What is a fair tax rate?

I disagree. 15%, or there about comes out of my check every week. I think that's fair for everybody. How much did Mitt pay? Obama?

No deductions. No I gave to charity... It's 15% and done.

OK, you twisted my arm --- 15% --- but you have to pay the deficit back out of that ---and in a timely manor!

We have a deal?
Works for me.

Get rid of all the loop-holes and that 15% is gonna take you a lot further than you think...
Yeah... And the tax breaks. Fuck the tax breaks. Fuck the subsidies. And fuck the Corporate tax.

Actually, when you look at effective tax rates over the last 75 years --- the gov't takes the same percentage of gdp regardless of the tax rates...
Yeah... It would be a good idea to start spending within it's means.

Amen!! --- Think about this! What does the gov't spend on running the IRS? go to a flat tax and the gov't gets every penny right back into their pocket --- I wonder how much that is? We could probably pay the deficit off out of savings from the IRS alone!

OK, you twisted my arm --- 15% --- but you have to pay the deficit back out of that ---and in a timely manor!

We have a deal?
Works for me.

Yeah... And the tax breaks. Fuck the tax breaks. Fuck the subsidies. And fuck the Corporate tax.

Actually, when you look at effective tax rates over the last 75 years --- the gov't takes the same percentage of gdp regardless of the tax rates...
Yeah... It would be a good idea to start spending within it's means.

Amen!! --- Think about this! What does the gov't spend on running the IRS? go to a flat tax and the gov't gets every penny right back into their pocket --- I wonder how much that is? We could probably pay the deficit off out of savings from the IRS alone!
Yeah... Fuck the IRS.

Hang on... I'm not sure if I'm done fucking things or not...

*ponders*

Fuck the wars. Fuck giving other countries money when we can't pay our own bills. Seriously fuck that... Fuckidee fuck'n fuck fuck fuck.

There... Think I'm fucked out.

The problem isn't the percentage. Rarely does anyone pay that amount because of all the deductions we get. Get rid of all of them.

The Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest five percent of Americans cost the U.S. Treasury $11.6 million every hour, according to the National Priorities Project. Between 2001 and the current projected end of the Bush tax cut extension, tax cuts for the wealthiest 5 percent will cost the U.S. Treasury $1.184 trillion. If extended through 2021 as gop lawmakers propose, the total cost will exceed $3.2 trillion.

That really is an absolutely staggering number. I just can't imagine why anyone thought that was sensible.

When Bush pushed for the tax cuts, he did so not to spur economic growth but to give back to the taxpayers because the CBO had estimated that we would be running surpluses for years to come. So the tax cuts were pushed through with a stipulation that should revenues fall, the tax cuts could be rescinded. Well, spending increased and revenues fell, and at some point the Republicans decided they liked keeping all that extra money, so they went back to pushing the idea that tax cuts spur economic growth and increase revenues. They got enough idiots to buy into it, and so now we have the lowest revenues in over 60 years and we also have massive deficits, and last of all, we still have no jobs. TAX CUTS ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER!

The Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest five percent of Americans cost the U.S. Treasury $11.6 million every hour, according to the National Priorities Project. Between 2001 and the current projected end of the Bush tax cut extension, tax cuts for the wealthiest 5 percent will cost the U.S. Treasury $1.184 trillion. If extended through 2021 as gop lawmakers propose, the total cost will exceed $3.2 trillion.

That really is an absolutely staggering number. I just can't imagine why anyone thought that was sensible.

When Bush pushed for the tax cuts, he did so not to spur economic growth but to give back to the taxpayers because the CBO had estimated that we would be running surpluses for years to come. So the tax cuts were pushed through with a stipulation that should revenues fall, the tax cuts could be rescinded. Well, spending increased and revenues fell, and at some point the Republicans decided they liked keeping all that extra money, so they went back to pushing the idea that tax cuts spur economic growth and increase revenues. They got enough idiots to buy into it, and so now we have the lowest revenues in over 60 years and we also have massive deficits, and last of all, we still have no jobs. TAX CUTS ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER!

...and more spending is NEVER the answer!

OK, we'd all like to pay 0%, but what tax rates do you think would be fair - and sustainable?

