What Journalstic Value Does The Term "Some People Say" Have?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
If any. Why are there some in the media that like to use the term "some people say" and/or it's alternative "some say?"

What good does it do?

I suggest that it holds absolutely no value other than political propaganda. It's a way to insert ideas, suggestions and outcomes without out rightly doing so.

It sometimes has value, but rarely it does. Typically the person saying it never says who are the "some" that are saying...it's an assertion and has no place in the journalistic industry.

What say you?

If any. Why are there some in the media that like to use the term "some people say" and/or it's alternative "some say?"

What good does it do?

I suggest that it holds absolutely no value other than political propaganda. It's a way to insert ideas, suggestions and outcomes without out rightly doing so.

It sometimes has value, but rarely it does. Typically the person saying it never says who are the "some" that are saying...it's an assertion and has no place in the journalistic industry.

What say you?

I've only heard that expression on Fox News. Generally one 'Journalist' will interview another 'Journalist" or a Fox Paid Commentator (like Palin used to be) and during the next segment we would hear "some people are saying ..."; that "some person" was one person planted by the producer, which was then repeated (the propaganda of the day, a Fox News Special) over and over.

In short, total bullshit sans integrity.

Last edited:

What good does it do?

What say you?
It's a tactic to substitute commentary for facts, all so common today, Unnamed White House sources have revealed.., One bystander said.., the mood of the members,,,,,

The Vidiot version of the Strawman and the speech version of the suggestive screen crawl. Injecting an idea from some mythical undocumented third party so that the speaker who suggests "some people say" bears no responsibility for either the idea or its imaginary source.

A/K/A advocacy journalism, A/K/A bullshit.

What good does it do?

What say you?

It is Obama's favorite way of making it look like he is smarter than everyone else, what have you got against it?

What good does it do?

What say you?

It is Obama's favorite way of making it look like he is smarter than everyone else, what have you got against it?

Uh- where have you ever heard O'bama use that phrase?

:eusa_whistle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoskYCAxNXw]fox news some people say - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Some people say MarcATL's commentary is the metaphoric equivalent of a dingleberry riding shotgun on a baboon's ass.

I have no comment on that though, it's just what people are saying.

What good does it do?

What say you?

Really? Then you should be able to present some proof of it then no problem.

Kinda like this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYA9ufivbDw]Outfoxed: Fox News technique: "some people say" - YouTube[/ame]

What good does it do?

What say you?

It is Obama's favorite way of making it look like he is smarter than everyone else...

...or so "some people say". :cool:

What good does it do?

What say you?

It is Obama's favorite way of making it look like he is smarter than everyone else...

• OBAMA: Now, I swore an oath to uphold the laws on the books, but that doesn't mean I don't know very well the real pain and heartbreak that deportations cause. I share your concerns and I understand them. And I promise you, we are responding to your concerns and working every day to make sure we are enforcing flawed laws in the most humane and best possible way. Now, I know some people want me to bypass Congress and change the laws on my own. [Applause] And believe me, right now dealing with Congress —
    AUDIENCE: Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can!
    OBAMA: Believe me — believe me, the idea of doing things on my own is very tempting. [Laughter] I promise you. Not just on immigration reform. [Laughter] But that's not how — that's not how our system works.
    AUDIENCE MEMBER: Change it!
    OBAMA: That’s not how our democracy functions. That's not how our Constitution is written. So let’s be honest. I need a dance partner here — and the floor is empty.

• OBAMA: Now, I swore an oath to uphold the laws on the books, but that doesn't mean I don't know very well the real pain and heartbreak that deportations cause. I share your concerns and I understand them. And I promise you, we are responding to your concerns and working every day to make sure we are enforcing flawed laws in the most humane and best possible way. Now, I know some people want me to bypass Congress and change the laws on my own. [Applause] And believe me, right now dealing with Congress —
    AUDIENCE: Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can!
    OBAMA: Believe me — believe me, the idea of doing things on my own is very tempting. [Laughter] I promise you. Not just on immigration reform. [Laughter] But that's not how — that's not how our system works.
    AUDIENCE MEMBER: Change it!
    OBAMA: That’s not how our democracy functions. That's not how our Constitution is written. So let’s be honest. I need a dance partner here — and the floor is empty.

I don't see the phrase "some people say" in there.

Smatter? Painted yourself into a corner? Again?

Some people never learn.

The Vidiot version of the Strawman and the speech version of the suggestive screen crawl. Injecting an idea from some mythical undocumented third party so that the speaker who suggests "some people say" bears no responsibility for either the idea or its imaginary source.

A/K/A advocacy journalism, A/K/A bullshit.

Exactly. But as some moron noted above, only to be found on Fox news.

Forum List

Back