What is the Primary duty of the federal government?

To make, uphold, and enforce laws, holding the individual accountable for his/her actions such that the safety of society; the individual's exercise of free will and conscience; and the individual's right to preservation of life and property are ensured. Rebellion in any form against these principles is not tolerated by the government and the govenment will use any means to protect its citizenry from violations of these rights and responsibilites, either foreign or domestic.

Last edited:
Article IV Section 4, Clause 1: "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

That my friends, is the primary role of government. Not all that hope and change crap. Dude was the closest to the answer.

As I said, reading any clause in a vacuum it can say whatever you want it to say.

Come on gold. That is very clear. I haven't read anything out of context. That summarizes the primary role of the federal government.

To make, uphold, and enforce laws, holding the individual accountable for his/her actions such that the safety of society; the individual's exercise of free will and conscience; and the individual's right to preservation of life and property are ensured. Rebellion in any form against these principles is not tolerated by the government.

And it is ensured that the various bodies of government have the powers necessary to adjust and enforce the balance between all of those things. :clap2:

What is the primary duty of the federal government? When you give your answer, please state why.

To stay out of my private life.

I know that does not really answer your question, but I am tired right now.

I just want government to be put back in it's place. They are to serve the citizens of this country, not use mob tactics to take what we earn, honestly. While they line their filthy pockets from special interest groups or individuals

Article IV Section 4, Clause 1: "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

That my friends, is the primary role of government. Not all that hope and change crap. Dude was the closest to the answer.

As I said, reading any clause in a vacuum it can say whatever you want it to say.

Come on gold. That is very clear. I haven't read anything out of context. That summarizes the primary role of the federal government.

I could just as easily cite Article VI, Section 2 as proof the Federal government was intended to be strong and controlling, but citing one clause at a time is missing the entire point.
The COTUS was designed to build a balance between all powers and many different points of view. The specific powers granted the Federal government are those necessary to ensure security but also to, as I said in response to Si, adjust and maintain the balance as needed. If you don't read the entire document together you may appreciate the quality of the sentences, but you miss the story.

What is the primary duty of the federal government? When you give your answer, please state why.

I just want government to be put back in it's place. They are to serve the citizens of this country, not use mob tactics to take what we earn, honestly. While they line their filthy pockets from special interest groups or individuals

The government is not going to be shrunk back to its primary duty, so long as people keep calling for government diapers.

The political whores, partisan hacks, political pundits and entertainers want people to believe that the federal government's duty and purpose is far more reaching than it actually is. And over time, they have played on people's emotions so much, that that has become the proverbial battle cry for hope and change in the Republic.

I could just as easily cite Article VI, Section 2 as proof the Federal government was intended to be strong and controlling, but citing one clause at a time is missing the entire point.
The COTUS was designed to build a balance between all powers and many different points of view. The specific powers granted the Federal government are those necessary to ensure security but also to, as I said in response to Si, adjust and maintain the balance as needed. If you don't read the entire document together you may appreciate the quality of the sentences, but you miss the story.
The feds job is to ensure the respective states a Republican form of government. That means that the respective states have the power and duty to keep law and order and to properly adjudicate the law of the citizenry of the respective states.

The feds job is to protect from invasion as well as domestic violence (i.e. rebellion).

The feds job is not to make sure that everyone is whole and equal creating and enforcing laws over the states, which circumvent and erode the power of the states to begin with.

The feds job is not to be big brother.

As I said, Article IV, Section 4, Clause 1 summarizes the proper role of government.

You haven't shown with any valid retort, that I have taken the Constitution out of context. If you think I have, then offer up your retort.

IMO, the fundamentals of any type of studies (sociology, biology, chemistry, psychology, etc.) can remarkably overlap at times.

If our set of studies has a solid definition of its first principles, almost any subsequent question, either general or specific, can easily and confidently be addressed by applying those first principles.

That's how I view our Constitution. It is a brilliant set of first principles - clearly, concisely structured principles - that are not malleable.

The government is not going to be shrunk back to its primary duty, so long as people keep calling for government diapers.

The political whores, partisan hacks, political pundits and entertainers want people to believe that the federal government's duty and purpose is far more reaching than it actually is. And over time, they have played on people's emotions so much, that that has become the proverbial battle cry for hope and change in the Republic.

Why so cranky?
Humans are not completely rational creatures, BGG. And the pitfall of any small-d democracy is the cynical catering to the people's emotion rather than their reason in order to reap personal rewards. It's not limited to any one party, or ideology, or tribe. It's also happened before. The Republic survived, and it will survive again.

IMO, the fundamentals of any type of studies (sociology, biology, chemistry, psychology, etc.) can remarkably overlap at times.

If our set of studies has a solid definition of its first principles, almost any subsequent question, either general or specific, can easily and confidently be addressed by applying those first principles.

That's how I view our Constitution. It is a brilliant set of first principles - clearly, concisely structured principles - that are not malleable.

