What is Wrong with Latin America?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Seriously, what is wrong with these countries? Why do so many of their people want to leave? I am not looking for simplistic answers like "poverty." Why are these countries so poor? They must have some natural resources, and their access to American markets should be an advantage. So why haven't they progressed?

Just a thought, but I wonder if the Monroe Doctrine quarantined them from greater development. Thoughts?

Funny you should ask. I just finished reading "Why Nations Fail". The problem with Latin America has nothing to do with the Monroe Doctrine; it's due to the resulting political and economic systems left by Spanish and Portuguese conquerors. These systems benefit a small elite, do not respect property rights, exclude most of the population from participation in economic development, and do not have inclusive politics which enables the masses to have a real voice in how power is distributed.

Prosperous societies that last have Inclusive Economies and Inclusive Political systems. Most throughout history, have have extractive systems which benefited the elites at the expense of everyone else.

Last edited:
My thoughts about the Monroe Doctrine stemmed from the fact that other more beneficial European Influences (i.e., British) were excluded, thus preserving the less beneficial Spanish/Portuguese/Catholic influences. Are these latter influences permanent barriers to progress in Latin America?

My thoughts about the Monroe Doctrine stemmed from the fact that other more beneficial European Influences (i.e., British) were excluded, thus preserving the less beneficial Spanish/Portuguese/Catholic influences. Are these latter influences permanent barriers to progress in Latin America?

The culture is in place. That doesn't mean it can't change, but I doubt that external forces can come in and fix it for them.

We've tried that in the Middle East, with dismal effect.

that makes sense Bodicca . One thing I've noticed at least with mexico is that all the elites look euro bloodline to me , spanish as far as I can GUESS !! vincente fox and this new president of mexico sure aren't native to mexico as far as bloodline imo . Just my observations and GUESSES as I don't know many Mexican elites or gov officials .

Forum List

Back