What Are You Reading?

two books that look interesting to me are by Roger Stone,
51MvZyKRjOL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
book_clintons.jpg

Currently reading:
War and Peace- