What is your comfort food?

Oh, without a doubt pasta formaggio al tartufo e pancetta (mac and cheese with shaved truffles and bacon/pork). Though not exactly my recipe, one can get some ideas on how to make it here:
How's mine different? I grease my baking dish with truffle butter and lay shaved truffle on the bottom of the dish and around the sides. I fairly well cover the whole of the dish bottom with truffle slices, and insofar as there is a lot of fungus flavor as a result, I use boldly flavored cheeses, most often a mix of Appenzeller, Vacherin, Asiago or Gruyère, and a bit of Stilton, though sometimes I use Cheshire as the primary cheese, omit the Stilton and toss in a mix of milder tasting cheeses.

What to do with the leftover mac and cheese? Why combine it with another great comfort food, meatloaf, of course....

bacon_wrapped_meatloaf.jpg

...or use it as a way to "stretch"/turn leftover lobster claw meat into comfort food....

bartong1960381.jpg

...or use it to make/supplement mac and cheese soup (toss whatever leftover meat one has into or on top of the soup; I love it with roast pork or pot roast) or, applying the rule of "two things that taste good alone will probably taste good together," make mac, cheese and chili stew.

One-Pot-Chili-Mac-and-Cheese-Soup.jpg

Mac--N--Cheese-Soup_exps27184_TH1789930A04_09_6bC_RMS.jpg

grilled cheese sandwich
That all by itself is high on my list of favorite comfort foods. I roast quite a bit and collard greens are a go-to veggie when I cook comfort food, so grilled cheese with collard greens, roast pork, poultry or beef, and an omelette-style or fried egg is my grilled cheese sandwich of choice. ("Kick it up a notch" by serving it with a syrupy balsamic vinegar dip/drizzle.)

Sweets! cakes, cookies, ice cream, chocolate! heheheh

and then after eating I feel sick!:laugh: :ack-1:

Wow, thanks guys. After reading all the replies, I am now hungry. LOL! :lol:

LOL

Truly, there is never a time when I'm not "hungry." I nibble throughout the day everyday. The thing is that for most of the year, I graze on healthy stuff -- fresh or dried fruits, raw veggies and nuts -- in between meals. During the holiday season, however, especially when I'm working from home, I graze on the leftovers from the major holiday meals.

Last year I hosted a "leftover" party to get rid of most of them, maybe I'll do that again....or maybe I won't. I love leftovers!

grilled cheese sandwich
That all by itself is high on my list of favorite comfort foods. I roast quite a bit and collard greens are a go-to veggie when I cook comfort food, so grilled cheese with collard greens, roast pork, poultry or beef, and an omelette-style or fried egg is my grilled cheese sandwich of choice. ("Kick it up a notch" by serving it with a syrupy balsamic vinegar dip/drizzle.)

Grilled cheese with collard greens, or grilled cheese and collards (on the side)? :)

I often add ham before grilling the cheese sandwich - or sliced ripe tomato. Never tried it with balsamic reduction/glaze, sounds good.

grilled cheese sandwich

Grilled cheese with collard greens, or grilled cheese and collards (on the side)? :)

I often add ham before grilling the cheese sandwich - or sliced ripe tomato. Never tried it with balsamic reduction/glaze, sounds good.

I saute the collard greens that I'd previously prepared as side dish for a meal and put them inside the sandwich, much as one might put lettuce inside a cold sandwich. I saute them only enough to heat them because when I use them this way, they're cold from being in the fridge or "root cellar," and I don't want to put cold greens inside a sandwich depends on cheese melting. Some folks may care for the "hot-cold" contrast, but that's not what I'm going for when I prepare a grilled cheese sandwich.

If the sandwich is thin enough, one may be able to get away without having to preheat any of the ingredients. If the sandwich is really hearty and one is grilling it or pan-grilling it, however, the bread could burn before all the ingredients inside become hot.

