What do you think of the police?

Yeah, and again, I'm not making excuses for cops (or even for the people who get shot in such situations), but it just seems like a very different climate for cops these days. You get a lot more people threatening cops both publicly and anonymously. To some extent, I can't blame cops for being a bit on edge in today's climate and the extent of hatred that the cops experience compared to when I was a kid.
I fully agree with you about the atmosphere of hostility directed at today's cops. It's very different from the way it was just a few decades ago.

To what do you attribute this dramatic change in the social climate?

There are so many reasons why things have changed...I'm old enough also... maybe not old enough to see cops with nightsticks on a beat but they did have a different focus back then....

I would say now the media and the internet is to blame for sensationalism of every little thing....it's in our faces 24/7 and people react, sometimes to a fake story or just a biased story.
Although it's not the only factor in change of "climate" it's a big one in my opinion.
In our lifetimes cops carry their batons on a ring on their service belts on the left side with their semi auto pistols on the right.

Even then a cop on the street is an easy target for a cop killer which lately have been mostly Negroes bent on revenge for Michael Brown the rock ape and Trayvon Martin the dope smoking kid.

Yeah, and again, I'm not making excuses for cops (or even for the people who get shot in such situations), but it just seems like a very different climate for cops these days. You get a lot more people threatening cops both publicly and anonymously. To some extent, I can't blame cops for being a bit on edge in today's climate and the extent of hatred that the cops experience compared to when I was a kid.
I fully agree with you about the atmosphere of hostility directed at today's cops. It's very different from the way it was just a few decades ago.

A few decades ago were the riots. How far back does your memory go?

You're right, there were riots but for some reason I don't remember them being as bad as the ones now....I could easily be wrong though cause I'm old enough to have CRS.

You're right, there were riots but for some reason I don't remember them being as bad as the ones now....I could easily be wrong though cause I'm old enough to have CRS.
More policemen/women have been killed lately than before.

But like I said this is due to mad Negroes hunting them down in paybacks for Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. It's payback time for BLM.

I'm not going to go there but yes, BLM has caused problems.
Comrade Johnson is off to his weekend dacha today (and tomorrow) resting up for Monday.

He likes to quiz us on the mood of Americans. Then he can talk about it better in his write-up's for Pravda in Moscow.

The USA is not by and large a lawless country.

But there are undertones of racial unrest again brewing, mostly due to the police gunning down Negroes and the media jumping all over that.

Comrade Johnson is off to his weekend dacha today (and tomorrow) resting up for Monday.

He likes to quiz us on the mood of Americans. Then he can talk about it better in his write-up's for Pravda in Moscow.

But there are undertones of racial unrest again brewing, mostly due to the police gunning down Negroes and the media jumping all over that.

I don't know who comrade Johnson is, I'm fairly new here and there are a lot of members.

I agree there is trouble brewing but just not with racial unrest. There is a lot of hate happening on both sides in the states and I really wish it would stop....sounds kind of Pollyanna- ish but that's how I see it....I'm a little tired of the "snowflakes", pussy hatters, and not my president bunch. He is our President and even though he can be crude and rude and brash sometimes, he's doing a decent job so far... better than most in such a short time.
A little off topic but this sums up my view, I don't even do politics usually...I like to post pretty pictures. :)

I don't know who comrade Johnson is, I'm fairly new here and there are a lot of members.

I agree there is trouble brewing but just not with racial unrest. There is a lot of hate happening on both sides in the states and I really wish it would stop....sounds kind of Pollyanna- ish but that's how I see it....I'm a little tired of the "snowflakes", pussy hatters, and not my president bunch. He is our President and even though he can be crude and rude and brash sometimes, he's doing a decent job so far... better than most in such a short time.
A little off topic but this sums up my view, I don't even do politics usually...I like to post pretty pictures. :)
Comrade Johnson is the other new person that everybody loves just like they love you CeeCee .

His intro post is running a dozen pages or more with no end in sight.

Comrade Johnson is the other new person that everybody loves just like they love you CeeCee .

His intro post is running a dozen pages or more with no end in sight.

Well, I'm just glad I'm loved! :)

upload_2017-3-25_9-19-12.png

[...] Had I followed the sage advice of the gun nuts on this board and been packing, at least two of the three of us would have been dead.
???

Please explain.

It's not going to make sense without the context that set it up so here it is again:

I on the other hand had cops pull guns on me and put me in handcuffs for the simple act of walking home. Cops who I might add wore no uniform and never identified themselves as such. Had I followed the sage advice of the gun nuts on this board and been packing, at least two of the three of us would have been dead.
I'm walking up the street to my home. A plain car pulls up and two guys, who are wearing no type of uniform and never identify themselves at all, jump out of the car and pull guns on me. I wouldn't figure out that they were cops until later. But in the moment, had I been walking around packing heat like the gun nuts on this forum continually advise, I would have naturally used it to defend myself. Depending on how good a shot I was (and they were) there would have been some degree of fatality. For no reason at all --- I'm pretty sure cops are required to identify themselves as such. For all I knew these were kidnappers or random murderers/robbers, or whatever.

