What do you grow?

I have a backyard garden. I grow fruit trees and vegetables.

My vegetable list:
lettuce, carrots, spinach cabbage, broccoli, and strawberries.

I also have a couple of Japanese Maple.

Fall season is coming!

You don't grow any tomatoes? How un-American! :)

Of course I do. But not this season.
I usually grow tomatoes mid-February. That's the perfect time to begin planting here in my area.
Oh yeah, I noticed it's not on my list.:dig:

Mid Feb? The ground is hard like cement here in Feb. Glad you grow tomatoes, next year I may grow just tomatoes - and maybe bell peppers, the other stuff I really don't care too much about.

I had a disastrous garden this year. By late June we here in east Tennessee we had already had nearly 50" of rain ... and while that's great for bushes, it "ain't worth a hoot" for the actual vegetables. I did ok on tomatoes and okra, but my squash, cucumbers, watermelons and cantelopes got completely hosed. The bushes and vines began dying way early ... the leaves appeared to be stricken with blight or something ... and then, poof. Dead and gone.

Ironically it was one of my best efforts in years. Too bad I chose this year to work my rear end off for nothing.

Such are the risks of gardening I suppose.

Sorry to hear that. It's terrible to put all that much work into it only to have the elements do it in.
I thought watermelons would do great with lots of water? I never have had much luck growing watermelons. One year, before we got our fence a watermelon vine grew out of a seed thrown out in the grass, had a watermelon on it the size of a full grown cantaloupe and I was watering it regularly and watching it grow and one morning I found it stomped to smithereens by deer.

Why oh why do the Eggplant gods hate me. They grow to half size. Then turn from purple to brown and just hang there. Only nightshade I cannot grow.

Last edited:
Why oh why do the Eggplant gods hate me. They grow to half size. Then turn from purple to brown and just hang there. Only nightshade I cannot grow.

I have a similar problem. Mine don't turn brown, because I cut them, but they are small and taste a bit bitter. I'm about to give up trying to grow them, but I love Eggplant!

You don't grow any tomatoes? How un-American! :)

I usually grow tomatoes mid-February. That's the perfect time to begin planting here in my area.

Mid Feb? The ground is hard like cement here in Feb. Glad you grow tomatoes, next year I may grow just tomatoes - and maybe bell peppers, the other stuff I really don't care too much about.

Oh I see, you're from TX.
I've heard about greenhouse tomatoes in the deserts of Far West Texas.
It's amazing how they grow tomatoes in the desert.

I guess if you have the time and desire you probably can grow tomatoes anywhere, they are fairly easy. I love tomatoes, can eat them right off the vine, the other stuff becomes a burden. I had to pluck okra every day or they would grow to 12 inches long in one day, and not edible anymore - didn't know what to do with so much. I froze some, but after a while, it's just over-kill.

I guess if you have the time and desire you probably can grow tomatoes anywhere, they are fairly easy. I love tomatoes, can eat them right off the vine, the other stuff becomes a burden. I had to pluck okra every day or they would grow to 12 inches long in one day, and not edible anymore - didn't know what to do with so much. I froze some, but after a while, it's just over-kill.

I get these big gigantic green worms on my tomatoes every year so I gave up on them this year as they attract hornets. i grow basil, oregano, rosemary, and other herbs. i also grow milkweed for Monarch butterflies.

I get these big gigantic green worms on my tomatoes every year so I gave up on them this year as they attract hornets. i grow basil, oregano, rosemary, and other herbs. i also grow milkweed for Monarch butterflies.

Yeah, those are called "Tomato Worms."

Dust your plant with sulpher and you don't have to worry about them.

My garden is resting right now.....I don't grow anything in the winter, I'm doing well to grow stuff in the spring and summer. I am trying to rock my paths in the garden, but only got started and then holidays got in the way and I haven't finished.

