What Is Death?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Do you remember how you learned the Alphabet? A, B, C, D… and so on, right? At some point, you probably had a nice picture book to help you out: “A” is for apple you dutifully learned. “B” is for ball. “C” is for cat.

The acrostic wasn’t always so cute. In seventeenth-century New England, A was not for apple. No, you’d learn “A” is for Adam along with the couplet, “In Adam’s fall, we sinned all.” Yes, “C” is for Cat, but the poem went, “The cat doth play, and after slay.” It’s darker, isn’t it?

By the time you get to “G,” you’re learning that “As runs the [hour] glass, man’s life doth pass.” “T” is not for toy or tricycle but for “Time,” which “cuts down all, both great and small.” By the time you get to X the point has been made: “Xerxes the great did die, and so must you and I.”

These dour little couplets are from the New England Primer, one of the most famous books printed in the American colonies—a book used to teach countless children to read.

Can you imagine if an elementary school tried to use these today? Parents would revolt and say these are too morose and morbid for children. But I wonder if they weren’t onto something back then when they began teaching children about the reality of death early on.

Today, we don’t much like to talk about death. We prefer to avoid, ignore, and deny it. But we can’t. In a three-part series of blog posts for Shepherds and Scholars, I want to look squarely at death and answer three key questions from Genesis 5: (1) What is it? (2) What causes it? and (3) What, if anything, can be done about it?

Let’s begin with the nature of death. Is death great and terrible, or is it simply part of life? It is perhaps even a positive good as it’s portrayed in The Lion King’s opening song, the “Circle of Life.” Are we all just “on the endless round,” “the path unwinding”? Is death simply part of the inevitability of it all?

Been thinking about death quite a lot lately. Getting cancer will do that. By the time I finally got a correct diagnosis I was maybe a couple of weeks away from death from an intestinal blockage. God I was sick. I actually felt the cold icy hand of death upon me.

My immediate family is dead. My parents both died with me standing at their bedsides. My younger brother just dropped dead one day. I've been to a lot of funerals. Have I learned anything?

I learned dying is the loneliest thing in human experience.

Do you remember how you learned the Alphabet? A, B, C, D… and so on, right? At some point, you probably had a nice picture book to help you out: “A” is for apple you dutifully learned. “B” is for ball. “C” is for cat.

The acrostic wasn’t always so cute. In seventeenth-century New England, A was not for apple. No, you’d learn “A” is for Adam along with the couplet, “In Adam’s fall, we sinned all.” Yes, “C” is for Cat, but the poem went, “The cat doth play, and after slay.” It’s darker, isn’t it?

By the time you get to “G,” you’re learning that “As runs the [hour] glass, man’s life doth pass.” “T” is not for toy or tricycle but for “Time,” which “cuts down all, both great and small.” By the time you get to X the point has been made: “Xerxes the great did die, and so must you and I.”

These dour little couplets are from the New England Primer, one of the most famous books printed in the American colonies—a book used to teach countless children to read.

Can you imagine if an elementary school tried to use these today? Parents would revolt and say these are too morose and morbid for children. But I wonder if they weren’t onto something back then when they began teaching children about the reality of death early on.

Today, we don’t much like to talk about death. We prefer to avoid, ignore, and deny it. But we can’t. In a three-part series of blog posts for Shepherds and Scholars, I want to look squarely at death and answer three key questions from Genesis 5: (1) What is it? (2) What causes it? and (3) What, if anything, can be done about it?

Let’s begin with the nature of death. Is death great and terrible, or is it simply part of life? It is perhaps even a positive good as it’s portrayed in The Lion King’s opening song, the “Circle of Life.” Are we all just “on the endless round,” “the path unwinding”? Is death simply part of the inevitability of it all?

The average lifespan in the 1600's was 35 years old ... And that average is not specific to the Colonies and the New World.

A great number of people experienced an untimely death at a rather early age ... In childhood and early adolescence.
The Primer introduced children to concepts they were more than likely going to have to deal with at an early age ...
Some of their friends and family were going to die ... And it wasn't just old people passing.

Life was tough ... And kids needed to be tough.

I’ve never witnessed anyone dying.
Same.
Just pets.
That's bad enough.

Anyway, my hope is death is a transition.
I like to believe our experiences and memories somehow live on like a download into a universal conciousness.
Otherwise, seems like just a big waste of time.

It's strange. One moment they are a person and the next they are just a thing. My mother was a nursing home nurse and was present for maybe hundreds of deaths and claimed she could feel them go. I didn't feel anything but relief that their own cancer suffering was finally over.

One day yet to come mankind will cure death. If you recall more of your scripture, you'll remember aging and death were punishment for among other sins, eating the fruit of knowledge or succumbing to the serpent's deception or whatever. The gods fear our species apotheosis but humanity's ascent to godhood is inevitable. Perhaps we were created to live forever. Perhaps "God" decided to mutate or remove altogether our immortality gene. Sooner or later we'll figure out how to put it back into our DNA. Death is the stinking, rotting, bloated end of life; there's nothing romantic or benevolent about it and there's absolutely nothing to experience after it; death turns our beloved bodies into worm food and compost and death is the end of consciousness for all of time, for the individuals who have conjugated that final verb.

One day yet to come mankind will cure death. If you recall more of your scripture, you'll remember aging and death were punishment for among other sins, eating the fruit of knowledge or succumbing to the serpent's deception or whatever. The gods fear our species apotheosis but humanity's ascent to godhood is inevitable. Perhaps we were created to live forever. Perhaps "God" decided to mutate or remove altogether our immortality gene. Sooner or later we'll figure out how to put it back into our DNA. Death is the stinking, rotting, bloated end of life; there's nothing romantic or benevolent about it and there's absolutely nothing to experience after it; death turns our beloved bodies into worm food and compost and death is the end of consciousness for all of time, for the individuals who have conjugated that final verb.
I like this.

I have

My grandfather...we ... me and my brother and my sister when were only young children...and my grandmother was there by his side...yelling "Don't leave us" "Don't leave us, don't leave us"...... and my poor granddaddy seemed to be so upset....he wanted to leave so bad ....he really wanted to go...

that's the only death I have witnessed.

I have

My grandfather...we ... me and my brother and my sister when were only young children...and my grandmother was there by his side...yelling "Don't leave us" "Don't leave us, don't leave us"...... and my poor granddaddy seemed to be so upset....he wanted to leave so bad ....he really wanted to go...

that's the only death I have witnessed.
My mom's death nearly cost me my sanity. After months of torment she was only breathing 3 times a minute. Only she wasn't just breathing. She was gasping. 20 seconds is long enough to pray it would just end. I did that three times a minute for the 10 days or so after she had her last lucid moment.

My grandfather just wanted to go....to leave this valley of tears and I don't blame him!

Forum List

Back