What did Mayor DiBlasio actually say about NYC police?

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
I was curious about exactly what he had said, that caused police to send him letters saying "If I am killed in the line of duty, please don't attend my funeral, that would be an insult to my sacrifice."

Found this:

-------------------------------------------

Mayor de Blasio vs. The NYPD A Short History MRCTV

de Blasio’s first swipe at the police came shortly after the decision by a Grand Jury not to indict a police officer in the death of Eric garner. During a press conference, de Blasio brought up his son, Dante, who is of mixed race and implied that he was concerned that his son might be the victim of police misconduct from the NYPD.

"So I've had to worry over the years. Chirlane's had to worry. Is Dante safe each night? There are so many families in this city who feel that each and every night. Is my child safe? And not just from some of the painful realities—crime and violence in some of our neighborhoods—but is safe from the very people they want to have faith in as their protectors.

We’ve had to literally train him, as families have all over this city for decades, in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him.”

This statement led to outrage among the leaders of police unions and some in the media.

In the days that followed de Blasio gave full-throated support to the protesters who were rallying against the perceived injustice of the Eric Garner and Mike Brown deaths. He took NYPD officers off of other assignments in order to protect the protesters as they blocked off streets, chanted “What do we want? Dead cops!” and in several cases assaulted members of the NYPD.

Following the assaults, de Blasio took days before even acknowledging that protesters had assaulted two officers.

I was curious about exactly what he had said, that caused police to send him letters saying "If I am killed in the line of duty, please don't attend my funeral, that would be an insult to my sacrifice."

Found this:

-------------------------------------------

Mayor de Blasio vs. The NYPD A Short History MRCTV

de Blasio’s first swipe at the police came shortly after the decision by a Grand Jury not to indict a police officer in the death of Eric garner. During a press conference, de Blasio brought up his son, Dante, who is of mixed race and implied that he was concerned that his son might be the victim of police misconduct from the NYPD.

"So I've had to worry over the years. Chirlane's had to worry. Is Dante safe each night? There are so many families in this city who feel that each and every night. Is my child safe? And not just from some of the painful realities—crime and violence in some of our neighborhoods—but is safe from the very people they want to have faith in as their protectors.

We’ve had to literally train him, as families have all over this city for decades, in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him.”

This statement led to outrage among the leaders of police unions and some in the media.

In the days that followed de Blasio gave full-throated support to the protesters who were rallying against the perceived injustice of the Eric Garner and Mike Brown deaths. He took NYPD officers off of other assignments in order to protect the protesters as they blocked off streets, chanted “What do we want? Dead cops!” and in several cases assaulted members of the NYPD.

Following the assaults, de Blasio took days before even acknowledging that protesters had assaulted two officers.

I found this:

"De Blasio had called the Garner case “profoundly personal for me,” saying that because of “the dangers [Dante] may face, we’ve had to literally train him ... in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him.”

The comments angered cops, with one saying, “Did he tell his son to be wary of his police bodyguards, that he should be afraid of them as they pick him up at school and drive him where he needs to go?”

Police fury at mayor 8217 s racial smear New York Post

All I could think of when Sean played the clip of DiBlasio talking about the risks his son faces with NYPD was "I hope no one in the immediate family needs to call 911 up and coming".

Bloody hell what an asshole.

MRC TV is a conservative media entity, and its objectivity is consequently suspect.

The fact is that de Blasio didn't say anything to warrant the inappropriate actions of some in New York law enforcement, and it's idiocy to suggest that the Mayor or the protesters are in anyway 'responsible' for the murder of the two police officers.

MRC TV is a conservative media entity, and its objectivity is consequently suspect.

The fact is that de Blasio didn't say anything to warrant the inappropriate actions of some in New York law enforcement, and it's idiocy to suggest that the Mayor or the protesters are in anyway 'responsible' for the murder of the two police officers.

This is part of what he said along with the response from one cop.

De Blasio had called the Garner case “profoundly personal for me,” saying that because of “the dangers [Dante] may face, we’ve had to literally train him ... in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him.”

The comments angered cops, with one saying, “Did he tell his son to be wary of his police bodyguards, that he should be afraid of them as they pick him up at school and drive him where he needs to go?”

Police fury at mayor 8217 s racial smear New York Post

Let's hope he can work toward cleaning up that very corrupt and racist police force.

He doesn't need to since there are very few corrupt or racist cops in the NYPD.
Two problems:

With that big a force there will be plenty of examples even with 99.99% accuracy to your statement.

Calling an incident of what was at worst incompetence racist is a great way to create racism and corruption.

De Blasio said the attack on police on the Brooklyn Bridge which was captured on video...
He said the "alledged" attacks on police....

That after other comments really got the NYPD pissed.

Forum List

Back