What do you think of the police?

Meh--- I thought their music was simplistic.
snore.gif

I think sometimes they let their authority go to their heads. Most of them are just guys trying to do their jobs and go home to their families at night though.

I do as well, but I can also understand why in some situations. They're only human. I think this scene in The Wire exemplifies why cops are the way they are, for better or worse. *Some minor spoilers about a minor character in the show*

They can interrogate me in a hotel room. Cops are unappreciated until you need one. They get some thanks from the community but they live every day with a target on their backs and a hateful propagandizing anti-cop media that gets some of them killed.

I couldn't do the job because I can only take stupid people in small doses. They have to seek them out and deal with them all day every day. I'm pretty sure I'd end up on the evening news.

On a funny note, I've had two cops pull guns on my friend and I when I was in jr. high, but it was totally my fault. I came back from a trip to South Korea and brought back some airsoft (before airsoft was really a thing here in America) handguns that shot plastic pellets. The things were so weak that you could shoot someone at point blank range with no protection and not get more than slight welt on your skin.

Anyway, we were playing with the guns at a park late at night, and we suddenly saw a flashlight shine from the second floor window of a house that overlooked the park. The flashlight swung our way and shined on us, then it turned off.

After a few more minutes, we see cops come running up on us at the park. We each had one of these plastic handguns, and we each put our own gun in our waistband under our shirt. These plastic handguns looked very realistic in the dark, and they didn't have the orange tip that all such guns have to have now (this was before that law).

They made us put our hands up on the wall and started to search us. They searched my friend first and found his and asked what it was. I was a dumb kid who didn't really think about what I was doing, and I explained that it was a plastic pellet gun as I pulled out mine to show them (dumb mistake lol).

As soon as I started to reach for my gun, they started screaming and pulled their guns on me. They told me to put my hands up, and I immediately did and dropped the gun. Once they realized what the guns were, they actually laughed about it. Then they showed us their handguns (not let us hold them or anything).

I had two fake handguns. Once was a Beretta model and the other was a Smith and Wesson model. One of the cops had the exact same Smith and Wesson handgun except his was the real deal. He actually held it side by side with my gun, and thy looked nearly identical. The only difference is one had a longer barrel, and the coloring was only slightly off. And, obviously, if you held both in your hands, you'd immediately know that one was real and one was light and made of plastic.

They joked around with us and explained that there was a break in at the house, and they were the ones who had shined the lights on us. They gave the fake guns back to us and let us go on our way. Totally cool guys.

Frankly and only truth :)
This all depends on where in the USA you live.

If you live in a big city of 1 million or more the police are usually quite hostile because their jobs are more dangerous there and this tends to stress them out. Normally however if you are polite to them they will act professionally towards you.

If you live in a smaller town of 100 thousand or less the police are normally quite friendly and polite.

What do I think of them? I think they have a job to do. I think it is a hard job and not for everyone.

I always try to keep all the laws, obey all speed limits and traffic laws, pet license for my cat, etc. I never have trouble with the police.

Where I live when I take my cat for a walk after midnight sometimes the paranoid neighbors will call the police. The police have always been friendly to me especially when they see the cat and the pet license hanging from the cat's neck.

Most people with cats are flagrant about NOT getting pet licenses.

My cat has a pet license however.

I am lily white and 50% German, 25% Greek, and 25% French Celtic.

Negroes normally have a very bad habit of running away from the police, and this triggers a chase response in the police the same as if you tried to run away from a dog or a mountain lion or bear. Then you are going to get tackled and handcuffed.

Never run away from the police. Always stand your ground and be polite and answer all their questions.

Latinos have a habit of running away from the police anytime they cause a car crash. Even if the car is registered to them and they are easily traceable later. But they usually get away.

Ergo Latinos run faster and better than Negroes.

Q.E.D.

I think there are some bad apples here and there, but, for the most part, they're normal, mostly good people doing a thankless job.[...]
What do you mean by "a thankless job?" Please be specific and if necessary provide examples.
It means "nobody ever thanks them".

But I thank them, and I also apologize that the neighbors uselessly called them over me walking my cat after midnight.

people get shot that way....
Here people get shot when they have a weapon such as a gun, a knife, or a pipe in their hands and they do not drop it when ordered to do so by the police.

The police actually have no choice. If an assailant is within 7 yards (or meters) of you and they have a knife or pipe they can kill you before you can draw your gun and shoot them. So the police must shoot them the moment it's apparently by their body language that they are not going to comply.

We have people -- normally homeless and mentally ill -- shot by police here about once each month.

I think sometimes they let their authority go to their heads. Most of them are just guys trying to do their jobs and go home to their families at night though.
... In big cities yes ... in smaller towns no.

Forum List

Back