Grilled Cheese, collards and mushroom

4473428.jpg

Grilled cheese, collards and veal parmesan cutlet

S0013467933--259686.JPG

Grilled cheese, collards, pickle, salami and ham (pretend the collards are in the photo; there're not in this one but they would be were it my photo; the vinegary pickles really pick-up the collards and are a great compliment for a syrupy balsamic dipping sauce)

432d6745b04e45f47d8b95edfc4e9f44--grilled-cheese-recipes-grilled-cheese-sandwiches.jpg

Collards, egg and ham on a biscuit ("nuked" to melt the cheese -- no need to saute any of the fillings that were already cooked as nuking them will heat everything.)

415f3ca64de6a0187aa1978ebf315772--breakfast-burritos-breakfast-sandwiches.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I made one today.
  • T-giving leftover St. Andre mashed potato formed into a patty and sauteed a crust onto it (2 minutes)
  • Sliced and then sauteed (to reheat) some leftover beef short rib from T-giving dinner (minute and a half)
  • Collard greens, sauteed until hot (1 minute)
  • Cheese
  • Put the ingredients between two slices of bread (I used pumpernickel this time), putting cheese between each ingredient, put the sandwich in a skillet in which I'd melted a pat of butter and cooked it until the bread was slightly past golden brown.

Yes, I know the bread is brown, but hopefully you get the idea. I like a tiny bit of char flavor, but sometimes I don't want to watch the cooking closely enough to achieve a non-burnt char. Other times, I get distracted and end up with char even if I didn't want it. LOL What is there to say? Cooking happens...Or, "sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't." LOL

I saute the collard greens that I'd previously prepared as side dish for a meal and put them inside the sandwich, much as one might put lettuce inside a cold sandwich. I saute them only enough to heat them because when I use them this way, they're cold from being in the fridge or "root cellar," and I don't want to put cold greens inside a sandwich depends on cheese melting. Some folks may care for the "hot-cold" contrast, but that's not what I'm going for when I prepare a grilled cheese sandwich.

If the sandwich is thin enough, one may be able to get away without having to preheat any of the ingredients. If the sandwich is really hearty and one is grilling it or pan-grilling it, however, the bread could burn before all the ingredients inside become hot.

Grilled Cheese, collards and mushroom

4473428.jpg

Well ah'll be. I've grown, harvested and prepared collards nearly all my life and never once did I put them on a sandwich, never known anyone else to do it either. :biggrin:
I do like large limas cooked soft and thick, seasoned with ham over cornbread and chopped sweet onions sprinkled on top, collards on the side...a winter comfort food! Or grits and greens - but collards on a sandwich...hard to wrap my mind around it. :)

Looks very yummy! They all do! I like to sear the ham and/or tomato also before grilling the sandwich.

It's a toss up between homemade vegetarian Chorizo pizza or tacos

View attachment 162663 No evil foods no evil foods chorizo - Bing images
vegetarian Chorizo

Well, now there's something I'd have thought oxymoronic had you not posted the link. I'm still wondering what "vegetarian Chorizo" is. Is it some sort of non-meat "stuff" that has Chorizo sausage's flavor profile?

OT:
Have you noticed that many vegan/vegetarian foods are described/referred to in terms of meat-based foods they resemble rather than directly for what they are? For example:
  • Vegan meatloaf -- If there's meat in it, it's not vegan. If there's no meat in it, it's not a loaf of meat.
  • Chickpea meatloaf -- Okay, so if one puts chickpeas in one's meatloaf, that name/description makes sense. If one puts no meat in the dish, it's a chickpea loaf, not a meatloaf.
  • Vegan butter -- What? There is no way for butter to be vegan. "I can't believe it's not butter." Well, let me just tell you that what you believe or don't has nothing to do with it; it ain't butter, no matter how much it may taste like butter.

vegan-I-Cant-Believe-Its-Not-Butter2.jpg

Mashed potatoes. So Shepherd's Pie, no matter if it's chef-fancy with lamb and deep rich gravy or hamburger and cream of mushroom soup, so long as it's loaded with mashed potatoes on top.

Forum List

Back