What Is The Real Reason Our Soldiers Have To Wear A Backwards Flag???

I've heard some really lame excuses why the Army wears a backwards flag patch....but it hasn't always been this way.

View attachment 328351

How the flag is displayed is important. It's not just the starts that matter on our flag...but the strips as well....so this excuse that the stars are in a place of honor is total BS.

What do you guys think?

It's not reversed. When worn as a shoulder patch the canton (blue field w/stars) is always facing forward as if marching into the wind.

It is the regulation of the Department of Defense that the American flag patch on all fighting forces’ uniforms is to be displayed with ‘the star field facing forward, or to the flag’s own right’.
It's horse shit. A piss-poor excuse is better than no excuse. WWII the Department of Defense made everyone wear it correctly. I'm a Vietnam era vet and I don't remember it being reversed. Our Department of Defense has been taken over by the UN and their Globalist friends. I believe the policy was changed in the 90s after the Chicom Clintons took the White House.

Sure you believe that, but you believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
This is what happens when you elect Motherfuckers that hate the country of their birth.

That's exactly what I was talking about. You believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
Yeah....using common-sense is a GD conspiracy to someone like you.

Your crazy beliefs are quite common among the conspiracy theory set.
Yep....crazy conspiracies = thinking on your own.

Question: Don't you think taking bribes from our enemies to weaken our military and screw over our citizens is a bad thing? When does business as usual become treason? It's all good if it makes Joe Biden and other members of congress rich thru illegal kickbacks. As long as the MSM doesn't say it's a crime, idiots like you could care less.
You need your abortions and your LBGT programs so guys who feel like a woman can molest little girls in communal bathrooms. Shit, your candidate gets away with feeling them up and sniffing their hair. Why not Transvestites? And I think it's really great that Blue states are releasing habitual criminals and sexual devients into our communities because they're afraid of these freaks coming down with COVID-19 in a sealed quarantined system we call State and Federal Prison.

Everyone is really proud of you for trying to think on your own, I'm just saying you need some training wheels on your thought processes, so you don't end up n the high weeds like you just did. Keep trying though. You'll get it right eventually.
Sorry if this goes over your head, bubble-butt.

I'd explain why I'm so cynical over the change but you wouldn't understand.

For once you are right. Most of what you post is completely un-understandable.
You mean unintelligible.
And clearly you wouldn't understand.

No. Your crap is often intelligible. I can usually understand what you are trying to say. It's just impossible to understand how you could possibly believe such crap.

In my avatar, it can't be seen but I'm wearing the US flag on the left shoulder with the blue field is facing forward. The jacket is my NC Chapter jacket and when they were made we called the National Association and asked them about the wearing of the flag on the uniform. They told us it was legal for a veterans group and instructed us to have it sewn on either shoulder with the blue field forward. I chose the left with the 1st Cav patch as my combat patch. There are no ifs, ands or buts about the placement.

View attachment 329740
We had patches that went both ways when I was in....and when I was in the field we stripped everything off our Desert Camo except the flag patch....and I wore it on my left shoulder.
Regardless what the regulations are, I never bought into their explanations.
Don't tell me you believe everything the chain of command tells you.
I discovered that they could lie to us all day long, but don't you dare get caught lying to them.
I don't know how to answer you but it's a fairly new reg. I've been retired from the Army for 42 years so for me anything under 40 years is recent.
Here is one explanation and the DOD link is on the bottom.

Why is the Flag patch "backwards" on Military uniforms?
Following is a quote from the Department of Defense website...

"Thank you for your inquiry about the proper placement of the American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Army Regulation 670-1, �Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,� updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that �the star field faces forward, or to the flag�s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer�s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the �reverse side flag�.�

We appreciate and share your concern for the respectful display of our American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces."

For more information on Army Regulation 670-1 please visit the following web site, http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Hmmm I guess that was when Bill Clinton was wearing his George Bush mask.

Man I bet the Chinese are bummed that Muddy figured out their plan to destroy America by making American troops wear the flag this way.

Really everyone- next time Muddy posts about anything- remember this totally whacko thread.
To recap- as best as I can with the bizarrely twisted mind of Muddy

In 2003 the Clintons- and Communists- and Muslims- came up with this insidious plot to place the flag on American troops in a position that Muddy considers to be backward and disrespectful- even as he calls the flag 'the damn thing'- all to make American troops ineffective at fighting- and oh by letting Sikh's and women fight- because everyone knows those damn Sikh's are practically Muslims anyway......and women......well we can all understand why Muddy is scared of them.

Really everyone- next time Muddy posts about anything- remember this totally whacko thread.

