What did the Freemasons know that we can see today in the great cathedrals?

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
Most of us are familiar with Freemasons as a secret organization. But they had their origins in masonic orders, or unions, often cited as originating in the 16th or 17th centuries. They used amazing mathematical formulae to calculate, design, and build those great cathedrals, of which Notre Dame is one. Did they use mathematics and where did they find the formulae that allowed them to achieve such monumental deeds?

Most of us are familiar with Freemasons as a secret organization. But they had their origins in masonic orders, or unions, often cited as originating in the 16th or 17th centuries. They used amazing mathematical formulae to calculate, design, and build those great cathedrals, of which Notre Dame is one. Did they use mathematics and where did they find the formulae that allowed them to achieve such monumental deeds?

Yes, they used proportions and ratios from the Bible. I saw the PBS show too. :)

Yes, they used proportions and ratios from the Bible. I saw the PBS show too. :)
Actually, I read "Pillars of the Earth", (Ken Follet). They make a lot about the proportions of a proper cathedral.

Actually, I read "Pillars of the Earth", (Ken Follet). They make a lot about the proportions of a proper cathedral.

Good book.

This was just on last week. It was really good. Building the Great Cathedrals

There is an excellent series by a retired West Point instructor that gets into the mathematics of the great cathedrals. I have a copy here somewhere - just can't find it right now. A little websearching might turn it up for those who are interested. I believe it's available at many public libraries at no cost; the series sold for $100 or more when I bought it several years ago. I could make a case that Ely Cathedral in The UK is the best of the lot.....

Good book.

I'll see if I can find it. The great cathedrals are attracting lots of interest since Notre Dame burned.
Are the proportions outlined in the Bible? Do you happen to know which passages?

There is an excellent series by a retired West Point instructor that gets into the mathematics of the great cathedrals. I have a copy here somewhere - just can't find it right now. A little websearching might turn it up for those who are interested. I believe it's available at many public libraries at no cost; the series sold for $100 or more when I bought it several years ago. I could make a case that Ely Cathedral in The UK is the best of the lot.....
That bears further investigation, too.
I have always been fascinated by architecture and particularly the great, Renaissance and Medieval structures. Amazing what people did with some pretty primitive "innovations".

They knew not to smoke while renovating ancient cathedrals. They also had secret plans for sprinkler systems but lacked the plumbing. Also, that the French are idiots.

Good book.

I'll see if I can find it. The great cathedrals are attracting lots of interest since Notre Dame burned.
Are the proportions outlined in the Bible? Do you happen to know which passages?

According to the show, it was in the passages talking about the Temple of Solomon. I believe it is in 1 Kings

th

Try this book.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Forum List

Back