What is your highest goal?

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
The following is taken from “The Reason for God,” by Timothy Keller. I love it and totally agree.

"In “The Nature of True Virtue,” Jonathan Edwards argues that human society is deeply fragmented when anything but God is our highest love. If our highest goal in life is the good of our family, then, says Edwards, we will tend to care less for other families. If our highest goal is the good of our nation, tribe, or race, then we will tend to be racist or nationalistic. If our ultimate goal in life is our own individual happiness, then we will put our own economic and power interests ahead of those of others. Edwards concludes that only if God is our ultimate good and life center, will we find our heart drawn out not only to people of all families, races, and classes, but to the whole world in general.

If we get our very identity, our sense of worth, from our political position, then politics is not really about politics, it is about us. Through our cause we are getting a self, our worth. That means we must despise and demonize the opposition. If we get our identity from our ethnicity or socioeconomic status, then we have to feel superior to those of other classes and races. If you are profoundly proud of being an open-minded, tolerant soul, you will be extremely indignant toward people you think are bigots. If you are a very moral person, you will feel very superior to people you think are licentious. And so on.

The more we love and identify with our family, our class, our race or our religion, the harder it is to not feel superior or even hostile to other religions, races, etc. So racism, classism, and sexism are not matters of ignorance or a lack of education. The real culture war is taking place inside our own disordered hearts, wracked by inordinate desires for things that control us, that lead us to feel superior and exclude those without them, and that fail to satisfy us even when we get them."

What is your highest goal?

52fc3892d056df0f6627175cccc5dac9.jpg

I reject the op. It implies we are helpless to rise above our animal instincts. Let’s just take one analogy. If you believe in family you are biased against other families. How is that working out for the black community. And my political beliefs come from my self worth, not vice versa.

I reject the op. It implies we are helpless to rise above our animal instincts. Let’s just take one analogy. If you believe in family you are biased against other families. How is that working out for the black community. And my political beliefs come from my self worth, not vice versa.

Why are some whites so stupid? So you not understand that you are where you are as a white person because whites got rights they denied non whites?

Forum List

Back