Interestingly they got even more pissed when they found I wasn't carrying a wallet. That's because I had been mugged a few days before, so I was in no mood to be accosted by unknown goons with guns.

[...]
I'm walking up the street to my home. A plain car pulls up and two guys, who are wearing no type of uniform and never identify themselves at all, jump out of the car and pull guns on me. I wouldn't figure out that they were cops until later. But in the moment, had I been walking around packing heat like the gun nuts on this forum continually advise, I would have naturally used it to defend myself. Depending on how good a shot I was (and they were) there would have been some degree of fatality. For no reason at all --- I'm pretty sure cops are required to identify themselves as such. For all I knew these were kidnappers or random murderers/robbers, or whatever.

[...]
First, who are ". . . the gun nuts on this forum. . ." and what do they continually advise? Do they recommend suicidal responses in surprise situations?

You say you were walking home when two guys jumped out of a car with guns (presumably) pointed at you. Then you say if you were carrying you would have done exactly the wrong thing, which is to reach for your own gun -- which, without being absolutely certain these guys intend to kill you, would be stupidly suicidal.

Applying basic logic, if those two guys intended to kill you they would already have begun shooting, so what makes you think you would have time to reach for your own gun? So it follows the only sensible thing to do under those surprising circumstances is to freeze, hope, and wait.

So I strongly doubt that anyone has advised you to do something stupidly suicidal.

But like I said this is due to mad Negroes hunting them down in paybacks for Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. It's payback time for BLM.
It goes much deeper than that.

If you'd care to learn the reason for the rising resentment of police in America, read Radley Balko's extremely informative book, Rise of The Warrior Cop. It is one of those rare books which hold your attention from front to back. Very hard to put down.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3M3UFQ/?tag=ff0d01-20

There are so many reasons why things have changed...I'm old enough also... maybe not old enough to see cops with nightsticks on a beat but they did have a different focus back then....

I would say now the media and the internet is to blame for sensationalism of every little thing....it's in our faces 24/7 and people react, sometimes to a fake story or just a biased story.

Although it's not the only factor in change of "climate" it's a big one in my opinion.
You're quite right about the effect the news media has on our thinking. The so-called "news" media is responsible for imparting what in fact is a mass brainwash (pre-conscious inundation and indoctrination) of the general public.

Another extremely influential medium, the entertainment media, is responsible for the general public's very distorted impression of the police. Take a few minutes to begin a list of every police-oriented movie and tv series you can recall. I promise you will be surprised by the endless progression.

You've already indicated that you've been around for awhile, so if you begin your list with one of the first cop tv programs, Dragnet, you will see a progressive change in the nature and disposition of the police culture as it has occurred over the years. E.g., from Dragnet's Sergeant Friday to NYPD Blue's Andy Sipowicz.

Yes, I watched Dragnet but haven't watched any of the newer police type shows.

Just for information purposes, I'll tell you how old I am...I'll be 66 next month. :)

It goes much deeper than that.

If you'd care to learn the reason for the rising resentment of police in America, read Radley Balko's extremely informative book, Rise of The Warrior Cop. It is one of those rare books which hold your attention from front to back. Very hard to put down.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3M3UFQ/?tag=ff0d01-20
I've never had any problem with the police.

Yes, I watched Dragnet but haven't watched any of the newer police type shows.

Just for information purposes, I'll tell you how old I am...I'll be 66 next month. :)
Most cops are decent hard working people, how ever some are just bullies. Regardless they are not above the law!!!!! If they shoot and kill unarmed people they are in the very least not fit for the job and in some cases they are flat out criminals. There is no excuse for the ride given to the fella in atlanta which killed him!!!!! He was in thier total control, hand cuffed, and put in a patty wagon which by the way is made of nothing but medle with hard sharp ridges every where. No one went to jail for the loss of life in this situation and this is a travesty that will embolden other bad apples to abuse their power. They must be held accountable for their actions on their job just like the rest of us. I have met good cops and have met bad cops. I knew one cop that I liked and played raquet ball with, I thought he was a good cop until I found out he used his position of power to sleep with a lot of women while he had a wife and daughter at home. He also used his power to stop and search a freind of mine mutiple times with no probable cause just because my buddy was sleeping with a few of the same women that he was. Not a good cop. On the flip side I knew a cop that was a youth minister had 11 kids, farmed and not onley talked the talk but walked the walk I respected him!! I do not how ever think they should be afforded any special privledges and should be just as culpable under the law as the rest of us.

Forum List

Back