What Christians say when they pray to God:

I frequently mutter my thanks for something wonderful.

You know, a particularly beautiful night sky, morning songs of birds, a sunny day, that sort of thing.

I don't really do this for GOD's benefit, I mostly do it to just remind myself that being and existence is a miracle that surpasseth all understanding.

You know, a particularly beautiful night sky, morning songs of birds, a sunny day, that sort of thing.

I don't really do this for GOD's benefit, I mostly do it to just remind myself that being and existence is a miracle that surpasseth all understanding.

Well it surpasseth yours anyway. I'm sure God doesn't take it as any sort of homage if it's not meant as such, so don't worry.

Well it surpasseth yours anyway. I'm sure God doesn't take it as any sort of homage if it's not meant as such, so don't worry.

I'm sure we're all impressed with your deep understanding of the Word, dear.

Have a stellar day.

I asked a very devout Christian and a close friend of many years what he said when he prayed to God. I tried it phrase it in a way that wasn't "leading". For instance, I didn't say, "What do you ask God for when you pray?"

I didn't ask, "Does God answer your prayers?"

I said, "What do you say when you pray to God?" And I told him I would ask that question on this board. Whatever people say, I will print out and give to him so be careful. This is not a joke.

I have no supernatural beliefs, but my friend is seriously interested in what others "say" when they pray to God.

I told him many might not want to share. He said that's OK. He said I could write out what he says. But I don't want to do that yet because it may be surprising to some. There is no politics or global warming or science or any of that stuff involved. It's a simple question. Please don't answer if you feel it's too intrusive. I will not negative comment on any answer received.

Why don't you and your stupid friend read this Prayer - What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?

I asked a very devout Christian and a close friend of many years what he said when he prayed to God. I tried it phrase it in a way that wasn't "leading". For instance, I didn't say, "What do you ask God for when you pray?"

I said, "What do you say when you pray to God?" And I told him I would ask that question on this board. Whatever people say, I will print out and give to him so be careful. This is not a joke.

I have no supernatural beliefs, but my friend is seriously interested in what others "say" when they pray to God.

I told him many might not want to share. He said that's OK. He said I could write out what he says. But I don't want to do that yet because it may be surprising to some. There is no politics or global warming or science or any of that stuff involved. It's a simple question. Please don't answer if you feel it's too intrusive. I will not negative comment on any answer received.

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pocketing the infant from the nativity scene at Christmas, one enterprising young man was heard to say, " dear God, if you ever want to see your kid again..." :eusa_whistle:

I can't imagine why a true believer would want to share such personal thoughts with someone who consistently demonstrates such a high level of contempt and disdain for people of faith. Is this Christian friend you're claiming to have aware that you think they have a lower level of intelligence than you??

I can't imagine why a true believer would want to share such personal thoughts with someone who consistently demonstrates such a high level of contempt and disdain for people of faith. Is this Christian friend you're claiming to have aware that you think they have a lower level of intelligence than you??

You just never know where a heartfelt testimony of spiritual faith (not politically motivated, but from down deep), might strike a chord...not necessarily to convert another to one's personal BRAND of religion, but to make someone believe, really believe, that the outwardly devout might in some way be truly loving to their fellow man, as opposed to the roving douche bags the loudest and proudest of their lot have convinced so many that all who travel with them are.

I know that sounds just awful, but it is.

I also know a few really wonderful people who adhere to beliefs diametrically opposed to mine who conduct themselves with such honor and integrity that I consider it a true blessing when they tell me that they pray for me.

Its all in the tude...the approach.

Let ye be fishers of men...leave the gutting and cleaning to a more discerning eye and a steadier hand.

I'm sure we're all impressed with your deep understanding of the Word, dear.

Have a stellar day.
Thanks, you're a peach.:clap2:

I simply share whats in my heart and burdening me and ask for wisdom and the capacity to be the person He wants me to be.

As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings. - Bible dictionary: Prayer

Overall, for His will to be done. There are also petitions, thanksgivings, and other requests, thousands of them. Some have been answered, some have not. We are encouraged to go to Him with everything, but also trusting Him in any outcome... as His will be done.

Philippians 4
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

The prayer Jesus told us about is so beautiful when we really look at all it says, it covers everything...

Luke 11
1 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

3 Give us day by day our daily bread.

4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Luke 11 - Passage Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

On the lighter side - These are so precious, cute, and honest, lol :)

Children's prayers

ATT3704810.jpg

ATT3704813.jpg

ATT3704799.jpg

ATT3704809.jpg

ATT3704808.jpg

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

I asked God to make rdean and truthmatters stop posting here.

