What Issues For The Next Pope?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Think this is very interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A7223-2004Feb2&notFound=true

A Crossroad for the Catholic Church

By George Weigel
Tuesday, February 3, 2004; Page A19

What "issues" will frame the election to choose a successor to Pope John Paul II? Chances are they're not what you might think.

Consider, for example, what are often reported as the most controversial matters in the pontificate of John Paul II: abortion, homosexuality and ordination of women to the priesthood. The assumption is that, in the next conclave, the cardinal-electors will sort themselves out in conventional "conservative" and "liberal" camps around these questions. In fact, it won't work that way. John Paul II hasn't been teaching the personal opinions of Karol Wojtyla on these matters, he's been teaching the settled doctrine of the Catholic Church. That doctrine isn't going to change in the next pontificate, or in the 10 pontificates after that, because popes are the servants of doctrine, not its masters. What are frequently thought to be "the issues" in the next conclave aren't issues at all...

So what are the issues, according to the writer?

1. Collapsing Catholicism in Europe

2. Radical Islam

3. Biotechnology. The Catholic Church welcomes the new genetic knowledge and its capacity to advance the arts of healing. The Catholic Church also teaches that attempts to remanufacture the human condition by manufacturing (or retrofitting) human beings end up dehumanizing us. How to shape the global debate about the new biotechnologies so that humanity gets to the 22nd century without finding itself ensnared in Aldous Huxley's brave new world is a mega-issue bearing hard on the next conclave...

I added the explanation on biotech, for the simple reason that I know some think the Church is anti-science, which is not the case. The questioning comes from the teachings on 'life' and the reasoning behind 'unintended consequences.'

id add homosexual pedaphile priests that are losing them tons of money and tarnishing their reputation as a major issue they need to deal with.

Kathianne said:
I will not disagree with you. Here is an article that addresses how that came to pass, not the pedophile priests, but the mishandling of the problem, none too easy on the Pope either:

http://www.nationalcatholicreporter.org/update/conclave/jp_obit_main.htm

I think there are two main reasons why this would be an issue that has to be dealt with. One, they didnt handle the problem well to begin with so the damaged reputation is one that may be tough to overcome for a long time. If they find a way to deal with it thats effective there might be some way to mitigate that damage among some of the membership. Two, even though the Catholic Church has tons of money, trial lawyers are going to try to try to milk the Church for every penny they can get. I've already seen some stories about some diochese(sp?) being bankrupted because of these efforts. Regardless though this is going to put major strain on some of the membership. And if the Church can't find a way to deal with it without losing tons of money they could end up in alot of trouble before this is all over.

Course as I am not Catholic, watching this is a purely educational exercise for me. I am just curious to see what happens.

I think there are two main reasons why this would be an issue that has to be dealt with. One, they didnt handle the problem well to begin with so the damaged reputation is one that may be tough to overcome for a long time. If they find a way to deal with it thats effective there might be some way to mitigate that damage among some of the membership. Two, even though the Catholic Church has tons of money, trial lawyers are going to try to try to milk the Church for every penny they can get. I've already seen some stories about some diochese(sp?) being bankrupted because of these efforts. Regardless though this is going to put major strain on some of the membership. And if the Church can't find a way to deal with it without losing tons of money they could end up in alot of trouble before this is all over.

Course as I am not Catholic, watching this is a purely educational exercise for me. I am just curious to see what happens.

While not exclusively an American problem, pedophilia among Catholic priests, (Protestant ministers and others too), it seemed to be much more endemic to the American Church. Pedophilia has very little to do with sex, much like rape. It has to do with power and control. It's totally abusive and seems resistant to treatment.

As for the Pope's handling of the crisis brought on by the cover-up by the bishops in the US, he certainly could have handled it more strongly. Some would say that he was sick by the time the enormity of the crisis came upon him. I don't think so, I think it had more to do with his beliefs in 'forgiveness' and redemption. Consider how he met with Mehmet Ali Agca who tried to assasinate him. He just went and 'forgave him.' That is not something I think I could do, especially if there had not first been some sort of apology from the one that wronged me. To the Pope's mind, he was always teaching, always setting an example. In the crisis though, I think this was lost, rather impossible for the victims, who had been children, to follow. I certainly don't find any fault with them, wanting to get some type, however imperfect, of restitution.

At the same time, please keep in mind that there have been scores of false allegations, due to the perceived deep pockets of the church.

Kathianne said:
While not exclusively an American problem, pedophilia among Catholic priests, (Protestant ministers and others too), it seemed to be much more endemic to the American Church. Pedophilia has very little to do with sex, much like rape. It has to do with power and control. It's totally abusive and seems resistant to treatment.

I don't think it's more endemic in the American church, there have been pently of allegations and convictions here in Canada. I can only think of a few off the top of my head including severl Indian residential schools, two reform schools male young offenders, run by the Catholic Christian Brothers in Alfred and Uxbridge, clergymen in Cornwall ect, ect. Theses cases are almost exclusive to Ontario. There was a movie made about the reform school in Alfred, some of my friends father's were there and claim to have been beaten within an inch of their lives, but not molested.

I don't know how this can be rectified, not a clue.

Forum List

Back