What is the Primary duty of the federal government?

Tough to pick just one, BGG. If you're referring specifically to the Federal level, Congress alone has 18 enumerated powers. Then there is State government and whatever dependent local governments are organized under the State powers.

Tough to pick just one, BGG. If you're referring specifically to the Federal level, Congress alone has 18 enumerated powers. Then there is State government and whatever dependent local governments are organized under the State powers.

I said federal government. :) It is not tough to pick just one.

I am surprised neither one of you got it the first go around. You have no excuse gold. You legal heathen.

NOW I can see. ;)
All right, if there's one overriding theme to the founding document it is security.
Not just security against outsiders, but also security in one's person, home, possessions, opinion and expression.

NOW I can see. ;)
All right, if there's one overriding theme to the founding document it is security.
Not just security against outsiders, but also security in one's person, home, possessions, opinion and expression.
It is not the federal government's job to secure your home, possessions, opinion, or expression.

To provide a framework to provide justice/restitution against aggressive acts, commited upon peaceful people......And that's about it.

You are in the ballpark with that answer Dude.
Unsing collectivized force to act against force and fraud is about the only legit function

gubmint has....And its utility in that arena is marginal.

To provide a framework to provide justice/restitution against aggressive acts, commited upon peaceful people......And that's about it.

You are in the ballpark with that answer Dude.
Unsing collectivized force to act against force and fraud is about the only legit function

gubmint has....And its utility in that arena is marginal.

You got even closer that time, to the answer. And yes, I would say the arena as defined is marginal, as to application.

I am surprised neither one of you got it the first go around. You have no excuse gold. You legal heathen.

That's me, the devil in a blue dress. :eusa_whistle:

What makes you think there's one "right" answer?

Because the Constitution actually states what the primary role of the federal government is.

Now you're confusing me.
If you go by the mission statement, it has a very broad purpose indeed.
If you read each clause individually in a vacuum, it can say anything you want.
If you look at the document as a whole, a clear picture emerges.

Article IV Section 4, Clause 1: "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

That my friends, is the primary role of government. Not all that hope and change crap. Dude was the closest to the answer.

Article IV Section 4, Clause 1: "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

That my friends, is the primary role of government. Not all that hope and change crap. Dude was the closest to the answer.

As I said, reading any clause in a vacuum it can say whatever you want it to say.

Dude was correctly expressing the minimalist function of the federal government. With the federal government seeking to expand its grasp at every opportunity and the ignorance and apathy of many of the employers of this Republic, it is no wonder that this Republic is in dire straits.

The federal government was not meant to be the octopus power it has grown to be. And the hope and change mantra is built on the octopus mentality of the federal government.

Forum List

Back