I will do it before next spring....I promised myself.....:lol::lol:

Onions and Garlic over the winter. I have some tomatoes that I rooted from cuttings a week before the first freeze. Am building a small hot house and will see if they do well enough to produce.

At one time, a variety of fruit from trees and an abundance of vegetables. As for now, if I had the place to do so, I could tell you what I would love to grow...*winks*

Trying sempervivum this year. The wife of a business partner of mine has a backyard full of them she said she got from 3 plants 4 years ago. Low maintenance.

There are so many varieties, which one in particular do you like? I have "Hen and chicks", and it has spread....haven't checked to see if the freeze hurt them...they are in the ground.

Trying sempervivum this year. The wife of a business partner of mine has a backyard full of them she said she got from 3 plants 4 years ago. Low maintenance.

There are so many varieties, which one in particular do you like? I have "Hen and chicks", and it has spread....haven't checked to see if the freeze hurt them...they are in the ground.

She gave me some called Pacific Blue Ice or Ice Blue (I forget which one). Very nice looking plants. I'm putting mine in pots.

She gave me some called Pacific Blue Ice or Ice Blue (I forget which one). Very nice looking plants. I'm putting mine in pots.

That's probably safer, but I don't have any more places to bring my winter plants indoors..my sunroom is filled, and every room that has a window has to house a plant....

Maybe I should've covered them....but I have too much else going on....like posting here :lol:

That's probably safer, but I don't have any more places to bring my winter plants indoors..my sunroom is filled, and every room that has a window has to house a plant....

Maybe I should've covered them....but I have too much else going on....like posting here :lol:

Depending on what area of Tx. you are in...they will likely be fine! Many gals I know have them in the ground up north and they still manage to come back every year.
I don't have any YET!!! On my "wish" list! :bye1:

Depending on what area of Tx. you are in...they will likely be fine! Many gals I know have them in the ground up north and they still manage to come back every year.
I don't have any YET!!! On my "wish" list! :bye1:

I'd like to set off an area where I could plant a variety of them...I bet they would look nice, we have lots of rocks.. sort of like this:

IMG_4084.jpg

Until yesterday, I've been busy for the last couple of weeks.
I have over 500 onion plants in the ground. They were planted in late Nov. & mid Jan.! They are looking good since I FINALLY got them all weeded.
All of my raised beds are either planted or ready to plant!...weed free!...manure turned in.
I have cabbage maturing and more got planted last week from seeds I started.
I have peas that are nearly ready to start picking and I also have some that have just barely started breaking ground. I have 2 different plantings of radishes up.
I have carrots with tops about 4" tall and I planted more last week.
A few spinach seeds are in the ground too...if they do anything. I have a terrible time with spinach.
I also set out 6 tomato plants and 8 (I think) celery plants last week.
I planted potatoes on Valentines and most of them are up.
Now I have to wait for just a bit more warmth before I plant anything else.

So it will be more clean up of the flower beds for a few days. I don't have too much more to do in that area, thank goodness!

I also have 2 onions and a bunch of potatoes growing in my compost! :lol:

Well, I think I may have lied. I said I was only going to grow tomatoes and peppers this year, and I went ape shit and bought all kinds of plants/seeds.

I'm growing:

Squash (yellow)
Zucchini
Okra
Eggplant
Green beans
Cantaloup
Peppers
Tomatoes
Brussel sprouts (first time, hoping they do good)
Radishes
Edamame (saw these at Home Depot and decided to try them out...I love the fruit in salads).
cucumbers
Asparagus (this bed remains year after year, just harvest them and spread compost material on the bed)

This is the way it looked one week ago....I already have several little tomatoes on my tomato plants...

P1010898.jpg

And, I did finish putting rocks in my paths...lots less work pulling weeds...although there is some sort of grass that is managing to come through the newspaper, black cloth and rocks...damn, some strong sort, for sure.

This is how the paths look now.

P1010897-1.jpg

I've also hayed almost all the beds to keep the weeds down.

Forum List

Back