What is your current assessment of OWS?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Amelia, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Is the occupy movement on its last legs?

2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,702
    No, they still got s h i t to dew.

3. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    From the beginning, the didn't have a unified message and looked like losers. Now they are occupying ports and taking wages away from union people, the 99%. They just continue to be losers.

4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    Now that they have Newt on their side, maybe they'll get some positive pub. Newt? Positive? I guess I need a nap! :D

5. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    I don't really think much about it. As long as they are not blocking the streets, who the fuck cares.

6. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    <points to avatar>

'nuff said.

7. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Not even close.

One thing you need to recognize is that the visible part of Occupy, the part that appears in the mainstream media, is only the tip of the iceberg. Most of its activity happens online. Right now, the movement is reassessing things, considering what approach to take from here, how best to push the movement's goals and objectives. One thing that I'm pushing for within the online decision-making process, which I hope will attract enough support to make it happen, is a petition drive to get state legislatures to call for a constitutional convention. It would take 2/3 of the states, but once that happens we will have a convention to propose amendments to the Constitution to allow serious campaign finance reform, and hopefully to clarify that a corporation is not a person.

(Of course, I personally would like to see a new constitution along the lines of my pamphlet, linked in my signature, but I doubt that will happen real soon, realistically.)

There will be more demonstrations, intended to keep the pressure on now that we have put income inequality and the corruption of our politics front and center in the dialog. But at this point the movement is reassessing and deciding how best to push things. You're not going to see so much camping out on public land, but that tactic shouldn't be confused with the movement overall.

8. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,156
    The OWS movement will be an issue in 2012, a losing issue for those who defend the status quo and/or fail to recognize the need to regulate and monitor the financial services industry. Those of the New Right hope to characterized those who protest as dirty serial polluters and neo-Marxists. No doubt the movement has attracted some left wing fringers, but the vast majority of those protesting simply expect government to level the playing field and control unscrupulous and preditory practices.

The near collapse of our economy in 2008 should be a wakeup call to all Americans, sadly the money controlled by the Banking and Insurance industries continues to influence members of Congress and others who seek to absolve the financial services industry of any complicity for our economic malaise.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Here's an idea for helping them to reasses. What the hell do they want? And why arent they busy looking for jobs rather than takingmy tax dollars in unemployment?

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    It isn't necessary for us to reassess that. We've always known and always been clear. If you got your ideas of what we want from us instead of from right-wing talk radio, you'd know that.

Here it is again, just in case you're able to listen:

Money out of politics
    Government policies that favor the 99% instead of the 1%

There, easy enough.

For the most part because we already have jobs. Again, if you stopped getting your "facts" from right-wing talk radio, you'd know that.