What is the best Western movie?

The Big Country with the great ones. It had a cast to die for. Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, Carol Baker, Charles Bickford, Chuck Connors and my absolute favorite actor in this movie was Burl Ives.

Man oh man, he was just awesome as Rufus Hannessey.

Chuck Connors my Rifle Man hero was a bad guy who played sleazy Buck who kidnaps Julie Maragon over the big Muddy. Aye carumba. I never thought of the Rifle Man the same way again EVAH!!!

The duel between Buck and McKay was amazing. The fight between McKay and Steve Leech was ureal.

And of course the showdown at the end. Well what can I say?

But the best scene with the best soliloquy in a movie that impacted me so much that Imemorized it as a kid is when Rufus shows up at the Major's ball to announce his daughters engagement and Rufus tears the Major a new body orifice.

YAY! Just a killer scene.

th

*Sigh*. I wish I could have seen Big Country in a theater on the "big screen".

Just part of the best speech ever given to a person you hate.....

"....I've seen every kind of critter God ever made, and I ain't never seen a more meaner, lower, pitiful, yellow, stinking hyprocrite than you!

Now you can swallow up a lot of folks and make them like it, but you ain't swallowing me, I'm stuck in your craw Major Terrill, and you can't spit me out!

You hear me now! You've rode into my place and beat my men for the last time and I give ya warning, you step foot in Blanco Canyon once more and this country goin' to run red with blood until there ain't one of us left!

Now I don't hold mine so precious, so if you want to start, here, start now!

The Big Country 1958 - Quotes - IMDb

I get goose bumps just reading it! :)

Last edited:
The Wild Bunch

Gran Torino (yeah, it didn't take place in the Old West, or even the modern West, but it had the classic western storyline).

Same with Inglorious Bastards.

William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Brad Pitts were great.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in the West

Silverado

Unforgiven

The Proposition

Pale Rider

The Shootist

True Grit
(pick one)

Far and Away

Winchester '73

There are many more... I've always found the old spaghetti westerns entertaining...

I fully expect to get grief for this pick, but I really like Quigley Down Under...

Silverado

Unforgiven

The Proposition

Pale Rider

The Shootist

True Grit
(pick one)

Far and Away

Winchester '73

There are many more... I've always found the old spaghetti westerns entertaining...

I fully expect to get grief for this pick, but I really like Quigley Down Under...

Once Upon a Time in the West was awesome. I almost passed out though the first time I watched it seeing Henry Fonda blow away the little kid. Everybody's Mr. Nice Guy goes psycho.

I thought I was going to stroke out.

:lol:

Silverado

Unforgiven

The Proposition

Pale Rider

The Shootist

True Grit
(pick one)

Far and Away

Winchester '73

Once Upon a Time in the West was awesome. I almost passed out though the first time I watched it seeing Henry Fonda blow away the little kid.

I thought I was going to stroke out.

:lol:

I maintain that the best bad guys are played by actors we know and love as good guys...

Forum List

Back