What Does Al Qaida Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max Power said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/...1523838,00.html
Robin Cook, former Foreign Secratary of the U.K.

So, that's a very interesting definitino of Al Qaida, partially backed up by wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaida
Al-Qaeda (Arabic: "the foundation" or "the base")

And then of course, there's the rest of the article.
Thanks for quoting Robin Cook, leftwing extremist, demoted by his own Labor Party, and virulently anti Blair and Bush. Yeah, he's got a lot of credibility. That's almost as believable as posting a political article from al-Guardian. What’s next? Pravda, Izvestia, China Daily, or Le Monde? Probably not, those sources are not as anti-American as al-Guardian.

freeandfun1 said:
Not sure where you went to school, but there is a HUGE difference between "base" and "database". They are not similar at all in meaning. A base is a "foundation" as Wikipedia points out. A database, as you pointed out, is a collection of data. Not sure how the author came to determine that Al-Qaida means "database" other than the fact that he is likely trying to blame the US for OBL's existence.

No shit! Really? I thought base and database are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Unless you speak Arabic, I'm not really interested in your opinion of another person's translation of an Arabic word.

OBL is a tool of the CIA btw.

onedomino said:
Thanks for quoting Robin Cook, leftwing extremist, demoted by his own Labor Party, and virulently anti Blair and Bush. Yeah, he's got a lot of credibility. That's almost as believable as posting a political article from al-Guardian. What’s next? Pravda, Izvestia, China Daily, or Le Monde? Probably not, those sources are not as anti-American as al-Guardian.

Typical ad hominem argument.

Max Power said:
Typical ad hominem argument.
Hey straw man, I criticized your extreme leftist, anti-American sources. Of course you did not respond to my criticism because the credibly of your sources cannot be defended.

onedomino said:
Hey straw man,
I don't think you know what a strawman is, I suggest you look it up
scarecrow.gif

I criticized your extreme leftist, anti-American sources.
Again with the ad hominem!

Of course you did not respond to my criticism because the credibly of your sources cannot be defended.

I assume you mean CREDIBILITY, and there is no credibility to defend in an OPINION PIECE.

Perhaps you should look up what opinion is too, while you have the dictionary open.

If you want to argue with it, feel free, but argue the content, not the author.

Max Power said:
I don't think you know what a strawman is, I suggest you look it up
scarecrow.gif

I assume you mean CREDIBILITY, and there is no credibility to defend in an OPINION PIECE.

Perhaps you should look up what opinion is too, while you have the dictionary open.

If you want to argue with it, feel free, but argue the content, not the author.
Sorry for the typo. But thanks for the arrogant condescension. I assume you meant "Secretary" when you typed "Secratary" in the post that started this thread. While looking up the definition of “ad hominem” so you can learn how to correctly apply the phrase, I suggest you also study this word: relevance. It is obviously germane to question your specious and offensive sources. Why would one waste time debating the “content” of an article that is written by discredited leftist Robin Cook and published by the anti-American rag al-Guardian? One might as well debate an op-ed piece from Al Jazeera.

Max Power said:
I think the war on terror is doomed to the same fate as the war on drugs.

Way off. drugs are just vice.

We must isolate the entire muslim community and pressure them to root out the terrorist component themselves. If they won't do it, they all must go. Sorry.

Max Power said:

Calling a leftist a "leftist" or an antiamerican an "anti american" is not a personal attack. It may factually identify the general content of a person's thinking.

Max Power said:
Unless you speak Arabic, I'm not really interested in your opinion of another person's translation of an Arabic word.

Unless you speak Arabic, I don't think anyone gives a crap about your "opinion" of another person's translation either. :laugh:

Anyway, this sort of answer is becoming "stock" when it comes to your posts. You're annoying. Why is that? Examples?

onedomino said:
Sorry for the typo. But thanks for the arrogant condescension. I assume you meant "Secretary" when you typed "Secratary" in the post that started this thread. While looking up the definition of “ad hominem” so you can learn how to correctly apply the phrase, I suggest you also study this word: relevance. It is obviously germane to question your specious and offensive sources. Why would one waste time debating the “content” of an article that is written by discredited leftist Robin Cook and published by the anti-American rag al-Guardian? One might as well debate an op-ed piece from Al Jazeera.

I've NEVER seen anyone cry "ad hominem" with respect to an article. :wtf:

Max Power said:
No shit! Really? I thought base and database are the same thing. :rolleyes:

OBL is a tool of the CIA btw.
You sure were quick to accept tha author's translation of the word. Does he speak Arabic? OBL was a tool of the CIA. :tinfoil: You need to learn how to use the proper tense when trying to formulate a sentence.

freeandfun1 said:
You sure were quick to accept tha author's translation of the word. Does he speak Arabic? OBL was a tool of the CIA. :tinfoil: You need to learn how to use the proper tense when trying to formulate a sentence.

If I was so quick to accept the author's translation, then why did I post the translation from wikipedia as well?
Not all of us have as closed a mind as some of us. I was just open to both possibilities.

Are you sure I need to use the proper tense when trying to formulate a sentence? Perhaps I was saying that OBL is currently a tool of the CIA.

Max Power said:
If I was so quick to accept the author's translation, then why did I post the translation from wikipedia as well?
Not all of us have as closed a mind as some of us. I was just open to both possibilities.

Are you sure I need to use the proper tense when trying to formulate a sentence? Perhaps I was saying that OBL is currently a tool of the CIA. (underline added)

For Chrissake, do some people live in a swamp, or what?! (ad hominem)

Isn't there something we can do to help them get rid of that little cuckoo in their brains?! (ad hominem)

They probably cannot be helped; too bad they don't just drop dead (ad hominem)

USViking said:
For Chrissake, do some people live in a swamp, or what?! (ad hominem)

Isn't there something we can do to help them get rid of that little cuckoo in their brains?! (ad hominem)

They probably cannot be helped; too bad they don't just drop dead (ad hominem)

:rotflmao: :happy2: You rule.

Max Power said:
I n he proper tense when trying to formulate a sentence? Perhaps I was saying that OBL is currently a tool of the CIA.
Yeah, and 911 was perpetrated by the CIA in conjunction with those in the White House... As was the first WTC bombing, the Kobar Tower bombings, the Embassy bomgings in Africa, the attack on the USS Cole, etc., etc.

:tinfoil:

Max Power said:
Perhaps I was saying that OBL is currently a tool of the CIA.
Perhaps? You are speculating on what you were trying to say? You should figure out what you are actually trying to say before you post. So bin Laden is currently a tool of the CIA. Did you figure that out before or after you went off your medication? Min Power, you are even more unbelievable than the sources you quote.

onedomino said:
Perhaps? You are speculating on what you were trying to say? You should figure out what you are actually trying to say before you post. So bin Laden is currently a tool of the CIA. Did you figure that out before or after you went off your medication? Min Power, you are even more unbelievable than the sources you quote.

Hint: Who? What? Where? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back