it takes is one scratch.

Now you'd have to consume quite a bit of teflon before it caused any serious damage, so cooking with teflon isn't dangerous as long as you throw away scratched cookware, or burned or what have you.

I don't even use Teflon. I prefer cast iron or stainless.

The electric skillet is one of the greatest inventions in modern kitchens IMO. thats about all the Teflon I use, well other than the aforementioned griddle and panini maker.

My preference is stainless though.

We've been very pleased with our Powla Doin cookware. Y'all.

Ilc4bo4L.jpeg

Paula Deen has some really awesome recipes. So fattening though. Just rub some butter on it. Lol.

I am getting ready to buy a new set. I'm thinking the Cuisinart MultiClad but I wanted to ask around before I do this.

The pots are good but the pans are more trouble than they are worth IMO. Switched back to teflon pans.

Are you talking about the cleaning?

Yes, and getting the temperature exactly right so there is no sticking was a PITA.

Have they improved that aspect of it because it was about a decade or so ago when we bought ours. We gave away the pans and just kept the pots.

I don't have that problem. If you use a little fat and you don't try to turn whatever it is too soon, it should not be sticking. I sear meat in mine on a relatively high heat sometimes, and I never have a problem with sticking. No need for Teflon. :)

I avoid none stick cookware like the plague.
A properly season steel pan is very none stick.

The de Buyer is my favorite.
upload_2015-9-1_8-34-13.png

This one took about 8 or 9 runs through the oven with peanut oil at around 400 degrees,and yes it was once silver.
Polymerized oil is incredibly slick.

View attachment 48971

This one took about 8 or 9 runs through the oven with peanut oil at around 400 degrees,and yes it was once silver.

I would NEVER ruin my stainless like that.

However, I have several cast irons that I revived from rusty nothings into beautiful cookware utilizing electrolysis then seasoning them over and over again at 500 degrees with plenty of oil.

If you've never used electrolysis to clean up an old cast iron skillet, you are missing out, its' the ONLY way to fly.

Copper is worth looking into if you can afford it and take care of your kitchen/cookware ... Just saying.
Copper has its own anti-microbial properties as well ... But you want the lined pots if you are doing acid based foods.

View attachment 48971

However, I have several cast irons that I revived from rusty nothings into beautiful cookware utilizing electrolysis then seasoning them over and over again at 500 degrees with plenty of oil.

If you've never used electrolysis to clean up an old cast iron skillet, you are missing out, its' the ONLY way to fly.

First of all it's not stainless,I dont use stainless because it's pointless. The whole idea is to get a none stick surface,not have a shiny pan that looks pretty but food sticks to. Second it's hardly ruined and in fact it's what you're supposed to do to steel pans and cast iron.

View attachment 48971

First of all it's not stainless,I dont use stainless because it's pointless. The whole idea is to get a none stick surface,not have a shiny pan that looks pretty but food sticks to. Second it's hardly ruined and in fact it's what you're supposed to do to steel pans and cast iron.

Stainless is pointless? LOL okay

and of course its what you are supposed to do with cast, but I've never seen anyone season steel like that. :dunno:

View attachment 48971

Easiest way to clean a cast iron pan or pot back to it's original state?
Put it in the oven and run it through the self cleaning cycle.
It'll be gray and clean as new,wipe off the ash and begin your seasoning process.
I personally go this route on my cast and steel pans using steel grit as a media.
It puts micro scratches on the surface of steel making a surface the polymerized oil will stick to and it clears the micro holes in the cast for the same effect.
upload_2015-9-1_9-3-23.png

View attachment 48971

and of course its what you are supposed to do with cast, but I've never seen anyone season steel like that. :dunno:

Stainless sticks,I suppose you could give it the same seasoning treatment as you do with steel but whats the point? You might as well buy steel.
A shiny stainless pan performs like shit without a crapload of oil and it doesnt hold heat like a de Buyer.

View attachment 48971

Of course you season steel like that,it's no different than cast in that respect.
You should do it to pretty much all cookware that isnt none stick
Some do it on the stove top like this guy...
Seasoning a Carbon Steel Pan

How to Season a Pan | Pan Seasoning Guide

In Gear: How to Season Carbon Steel Pans

Personally I've found the oven method to be more effective.

View attachment 48971

It'll be gray and clean as new,wipe off the ash and begin your seasoning process.
I personally go this route on my cast and steel pans using steel grit as a media.
It puts micro scratches on the surface of steel making a surface the polymerized oil will stick to and it clears the micro holes in the cast for the same effect.
View attachment 48973

That extreme heat can warp the cast though.

Electrolysis is so easy, and it's kinda neat watching the science of it work.

I use a big planter that hold like 20 gallons of water.

Add two cups of this

http://www.armandhammer.com/Index.aspx

then what you do is suspend your cast (or other metal i've used it on stainless, brass, copper etc etc) from a hook so that it is entirely submerged.

Then you submerge another piece of clean metal to be used as an anode. Make sure it's at least 6" from your cast.

next take a battery charger and connect the positive end to your cast and the negative end to your anode.

Turn battery charger to highest setting and turn on..

Watch the bubbles form on top of the water, that means its working. Don't put your hands in the water unless you turn the battery charger off.

Let sit for 24 hours for cast (much less for other materials , do some research)

At the end of 24 hours remove cast from vat, wash in soap and water using 3M Scotch Bright finishing pads to remove film left from electrolysis.

Cast will be stripped bare, season as you like.

View attachment 48971

Stainless sticks,I suppose you could give it the same seasoning treatment as you do with steel but whats the point? You might as well buy steel.
A shiny stainless pan performs like shit without a crapload of oil and it doesnt hold heat like a de Buyer.

Correct stainless sticks, so don't use it for things that might stick.

View attachment 48971

View attachment 48973

Add two cups of this

then what you do is suspend your cast (or other metal i've used it on stainless, brass, copper etc etc) from a hook so that it is entirely submerged.

Then you submerge another piece of clean metal to be used as an anode. Make sure it's at least 6" from your cast.

next take a battery charger and connect the positive end to your cast and the negative end to your anode.

Watch the bubbles form on top of the water, that means its working. Don't put your hands in the water unless you turn the battery charger off.

Let sit for 24 hours for cast (much less for other materials , do some research)

At the end of 24 hours remove cast from vat, wash in soap and water using 3M Scotch Bright finishing pads to remove film left from electrolysis.

I've seen that method used and it is effective.
But your average house wife isnt going to use it.
If you have quality cast iron it wont warp,i've used the method many times.
Now the carbon steel I wont take above 400 in the seasoning process because they can and will warp,more so with the thin cheap stuff.
The de Buyer pans hold up much better in high heat.

View attachment 48971

View attachment 48973

Add two cups of this

Why in the world would you ever strip cast iron?

I season my cast iron every January wether they need it or not. In reality, only the outside gets multiple layers.

Do you think it is somehow cleaner if you strip it? I don't see the purpose of it.

Forum List

Back