What happens happens to Our Brain When We Experience Complete Silence.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
“Silence is the perfectest herault of joy. I were but little happy if I could say how much.” – Shakespeare

The word noise comes from a Latin root word meaning, “pain,” or “distress.” Noise is something we’ve become accustomed to, even if we are keenly aware of its ability to cause multiple forms of anguish. Even if we live in decibel hell,” we can find moments of silence to reduce our pain. We can intuitively observe that silence, in contrast, reboots our ability to think straight, and offers us a profound feeling of peace.

Silence also allows us to get to know our deepest truths in an undeniable way. It is in complete silence that the thoughts we shelter from others come to the surface.

But what else happens to us when we take a break from the deafening sounds of modern life? Aside from the metaphysical benefits of sitting in silence, there are staggering physiological changes which take place throughout the body: notably in the brain.

What Happens to Our Brain When We Experience Complete Silence

• Banned
**Scientists have studied the effects of silence on the brain for several decades, but a few studies are paramount in their importance if we are to understand just how vital silence is for a human being.**

Silence Develops New Brain Cells:

Speaking of pain it will soon leave when this thread dies...But not before I relish my hot dog and the silence of living miles from another human....The joy...

Speaking of pain it will soon leave when this thread dies...But not before I relish my hot dog and the silence of living miles from another human....The joy...

I love that I live in a place where I can literally hear the snowflakes fall. :thup:

I love that I live in a place where I can literally hear the snowflakes fall. :thup:

shockedcanadian -- how exactly is this post "funny"? Are you some kind of noiseophile? Eh?

Another wonder of nature I love is power failures. Especially if I'm in a city at the time. Everything changes. All the zombies' TVs magically shut down while the sky suddenly makes an appearance. All that artificial bullshit gets its legs broken.

One night the power went out in the neighborhood. I went out into the suddenly-dark night, sat on the porch and heard someone strumming a dulcimer in the background. I dragged out my guitar to join in. Found out later it was my brother on the dulcimer, about three blocks away. In a city neighborhood. That never would have happened on a "normal" night --- if we dare to define "normal" as "filled with artificial auditory and visual bullshit".

I guess I like it because it forces what could be a community to actually be a community, forcing "individuals" out of the comfort zones of their own iso-bubbles.

**Scientists have studied the effects of silence on the brain for several decades, but a few studies are paramount in their importance if we are to understand just how vital silence is for a human being.**

Silence Develops New Brain Cells:
I would love to experience peace and quiet and maybe even see the stars again. DO not get much of any of it where I live!

Silence makes people uncomfortable depending on the situation. I use it alot when talking to people to see just how much they will talk. Its called an uncomfortable silence. People fill the need to speak more when you just let them talk.

Silence makes people uncomfortable depending on the situation. I use it alot when talking to people to see just how much they will talk. Its called an uncomfortable silence. People fill the need to speak more when you just let them talk.
Yeah right, how many years have you played stare out with a dog?

Yeah right, how many years have you played stare out with a dog?
Its not the silence with the dog. Its the direct eye contact.

Forum List

Back