He gave me your bike instead.

Dear Sherry: Even if what you say rings of any truth,
Jesus himself chose to befriend the people of the masses, even the
prostitutes and undesireables of that day, despite criticisms of people
asking about his choice of company. He answered at one point that
the doctor comes for the sick not the well. So it makes sense that
to be Christlike, believers would tend to those whose souls they
are concerned about, and not worry so much for preaching to the converted.

I share prayers and corrections with my friends who are believers in Christ as well,
but we tend to work independently, and focus on addressing areas where there is
trouble from unforgiven or unresolved conflicts that need spiritual or social attention both.

And BTW about intelligence, that is as much a strength as it is a weakness.
I have friends who were behind in academic or intellectual knowledge
who were FASTER and more OPEN to understanding spiritual concepts
because they DIDN'T have all that extra thinking or ego that comes with it
get in the way. So it works both ways, what can seem like a minus can
be a plus, what in some cases is a huge plus in other ways becomes a huge minus.

In this way, people come out equal relatively speaking. None of us, despite our great
gifts or capacities in this area or that, is more worthy as a soul than the next person.
Even those who have either caused or who have suffered "greater harm" or debts
than another in comparison, also have greater opportunity for restitution and reward
proportionate to that same degree. So it comes out even and there is justice overall.

Take care and thank you for sharing your concern.
I'm sure if the poster has some issues, those will be addressed
by interacting with concerned people, to the mutual benefit of BOTH.
It is more blessed to give than to receive, so both are blessed in the process of sharing.

Yours truly,
Emily

Dear Sherry: Even if what you say rings of any truth,
Jesus himself chose to befriend the people of the masses, even the
prostitutes and undesireables of that day, despite criticisms of people
asking about his choice of company. He answered at one point that
the doctor comes for the sick not the well. So it makes sense that
to be Christlike, believers would tend to those whose souls they
are concerned about, and not worry so much for preaching to the converted.

I share prayers and corrections with my friends who are believers in Christ as well,
but we tend to work independently, and focus on addressing areas where there is
trouble from unforgiven or unresolved conflicts that need spiritual or social attention both.

And BTW about intelligence, that is as much a strength as it is a weakness.
I have friends who were behind in academic or intellectual knowledge
who were FASTER and more OPEN to understanding spiritual concepts
because they DIDN'T have all that extra thinking or ego that comes with it
get in the way. So it works both ways, what can seem like a minus can
be a plus, what in some cases is a huge plus in other ways becomes a huge minus.

In this way, people come out equal relatively speaking. None of us, despite our great
gifts or capacities in this area or that, is more worthy as a soul than the next person.
Even those who have either caused or who have suffered "greater harm" or debts
than another in comparison, also have greater opportunity for restitution and reward
proportionate to that same degree. So it comes out even and there is justice overall.

Take care and thank you for sharing your concern.
I'm sure if the poster has some issues, those will be addressed
by interacting with concerned people, to the mutual benefit of BOTH.
It is more blessed to give than to receive, so both are blessed in the process of sharing.

Yours truly,
Emily

I can appreciate the sentiment you're expressing, but I'm a heathen Lutheran.:D I have NO desire to witness to anyone....my spirituality is very personal, and I just don't give a shit what anyone else believes or doesn't believe. I don't think people can be forced to believe, or force themselves to stop believing. My point to the OP is that I find it hard to imagine him befriending someone he would obviously consider an ignorant idiot, and have genuine interest in their feelings. I could be wrong, but based on his postings, he would be a royal and condescending ass as a friend to any Christian. If my atheist friends talked down to me the way he does to people here, I'd tell them to piss off and move on.

If there is an all-knowing God, then such a God would know my deepest desires and concerns. Therefore prayer would not be necessary.

Asking would not be necessary. Praying is about much more than asking.

Why don't you and your stupid friend read this Prayer - What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?

A. Since prayers are largely to prepare the INDIVIDUAL for changes and preparations needed in life, prayers tend to be unique to each individual. They may follow basic patterns, universal to all people and situations, but the specifics are relative and unique.

B. There are also different TYPES of prayer for different steps or situations in someone's path. You cannot substitute one type for another, or skip steps, or it may not work!

The best book I have found explaining the difference between four types of prayer
(including deliverance which does not work if certain steps are skipped or out of order)
is HEALING by Francis MacNutt. This book is so helpful, I give out free copies to people,
especially to people in mental health professions who want to understand severe abuse or addiction cases blocked emotionally by denial, and either cannot or refuse to be helped.