In my avatar, it can't be seen but I'm wearing the US flag on the left shoulder with the blue field is facing forward. The jacket is my NC Chapter jacket and when they were made we called the National Association and asked them about the wearing of the flag on the uniform. They told us it was legal for a veterans group and instructed us to have it sewn on either shoulder with the blue field forward. I chose the left with the 1st Cav patch as my combat patch. There are no ifs, ands or buts about the placement.

View attachment 329740
We had patches that went both ways when I was in....and when I was in the field we stripped everything off our Desert Camo except the flag patch....and I wore it on my left shoulder.
I discovered that they could lie to us all day long, but don't you dare get caught lying to them.
I don't know how to answer you but it's a fairly new reg. I've been retired from the Army for 42 years so for me anything under 40 years is recent.

"Thank you for your inquiry about the proper placement of the American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Army Regulation 670-1, �Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,� updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that �the star field faces forward, or to the flag�s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer�s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the �reverse side flag�.�

We appreciate and share your concern for the respectful display of our American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces."

For more information on Army Regulation 670-1 please visit the following web site, http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Man I bet the Chinese are bummed that Muddy figured out their plan to destroy America by making American troops wear the flag this way.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Chinese.
But I do think it has a little to do with Muslim sympathizers and Communists in our government.
Something to do with pissing on the flag symbolically.
Is this thread still going on? A pictorial representation of the flag, such as a uniform patch, is not an actual flag. The flag is all over fourth of July crap we wad up and put in the trash but it's OK because no actual flags have been dishonored.
Bullshit.
It is an actual flag and this has to be treated with respect.
BTW, do you even know why we wear the damned thing in the first place?
"the damn thing"? Not much respect there, Skippy.
I said that because I knew it would trigger some leftist snowflake wonk.

I've heard some really lame excuses why the Army wears a backwards flag patch....but it hasn't always been this way.

View attachment 328351

How the flag is displayed is important. It's not just the starts that matter on our flag...but the strips as well....so this excuse that the stars are in a place of honor is total BS.

What do you guys think?

It's not reversed. When worn as a shoulder patch the canton (blue field w/stars) is always facing forward as if marching into the wind.

It is the regulation of the Department of Defense that the American flag patch on all fighting forces’ uniforms is to be displayed with ‘the star field facing forward, or to the flag’s own right’.
It's horse shit. A piss-poor excuse is better than no excuse. WWII the Department of Defense made everyone wear it correctly. I'm a Vietnam era vet and I don't remember it being reversed. Our Department of Defense has been taken over by the UN and their Globalist friends. I believe the policy was changed in the 90s after the Chicom Clintons took the White House.

Sure you believe that, but you believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
This is what happens when you elect Motherfuckers that hate the country of their birth.

That's exactly what I was talking about. You believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.

Question: Don't you think taking bribes from our enemies to weaken our military and screw over our citizens is a bad thing? When does business as usual become treason? It's all good if it makes Joe Biden and other members of congress rich thru illegal kickbacks. As long as the MSM doesn't say it's a crime, idiots like you could care less.
You need your abortions and your LBGT programs so guys who feel like a woman can molest little girls in communal bathrooms. Shit, your candidate gets away with feeling them up and sniffing their hair. Why not Transvestites? And I think it's really great that Blue states are releasing habitual criminals and sexual devients into our communities because they're afraid of these freaks coming down with COVID-19 in a sealed quarantined system we call State and Federal Prison.

Everyone is really proud of you for trying to think on your own, I'm just saying you need some training wheels on your thought processes, so you don't end up n the high weeds like you just did. Keep trying though. You'll get it right eventually.

You mean unintelligible.

No. Your crap is often intelligible. I can usually understand what you are trying to say. It's just impossible to understand how you could possibly believe such crap.
Well considering the rubbish we've seen taking place in Washington the last few years, it would be wise to pay attention. Communists are pretty open about what their intentions are. They can always count on useful - idiots like yourself to further their cause. But it is a well known fact that apathy and ignorance can and is used to by communists and fascists to mislead the public. The belief that it cannot happen in a America is why it can happen. Never mind the fact that our freedoms have been the number one tool our enemies use against us. But that's probably just confusing you with facts.
The primary problem with where the flag is placed is that they put it on the wrong shoulder....thus fascinating it's reversal. If we are observing correct protocol, the flag deserves the place of honor that was, by regulations, the wearer's left side or shoulder. Then the flag could be above all awards and decorations. But instead they put it on the right shoulder where it had to be reversed to give its current appearance, blowing out of the water the whole excuse for the change.

