What, if anything, has OWS actually accomplished?

Draining city coffers of millions of dollars.
Distracted police so that countless other crimes occured.
Committed a number of crimes themselves.

They are really scary group.

I'm reading "In the Garden of Beasts" and the similarities between OWS and Hitler's Brown Shirts in 1933 should really give you pause. OWS is not lynching people -- yet, but their rhetoric, propaganda and world view is eerily similar

Seriously. What have they actually accomplished? Anywhere?

Anything????

Please be specific and link to your sources.

They have provided police officers and sanitation workers some nice overtime pay just before the holidays.

They have also given the tent and sleeping bag companies a boost in their sales.

And just look at the increase in views that YouTube got!

Well, I've never seen so many goofy, nutty, meaningless people in such a large group before. I guess that accounts for something.

Well, I've never seen so many goofy, nutty, meaningless people in such a large group before. I guess that accounts for something.

you must have miised this one then...

adnchall.JPG

They are not done yet, not by a long shot. If you hate them now your head will explode with rage next summer. They are going to make your republican candidate continually defend the banking industry costing Romney votes every single time.

That link simply proves they've raised awareness that they have nothing to show for their 'movement'.

Thank you for making my point for me.

Awareness of an issue is always the first step. They haven't achieved anything tangible, but how can you when there was no defined goal. But the awareness they have brought to the situation has been worth the effort. Despite what you might believe.

well appearantly from a link from the la eviction today, they constructed a tree house in a public park which the city will most likely have to tear down for saftey reasons.

They are a bunch of virulent, anti-Semitic, anti-American, anti-Free Enterprise disgraces and have marginalized themselves in record time even with backing from the White House and a pliant LMSM

They are not done yet, not by a long shot. If you hate them now your head will explode with rage next summer. They are going to make your republican candidate continually defend the banking industry costing Romney votes every single time.

They gonna take off for the holidays? Maybe go out and buy Christmas gifts from the evil corporations and then reconstitute when the weather warms up.

You do know that Obama got more donations from the evil bankers than McCain. Hell Obama even employed some of those dastardly demons.

But don't let the truth get in your way!

They are a bunch of virulent, anti-Semitic, anti-American, anti-Free Enterprise disgraces and have marginalized themselves in record time even with backing from the White House and a pliant LMSM

Tell us how you really feel.

Obama will not benefit from defending the banking industry any more than Romney will. In some ways he is in an even worse predicament, he will have to defend the banking industry while having to show empathy with the people defrauded by the banks, Romney does not have that problem, still looking for republican empathy with any middle class problem.

Bear in mind the movement has only been visible for a little over two months, which means expectation of anything "tangible" (i.e., legislation) is unrealistic. That's doubly so when the goals of Occupy would probably require a constitutional amendment.

However, in point of fact, such an amendment has been introduced in the Senate: Senators Introduce Constitutional Amendment To Overturn Citizens United | ThinkProgress. So there's a tangible accomplishment if you like.

On a less immediate level, the movement has changed the political dialog. Before Occupy, the only subject on the table for discussion was the budget deficit. The Republican agenda -- cutting taxes and cutting domestic spending -- had the initiative, and the Democrats were defending against it. Now, a liberal agenda -- getting the money out of politics and narrowing income gaps between the "1%" and the "99%" (and the common awareness of that meme represents another victory for Occupy) -- has the initiative, and Republicans are defending against it.

That's quite a bit for just over two months in the streets, don't you agree?

But the movement has a long road ahead of it and triumph will not come simply or easily. The rot in our politics is so pervasive that it will take a long time to root it out. So while this achievement is encouraging, it represents only an insignificant fraction of what needs to be done.

Bear in mind the movement has only been visible for a little over two months, which means expectation of anything "tangible" (i.e., legislation) is unrealistic. That's doubly so when the goals of Occupy would probably require a constitutional amendment.

However, in point of fact, such an amendment has been introduced in the Senate: Senators Introduce Constitutional Amendment To Overturn Citizens United | ThinkProgress. So there's a tangible accomplishment if you like.

On a less immediate level, the movement has changed the political dialog. Before Occupy, the only subject on the table for discussion was the budget deficit. The Republican agenda -- cutting taxes and cutting domestic spending -- had the initiative, and the Democrats were defending against it. Now, a liberal agenda -- getting the money out of politics and narrowing income gaps between the "1%" and the "99%" (and the common awareness of that meme represents another victory for Occupy) -- has the initiative, and Republicans are defending against it.

That's quite a bit for just over two months in the streets, don't you agree?

But the movement has a long road ahead of it and triumph will not come simply or easily. The rot in our politics is so pervasive that it will take a long time to root it out. So while this achievement is encouraging, it represents only an insignificant fraction of what needs to be done.

Other than a weak association between a desire of the 99% movement and the legislation being introduced, do you have something that conclusively links the two?

The rest of your post is nonsense. There was, and remains, considerably more being discussed by both parties, than just the budget deficit.

Well, in the first couple of weeks they markedly increased the size of the Overton Window, a metric that measures the "acceptable range of debate" in the MSM. Economic Maverick: Thermometer Mitt Romney offers proof that the #OCCUPY Movement is already changing the political temperature/climate

So now we can talk about gov't and corporate corruption in public. You're welcome. Also, we've made some big strides in forming a libertarian-progressive alliance, and many people have learned to speak respectfully to those with differing opinions, been educated on how to carry on a civil dialog...so maybe you all could learn something from them.

I suppose you all think that no-strings bank bailouts count as "free-market capitalism," huh. Occupiers, by and large, would like for there to be a truly free-market, where those who royally screw the pooch don't get free hand-outs just because they happened to give a bunch of money to the guys running the government. We are anti-Corporatocracy, anti-Corrupt Government, and now, because a lot of protesters have been willing to put their time, their minds, and their bodies on the line, there is a lot more space for everybody, even the nay-sayers on this board, to talk about these problems.

I wonder, how many of the Negative-Nancies out there would sit in place and get pepper-sprayed for their beliefs? If you're so sure that the gov't is corrupt and trying to destroy the american way of life (I'm putting words in your mouth, I realize, but this is the impression I get), why aren't YOU out protesting? I've got news for you, if you aren't being violently opposed by the powers-that-be, you are not posing a threat to the elites who run the country.

Forum List

Back