Note to Warrior: starting with the 1999 edition of this book HEALING, the author added citations to a medical research study on Rheumatoid Arthritis and effects attributed to healing prayer applied using the methods taught and practiced by the Christian Healing Ministry. Why don't "you and your friends" read that book? It also includes 12 reasons
why prayer fails, some of which can be corrected and some cannot be changed.

And if you really want to push the limits on the use of prayer for deliverance/exorcism,
I recommend "Glimpses of the Devil" by renowned author Dr. M. Scott Peck. What he witnessed and experienced as a professional psychotherapist applying the scientific method changed his entire perception of the connection between the spiritual realm, the mental capacity and will of patients who previously denyied and refused therapy, and professional methods of diagnosis and effective treatment and cure by early intervention.

Books like this open the door for science to explore and explain the natural energy and process in healing the mind and body, where before this knowledge and practice was only taken on faith, as in the Bible. Today we have digitial technology that can measure and prove the effects of healing prayer and forgiveness therapies, before and after.

I can appreciate the sentiment you're expressing, but I'm a heathen Lutheran.:D I have NO desire to witness to anyone....my spirituality is very personal, and I just don't give a shit what anyone else believes or doesn't believe. I don't think people can be forced to believe, or force themselves to stop believing. My point to the OP is that I find it hard to imagine him befriending someone he would obviously consider an ignorant idiot, and have genuine interest in their feelings. I could be wrong, but based on his postings, he would be a royal and condescending ass as a friend to any Christian. If my atheist friends talked down to me the way he does to people here, I'd tell them to piss off and move on.

Hi Sherry I am Lutheran also, and seek reform similar to the church reformation except with the state Constitutional laws that were corrupted the same way.

I have much worse experience than this, with "friends" being abusive, condescending, rejecting and pure insulting. I ask them if they have a problem with me, then let's correct the problem. If they refuse to follow mediation or conflict resolution, that is their problem not mine, but I give them that choice.

The Bible says that of a couple unequally yoked, if the nonbeliever asks the believer to depart, then the believer does that. But the believer does not reject the nonbeliever.

So I apply this toward friendships as well. If my friends cannot take the level of reconciliation I seek, and they ask to depart company, I can try to work it out and ask to correct it, but if the desire is not mutual, then I must accept that.

If they keep coming back and trying to fix it, or change something even if they project it as changing me, then I try to work with that person. Again, if they refuse to try, and they give up and walk away, then of course I let that go.

The only people I've had trouble reconciling with are mentally ill and/or off their medications. Other than that, people who are thinking for themselves, and have control of their memories and communicating their perceptions, no matter how negative, are usually able to maintain some kind of workable debate or discussion if we stick to the issues.

I try not to go off onto personal judgments because that gets us both off track.

I find if you identify and stick with the core issues, people care so much about the points or beliefs they espouse, they will work through until some agreement or information is established that resolves the conflicts or furthers the process even if it isn't finished yet.

If the person is being a jerk, then they can learn how not to be that way if we are going to be able to communicate.

The real jerks who are not interested in any resolution
will BACK OFF on their own when they find out I am serious about
establishing agreement and truth! that is TOO MUCH WORK.
So only the people who really care will stick around and keep trying.
The rest will run the other way, I don't have to tell them or ask them.

They screen themselves out when I adhere to resolving the truth in a respectable
two-way relationship.

That is how I handle that. The problems tend to take care of themselves
without me ever having to play the bad guy or jerk back to them!

Hope you enjoy more productive and constructive interactions
and not the negative type that waste energy and destroy relations.

You are right, that there is no sense in getting caught in that.
I agree with you there!

Yours truly,
Emily

P.S. Please tell your atheist friends to get on backpage.com
there is a whole "A-team" of atheists still learning how to deal
with theists and Christians and vice versa. Some of them only know how to share insults back and forth, and don't see any reason to change. So anything you do instead of that
might lend encouragement and support for others not to give up and resort to insults.

I have tried to make the point that the more one side opens up to accept and work with the other approach, then the change is mutual and the barriers can drop that are blocking both of them. But they don't get that, they keep trying to say the other person should change. They see no merit in the other approach (ie theist vs nontheist) while I see that the two paths, the churched under sacred/divine laws and the gentiles under secular/natural laws, are necessary complements required to check and balance each other, with faith and reason together to establish and align along points of common truth.