True. But they are also there to create a system of balances. A grand compromise, if you will. There is wide latitude for policy regarding the exact nature of those balances without violating the broad first principles. Which is why we have the ebb and flow of poltiical "sides" seeking the right balance.

"...that constitution of our nature which makes us feel more intensely what affects us directly than what affects us indirectly through others, necessarily leads to conflict between individuals. Each, in consequence, has a greater regard for his own safety or happiness, than for the safety or happiness of others; and, where these come in opposition, is ready to sacrifice the interests of others to his own. And hence, the tendency to a universal state of conflict, between individual and individual; accompanied by the connected passions of suspicion, jealousy, anger and revenge — followed by insolence, fraud and cruelty — and, if not prevented by some controlling power, ending in a state of universal discord and confusion, destructive of the social state and the ends for which it is ordained. This controlling power, wherever vested, or by whomsoever exercised, is GOVERNMENT."

Disquisition on Government - John C. Calhoun

John C. Calhoun: Disquisition on Government

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts."

http://www.quotedb.com/speeches/washington-farewell-address

Last edited:
"...that constitution of our nature which makes us feel more intensely what affects us directly than what affects us indirectly through others, necessarily leads to conflict between individuals. Each, in consequence, has a greater regard for his own safety or happiness, than for the safety or happiness of others; and, where these come in opposition, is ready to sacrifice the interests of others to his own. And hence, the tendency to a universal state of conflict, between individual and individual; accompanied by the connected passions of suspicion, jealousy, anger and revenge — followed by insolence, fraud and cruelty — and, if not prevented by some controlling power, ending in a state of universal discord and confusion, destructive of the social state and the ends for which it is ordained. This controlling power, wherever vested, or by whomsoever exercised, is GOVERNMENT."

Disquisition on Government - John C. Calhoun

John C. Calhoun: Disquisition on Government
Nice punt, intellectual slacker.

True. But they are also there to create a system of balances. A grand compromise, if you will. There is wide latitude for policy regarding the exact nature of those balances without violating the broad first principles. Which is why we have the ebb and flow of poltiical "sides" seeking the right balance.
True and most of that balance is based on which rights trump others, giving trump cards to those rights and responsibilites most closely connected to those first principles.

My biggest point, however, is that I find a disturbing sentiment growing that views these first principles as either outdated and/or malleable. Very disturbing sentiment to me.

The feds job is to ensure the respective states a Republican form of government. That means that the respective states have the power and duty to keep law and order and to properly adjudicate the law of the citizenry of the respective states.

The feds job is to protect from invasion as well as domestic violence (i.e. rebellion).

The feds job is not to make sure that everyone is whole and equal creating and enforcing laws over the states, which circumvent and erode the power of the states to begin with.

The feds job is not to be big brother.

As I said, Article IV, Section 4, Clause 1 summarizes the proper role of government.

You haven't shown with any valid retort, that I have taken the Constitution out of context. If you think I have, then offer up your retort.

There's a difference between saying you've taken it out of context, and pointing out that you're missing the forest for the trees.
The Founders didn't get together to design the perfect clause, they wanted to design the perfect government. It took them 6 articales and a handful of amendments to do that. To take a single clause from a single article and believe it is the one, true purpose for the government is an unsupportably narrow view.

I have nothing against someone who wishes to beat on the Constitution with an Article V anvil.

Each branch of government has enumerated powers. Some more than others. They are a check and balance upon one another, with "We The People" being the check and balance upon the government.

The primary duty is to protect us from within and from without. That is what they should be focusing on. That is not to say or suggest that they should be lax or ignore their enumerated powers. But, when we look at the primary role of the federal government in light of its proper role amongst the other branches of government, there is no constitutional need for them ( the feds ) to keep increasing the size of government as they have been for decade upon decade.

It in my contention, that to try and keep the employers dependent on the federal government for needs outside its rightful duties per the Constitution, the purpose and reason of the federal government in the eyes of the employers has shifted. It is working to become all things to all people under the guise of protecting us from ourselves. In my opinion, that is willful slavery by the employers of this Republic.

Time and time again people ask what can they do to take back their government from the political whores they allowed on the job. One of the ways "We The People" accomplish that goal, is to know for ourselves, what the proper role of the federal government is. That is the purpose of the thread.

True and most of that balance is based on which rights trump others, giving trump cards to those rights and responsibilites most closely connected to those first principles.

My biggest point, however, is that I find a disturbing sentiment growing that views these first principles as either outdated and/or malleable. Very disturbing sentiment to me.

No, you're right, it is imperative to adhere to the first principles. The problem is the scope of those principles and the various ways they can be read. Well, a mixed problem/blessing if you ask me. It keeps people talking in places like this and reexamining the balance, which is a good thing.

That contradicts the FF's rhetoric about the 'consent of the governed'

Forum List

Back