For simplicity, I've broken it down here into these main categories:

Low income 20%
Middle income 27.5%
High income 35%

Corporate tax 30%

VAT 15%

Tax on dividends & shares 25%

Any other major tax categories needed?

My plan is to raise income for the state with a VAT, which will hit the shadow economy and mean even drug dealers are paying some tax.

With that extra income I can then trim corporate taxes.

Feel free to add more details in - I did this very quickly!

I only know a couple of things about it

1) Reagan began to borrow from foreign banks to finance tax cuts for the wealthy. He and Bush 41 quadrupled the national debt from less than $1 trillion to more than $4 trillion. George Bush came along in 2001, cut taxes twice and doubled the national debt again...from $5.7 trillion to nearly $12 trillion.

2) In the past this nation has pulled together and met any challenge it has faced. After the second world war we had massive debts and anyone who made more than $300,000 per year paid 91% of the excess in federal income tax...under one Republican president I might add.

Right now this country is more divided than at any time during my 78 years. The rich keep getting richer and even though tax rates are at the lowest levels they've been in forty years the conservatives want more tax cuts. I have a question for them. If low taxes create more jobs where the fuck are they?

Listen Closely!

TRICKLE DOWN DOESN'T WORK!

Isn't it amazing that so many poters think 10% - 15% is enough to run a government - and yet can not find a single place and time where it has ever worked.

Weird.

OK, we'd all like to pay 0%, but what tax rates do you think would be fair - and sustainable?

Low income 20%
Middle income 27.5%
High income 35%

Corporate tax 30%

VAT 15%

My plan is to raise income for the state with a VAT, which will hit the shadow economy and mean even drug dealers are paying some tax.

A fair tax schedule is one that does not burden the national economy unfairly or without solid justifrication for it in the first place.

There are no hard and fast numbers, the rate truly depends on the state of the nation at the time.

Do remember that even the highest rates are NOT placed on every dollar, but only those dollars that are in the next hihger rate of taxation.

EVeryone actually pays the EXACT same rates of taxes, but everyone's incomes' do not all get taxed at EVERY rate of taxation that the schedule has because everyone does not make enough money for THOSE ADDIONAL DOLLARS to be taxed.

Last edited:
Editec -

Those are good points, and perhap in ideal world our tax systems would be more flexible than they are. On the other hand, I think most of us find tax systems frequrntly too complex and difficult to understand anyway - the more they change the harder that is.

The key issue here is alway philoophical anyway - do we prefer bargain basement services for a cut price, or premium services that cost a little more.

Fuck all your taxes. The "fair" rate of taxation is 0%.

Low income 20%
Middle income 27.5%
High income 35%

Corporate tax 30%

VAT 15%

Flat tax across the board...

It's a nice idea...but it doen't actually work in practice. At least, not in a balanceed economy.

It has been popular in the post-Soviet economies, because they lack a middle class and the flat tax serves the interests of the all-powerful aristocracy, but it would be disastrous in any western country.

What the fuck is a "balanced" economy? I never saw that term in any economics textbook.

You pump out more bullshit than any libturd in this forum.

Editec -

Those are good points, and perhap in ideal world our tax systems would be more flexible than they are. On the other hand, I think most of us find tax systems frequrntly too complex and difficult to understand anyway - the more they change the harder that is.

The key issue here is alway philoophical anyway - do we prefer bargain basement services for a cut price, or premium services that cost a little more.

Services from whom?

Editec -

I prefer no government "services." I don't view being robbed and mulcted a "service."

Bripat -

So you don't use sewerage, road, street lighting or police services provided by the state.

Interesting.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about FEDERAL gov't....

You should have tried to use the protection of our country, as in Armed Services....

that's one he'd pay for ---- prbably about the only one....

10% would get it!

Isn't it amazing that so many poters think 10% - 15% is enough to run a government - and yet can not find a single place and time where it has ever worked.

Weird.
What are you talking about? There was a time there was no income tax. o.0

Edit: In fact it's the majority of the US history. 0% is enough to run the government with just a sales tax... We just won't have a military.

Last edited:
Edit: In fact it's the majority of the US history. 0% is enough to run the government with just a sales tax... We just won't have a military.

Or roads, or sewerage, or street lights, or schools, or libraries, or prisons or customs officers or immigration officials at your borders.

Forum List

Back