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Well considering the rubbish we've seen taking place in Washington the last few years, it would be wise to pay attention. Communists are pretty open about what their intentions are. They can always count on useful - idiots like yourself to further their cause. But it is a well known fact that apathy and ignorance can and is used to by communists and fascists to mislead the public. The belief that it cannot happen in a America is why it can happen. Never mind the fact that our freedoms have been the number one tool our enemies use against us. But that's probably just confusing you with facts.
The primary problem with where the flag is placed is that they put it on the wrong shoulder....thus fascinating it's reversal. If we are observing correct protocol, the flag deserves the place of honor that was, by regulations, the wearer's left side or shoulder. Then the flag could be above all awards and decorations. But instead they put it on the right shoulder where it had to be reversed to give its current appearance, blowing out of the water the whole excuse for the change.

Do you even know what is on the right shoulder?

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

View attachment 329740

To recap- as best as I can with the bizarrely twisted mind of Muddy

In 2003 the Clintons- and Communists- and Muslims- came up with this insidious plot to place the flag on American troops in a position that Muddy considers to be backward and disrespectful- even as he calls the flag 'the damn thing'- all to make American troops ineffective at fighting- and oh by letting Sikh's and women fight- because everyone knows those damn Sikh's are practically Muslims anyway......and women......well we can all understand why Muddy is scared of them.

WTF are you babbling about?

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

Considering I work for the US Army, was a veteran myself, and had 4 kids in the military, I have spent a good bit of time with those in uniform.

If you know what is on the other shoulder, you should know why the flag is on the right shoulder.

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

Considering I work for the US Army, was a veteran myself, and had 4 kids in the military, I have spent a good bit of time with those in uniform.

If you know what is on the other shoulder, you should know why the flag is on the right shoulder.
Depends on if it's a dress uniform or DCUs.
For dress uniforms:
Your qualification tabs, SF, RANGER, and unit patch are on your left shoulder. Your rank is below that for enlisted. Your personal awards and decorations according to precedence, along with jump wings, combat infantry badge above them, weapons qualifications....and jump wings if you run out of room above. Right shoulder is your combat patch...then all of your unit citations, regimental crest, and foreign qualifications are above your name tag. Your right side has your lower awards and badges, which is where they decided to put the backwards flag on when in BDUs, or DCUs. Some people wear an SF tab, a RANGER tab, and an AIRBORNE tab above their unit patch so I guess they figured it needed to be over on the right shoulder to reduce clutter. Didn't matter with me because we stripped everything off when we were deployed. The flag patch was just put on to alert foreign troops or air support that we were Americans.

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

For dress uniforms:
Your qualification tabs, SF, RANGER, and unit patch are on your left shoulder. Your rank is below that for enlisted. Your personal awards and decorations according to precedence, along with jump wings, combat infantry badge above them, weapons qualifications....and jump wings if you run out of room above. Right shoulder is your combat patch...then all of your unit citations, regimental crest, and foreign qualifications are above your name tag. Your right side has your lower awards and badges, which is where they decided to put the backwards flag on when in BDUs, or DCUs. Some people wear an SF tab, a RANGER tab, and an AIRBORNE tab above their unit patch so I guess they figured it needed to be over on the right shoulder to reduce clutter. Didn't matter with me because we stripped everything off when we were deployed. The flag patch was just put on to alert foreign troops or air support that we were Americans.

There are no BDUs or DCUs anymore. That is still not the reason, and it is readily apparent you have no clue as to what the uniform even looks like. Though I am way down the line. I work for a two-star general. My daughter has been selected for Captain.

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

For dress uniforms:

There are no BDUs or DCUs anymore. That is still not the reason, and it is readily apparent you have no clue as to what the uniform even looks like. Though I am way down the line. I work for a two-star general. My daughter has been selected for Captain.
Clearly you're full of shit.
I don't give a shit if you work for the Joint Chief of Staff....my assessment was from the cold War era and Desert Storm, I served active-duty under Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Senior, and Clinton. Got my CIB while deployed to Somalia in 93', and was in a JSOTF in Mogadishu right up to the Battle of Mogadishu. I'm currently working for the Department of The Army as a civilian. I think I know what my uniform looked like. They call the latest version of the combat uniform ACU. You didnt know what I was talking about because you're a know nothing but a poage wannabe.

Last edited:

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

For dress uniforms:

I don't give a shit if you work for the Joint Chief of Staff....my assessment was from the cold War era and Desert Storm, I served active-duty under Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Senior, and Clinton. Got my CIB while deployed to Somalia in 93', and was in a JSOTF in Mogadishu right up to the Battle of Mogadishu. I'm currently working for the Department of The Army as a civilian. I think I know what my uniform looked like. They call the latest version of the combat uniform ACU. You didnt know what I was talking about because you're know nothing but a poage wannabe.