The frustration is mutual, in failing to communicate when both sides use different languages and concepts (ie science and agreement in logical reasoning vs scripture and faith in agreement in interpretation), but so are the steps to resolution also mutual.
Both would have to agree to forgive and accept differences in order to make corrections.
But the minute one side makes mistakes, they are accused of being completely false and wrong instead of correcting that particular misperception or misinterpretation. So they spend all their time and energy using that to "discredit" each other, instead of correcting it.

I think you must be familiar with this type of interaction.
If you take the opposite approach as I do, maybe you can help on that board.
I have not been able to correct the problems, so maybe your approach might work better?

Hi Sherry I am Lutheran also, and seek reform similar to the church reformation except with the state Constitutional laws that were corrupted the same way.

I have much worse experience than this, with "friends" being abusive, condescending, rejecting and pure insulting. I ask them if they have a problem with me, then let's correct the problem. If they refuse to follow mediation or conflict resolution, that is their problem not mine, but I give them that choice.

The Bible says that of a couple unequally yoked, if the nonbeliever asks the believer to depart, then the believer does that. But the believer does not reject the nonbeliever.

So I apply this toward friendships as well. If my friends cannot take the level of reconciliation I seek, and they ask to depart company, I can try to work it out and ask to correct it, but if the desire is not mutual, then I must accept that.

If they keep coming back and trying to fix it, or change something even if they project it as changing me, then I try to work with that person. Again, if they refuse to try, and they give up and walk away, then of course I let that go.

The only people I've had trouble reconciling with are mentally ill and/or off their medications. Other than that, people who are thinking for themselves, and have control of their memories and communicating their perceptions, no matter how negative, are usually able to maintain some kind of workable debate or discussion if we stick to the issues.

I try not to go off onto personal judgments because that gets us both off track.

I find if you identify and stick with the core issues, people care so much about the points or beliefs they espouse, they will work through until some agreement or information is established that resolves the conflicts or furthers the process even if it isn't finished yet.

If the person is being a jerk, then they can learn how not to be that way if we are going to be able to communicate.

The real jerks who are not interested in any resolution
will BACK OFF on their own when they find out I am serious about
establishing agreement and truth! that is TOO MUCH WORK.
So only the people who really care will stick around and keep trying.
The rest will run the other way, I don't have to tell them or ask them.

They screen themselves out when I adhere to resolving the truth in a respectable
two-way relationship.

That is how I handle that. The problems tend to take care of themselves
without me ever having to play the bad guy or jerk back to them!

Hope you enjoy more productive and constructive interactions
and not the negative type that waste energy and destroy relations.

You are right, that there is no sense in getting caught in that.
I agree with you there!

Yours truly,
Emily

P.S. Please tell your atheist friends to get on backpage.com
there is a whole "A-team" of atheists still learning how to deal
with theists and Christians and vice versa. Some of them only know how to share insults back and forth, and don't see any reason to change. So anything you do instead of that
might lend encouragement and support for others not to give up and resort to insults.

I have tried to make the point that the more one side opens up to accept and work with the other approach, then the change is mutual and the barriers can drop that are blocking both of them. But they don't get that, they keep trying to say the other person should change. They see no merit in the other approach (ie theist vs nontheist) while I see that the two paths, the churched under sacred/divine laws and the gentiles under secular/natural laws, are necessary complements required to check and balance each other, with faith and reason together to establish and align along points of common truth.

The frustration is mutual, in failing to communicate when both sides use different languages and concepts (ie science and agreement in logical reasoning vs scripture and faith in agreement in interpretation), but so are the steps to resolution also mutual.
Both would have to agree to forgive and accept differences in order to make corrections.
But the minute one side makes mistakes, they are accused of being completely false and wrong instead of correcting that particular misperception or misinterpretation. So they spend all their time and energy using that to "discredit" each other, instead of correcting it.

I think you must be familiar with this type of interaction.
If you take the opposite approach as I do, maybe you can help on that board.
I have not been able to correct the problems, so maybe your approach might work better?

Thanks for the invite, but it doesn't hold any compelling interest for me. I guess I've been lucky in my relationships, and have only experienced mutual respect in areas of differences....I actually am attracted to people who are different because I learn more.:)

When i pray...i usually pray the same way so many others here have said. I always thank God for his blessings. But sometimes i just sit quietly and listen for HIM to talk to me. So many times people are so wrapped up in "talking" to God, that they don't ever just stop and LISTEN to Him.

Forum List

Back