NYC and NC
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus

Increase in welfare

So you think that should be removed from the statue of liberty?

Telling how you baggers really hate America for what it stands for.

America was never meant to be a Free Lunch Environment, which Liberals confuse with Liberty............

America was never meant to disrespect the beliefs of others, but but please accept our culture while your at it, and don't try to impose your beliefs on others.

In America you have the Freedom to Excel or fail. That is up to each and every individual..............But you should only receive a HAND UP and NOT A HAND OUT.

The mentality of the left is HAND OUTS.

Emma Lazarus

Dude looks like a lady......or vice verse.

The Statue of Liberty.

Strange how the French give us a statue of a woman who looks like Caesar Augustus, only slightly more masculine.

th

406-Augustus-Caesar-Bust.jpg

220px-Statue-Augustus.jpg
statue-of-liberty.jpg

Emma Lazarus

I doesnt mean a damn thing to me, of course a liberal loon like you would find justification for welfare somewhere in there.

Emma Lazarus

I doesnt mean a damn thing to me, of course a liberal loon like you would find justification for welfare somewhere in there.

I don't think it means welfare. It means what it meant then, that we needed workers in this country that were productive and could help this nation grow.

America was never meant to be a Free Lunch Environment, which Liberals confuse with Liberty............

America was never meant to disrespect the beliefs of others, but but please accept our culture while your at it, and don't try to impose your beliefs on others.

In America you have the Freedom to Excel or fail. That is up to each and every individual..............But you should only receive a HAND UP and NOT A HAND OUT.

It is evident you have no idea of American history an immigration

Is it...............It would be correct if my opinion matched yours wouldn't it..................

:eusa_boohoo:

Increase in welfare

Straw man bagger talking points

Ummm.........name the cuts to the federal Gov't your side wants other than cutting the military and get back to me..............

Your side pushes money for nothing issues all the time and it is a key problem with your typical Pravda.

To me it's a beautifully executed sonnet, written by an American volunteer social worker (whose volunteer work revolved primarily around organizations offering assistance to Jewish refugees). It seems Emma Lazarus, the daughter of a wealthy New York family, was most concerned by reports of the persecution of Jews in Russia at the time (via the pogrom). It is believed that "the homeless, huddled masses" ETC. are in reference to the inspiration drawn from Lazarus's ethnically-shaped social conscience -- specifically to Jewish refugees from around the world.

That's not to say it can't be applied to refugees from other ethnic backgrounds, mind you; just that it probably wasn't intended to apply to them by the author of the poem.

The Statue and the poem are really not indicative of the reality that awaited Old World immigrants in the cesspool that was New York's immigrant Ghettos at the time.
Still, many considered it a better fate than what they faced where they immigrated from.

Ummm.........name the cuts to the federal Gov't your side wants other than cutting the military and get back to me..............

Your side pushes money for nothing issues all the time and it is a key problem with your typical Pravda.

Legal vote-buying.....

The left buys votes from the masses. They bring in millions of uneducated poor to pad their voter base.

Their response is the GOP buys votes from the rich. Well, that doesn't make any sense because the rich only make up 1% to 10% of the total working population. Who thinks they can win with only a tiny fraction of the electorate being bought? Besides, Hollywood and Wall Street types typically vote Democrat anyway. The GOP gets most of their votes from the Middle-Class.

Last edited:
To me it's a beautifully executed sonnet, written by an American volunteer social worker (whose volunteer work revolved primarily around organizations offering assistance to Jewish refugees). It seems Emma Lazarus, the daughter of a wealthy New York family, was most concerned by reports of the persecution of Jews in Russia at the time (via the pogrom). It is believed that "the homeless, huddled masses" ETC. are in reference to the inspiration drawn from Lazarus's ethnically-shaped social conscience -- specifically to Jewish refugees from around the world.

That's not to say it can't be applied to refugees from other ethnic backgrounds, mind you; just that it probably wasn't intended to apply to them by the author of the poem.

So nice that you know her intentions and the Intentions of the U.S government in Putting it on the Statue an whom it refereed an didn't refer to, a very neat power you have there!! :eusa_whistle:

The Statue and the poem are really not indicative of the reality that awaited Old World immigrants in the cesspool that was New York's immigrant Ghettos at the time.
Still, many considered it a better fate than what they faced where they immigrated from.

You speak from total ignorance, My grandparents come to NYC in 1905 wasn't the greatest but not a cesspool , only a white christian who lives in flyover country can be that ignorant about places they have never been or people they never had contact with A very Low IQ Cartoonish view of history

You speak from total ignorance, My grandparents come to NYC in 1905 wasn't the greatest but not a cesspool

Yes it was. This is no big secret to anyone who has studied US History at least at the high school level. You dropped out too soon, punk.

Forum List

Back