The ACU went away starting in 2016, you fucking dumbass! Even the Chair Force wears the same uniform as the Army. I should know as I bought every piece my daughter owned when she got commissioned. Get with the program, gramps.

I served under Carter, Reagan, Bush I and lost my position thanks to Clinton. I was an O-4. How about you?

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

For dress uniforms:

I don't give a shit if you work for the Joint Chief of Staff....my assessment was from the cold War era and Desert Storm, I served active-duty under Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Senior, and Clinton. Got my CIB while deployed to Somalia in 93', and was in a JSOTF in Mogadishu right up to the Battle of Mogadishu. I'm currently working for the Department of The Army as a civilian. I think I know what my uniform looked like. They call the latest version of the combat uniform ACU. You didnt know what I was talking about because you're know nothing but a poage wannabe.

The ACU went away starting in 2016, you fucking dumbass! Even the Chair Force wears the same uniform as the Army. I should know as I bought every piece my daughter owned when she got commissioned. Get with the program, gramps.

I served under Carter, Reagan, Bush I and lost my position thanks to Clinton. I was an O-4. How about you?
No....the ACUs are still being called ACUs....they just went to another pattern called OCP. They're phasing them in. I don't see anyone wearing the old UCP or digital pattern anymore.

And I cannot believe you're actually trying to pull rank on me. Dude, it doesn't matter what rank you were when you got booted out. It only matters when you go to cocktail parties with the brass. My cousin was an O-6. Usually you don't know your head from your ass till you at least make Lt Col. Majors are usually assigned to a desk waiting till they can get another command which makes them about as useful as tits on a bull.
Nevermind that you were just another O-4 and call yourself Admiral. I wouldn’t call myself Command SGT Major.

View attachment 329740

But I do think it has a little to do with Muslim sympathizers and Communists in our government.
Is this thread still going on? A pictorial representation of the flag, such as a uniform patch, is not an actual flag. The flag is all over fourth of July crap we wad up and put in the trash but it's OK because no actual flags have been dishonored.
Bullshit.

No. You said that because you are an idiot who spouts crap without thinking.

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

For dress uniforms:

No....the ACUs are still being called ACUs....they just went to another pattern called OCP. They're phasing them in. I don't see anyone wearing the old UCP or digital pattern anymore.

And I cannot believe you're actually trying to pull rank on me. Dude, it doesn't matter what rank you were when you got booted out. It only matters when you go to cocktail parties with the brass. My cousin was an O-6. Usually you don't know your head from your ass till you at least make Lt Col. Majors are usually assigned to a desk waiting till they can get another command which makes them about as useful as tits on a bull.
Nevermind that you were just another O-4 and call yourself Admiral. I wouldn’t call myself Command SGT Major.

They are NOT called ACUs any longer. Wear of the ACU with the UCP pattern ended 1 October 2019.

The newer uniform has a different color T-shirt, belt and boots.

The references was to show you are not dealing with some boot camp who would not know. You are an old-timer who has not kept up with the times. I work on an Army post, hence the reference.

As I have explained, my username is a movie character, hence the avatar,

View attachment 329740

Bullshit.

No. You said that because you are an idiot who spouts crap without thinking.
Not at all.....but it would be fun to discuss this in person with you. You're mighty brave Little Miss Keyboard Badass.

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

You mean unintelligible.

Yes.

Do you?

For dress uniforms:

They are NOT called ACUs any longer. Wear of the ACU with the UCP pattern ended 1 October 2019.

The newer uniform has a different color T-shirt, belt and boots.

The references was to show you are not dealing with some boot camp who would not know. You are an old-timer who has not kept up with the times. I work on an Army post, hence the reference.

As I have explained, my username is a movie character, hence the avatar,
Backtracking now?
You said they stopped wearing them in 2016.....now it's 2019. Make up your fucking mind, Admiral

ACU Army Combat Uniform.
BDU Battle Dress Uniform
DCU Desert Camouflage Uniform

Oh..... And they are still called ACUs, dirt bag.

Sorry, but I am going to call complete "bullshit" on this claim.

I have been in the field and had the wrong flag patch on (combat version as opposed to the subdued cloth one) and gotten chewed out. In fact, when I returned from my deployment there was a huge issue because we were all told when we got off the plane in the US we had to be wearing the cloth colored one and NOT the combat one. We could not get the cloth one in theater, and had to have them sent to us so we would have one when we got back.

Reading things like this makes me question if you were ever really in, because I can not imagine this ever happening in the real Military. Especially when you say things like "Desert Camo", as that also makes absolutely no sense when compared to what you said before that.

Of course, maybe the Michigan Militia or whatever organization you really belonged to had different uniform regulations.

mil.jpg

Forum List

Back