CDZ What is a social norm in America that you feel is ridiculous?

You should be honest to criticize your own culture and even yourselves.
There too many strange social norms which are to regulate our lives. Are all of them so useful and proper?
Social norms that are deemed acceptable, not "what I think is wrong with america".
What does make your life even more difficult?
Share with us.
I'm not sure what types of norms you're referring to. Can you give an example of what you have in mind?

What bothers me most is casual use of words with strong meanings.
Words like "racist" to describe someone relating facts that disprove your position is dishonest.
"Hate" No one, or at least, damned few people, "hate" President obama. I have zero respect for him and would not care to shake his hand, but hate is a much stronger emotion than I would bother to express for someone I do not know personally.
"Homophobic": I support civil unions for same sex couples. I do not support calling such unions "marriage".
That in no way should lead anyone to think I am afraid of homosexuals.
Right on.

Washington certainly respected God but was not an outspoken Christian. He for instance, when challenged by his parish priest to participate on communion Sunday thereafter spent walking in the parish gardens on every communion Sunday. I know many church goers who do not participate in communions, Holy Eucharist, sacrament, or the bread and water.

There too many strange social norms which are to regulate our lives. Are all of them so useful and proper?
Social norms that are deemed acceptable, not "what I think is wrong with america".
Share with us.
Having a McCarthy era phrase in our pledge but no anti-hypocrisy laws on the books.

Washington certainly respected God but was not an outspoken Christian. He for instance, when challenged by his parish priest to participate on communion Sunday thereafter spent walking in the parish gardens on every communion Sunday. I know many church goers who do not participate in communions, Holy Eucharist, sacrament, or the bread and water.
So you think you know what being an outspoken Christian requires?

Share with us.
Having a McCarthy era phrase in our pledge but no anti-hypocrisy laws on the books.
Be specific.

Mary Jane Drive

Social norm analysis can become quickly subjective and relative:

1. how can one praise military intelligence in terms of the problem of political killings?
2. how can one criticize Aztec cannibalism while praising modern era ravenous consumerism (i.e., Burger King)?
3. how can one confirm the linguistic validity of Ebonics while downplaying the ethnic 'intellectual property' associated with street vernacular or slang?

In other words, it seems to boil down to simple CONTRACTS about etiquette and customs or agreed-upon traditions. You need simple sociological standards based on ecology and biology (i.e., population controls based on environmental carrying capacity).

I think the strangest social norm is the unfiltered selling of alcohol in America in the midst of overly-austere policies on the selling of marijuana. Amsterdam, Holland does not have this problem.

My favorite comic book super-villain is probably the Joker (DC Comics), a nemesis of the urban caped crusader Batman who believes that mischief and crime must be weighed in terms of general jurisprudence corruption. The Joker is definitely in love with Mary Jane.

:afro:

Almost Got 'Im

aig.jpg

I know a plenty of social norms which are ridiculous from the very beginning. America is very confusing. Why don't we pay a living wage? Why don't we have free health care? Why do we like guns so much? Too many things that I don't understand.

Share with us.
I don't see any social norms as strange, that's why they are norms

like brushing your teeth, combing your hair, these are norms, not everyone down them, but it's normal to do so.

the attacks on our social norms are far more strange than anything else
like a woman screaming at a man for holding the door

I know a plenty of social norms which are ridiculous from the very beginning. America is very confusing. Why don't we pay a living wage? Why don't we have free health care? Why do we like guns so much? Too many things that I don't understand.
We do pay a living wage. Who's working and dying? What is required for financial independence is not to depend on the government for it, but to improve oneself. Government has no money. The burden of supporting the uneducated and/or lazy can only be temporary. That's common sense, you don't have to be an accountant or math whiz to figure that.

We don't have free health care because it can't be supported. There isn't enough money to pay for everyone not to have to pay for their own health care. Again, the burden on the taxpayer would be too great. Everything would collapse and in short order.

We like guns because they kill the bad guys.

That the right only complains about human sexuality in modern Information Age times and not the Timeless, Abomination of Hypocrisy as a moral Standard.
I don't know what you mean.
That is Part of the problem; don't they teach that in Sunday school.
Teach what? What do you mean by modern "Information Age times" vs "Timeless, Abomination of Hypocrisy"?
Here is a clue and a Cause:

Job 34:30: That the hypocrite reign not, lest the people be ensnared.

That the right only complains about human sexuality in modern Information Age times and not the Timeless, Abomination of Hypocrisy as a moral Standard.
I don't know what you mean.
That is Part of the problem; don't they teach that in Sunday school.
Teach what? What do you mean by modern "Information Age times" vs "Timeless, Abomination of Hypocrisy"?
Here is a clue and a Cause:

Job 34:30: That the hypocrite reign not, lest the people be ensnared.
Will you tell me what the context of this scriptural passage is? You're being too cryptic for me to follow.

Forum List

Back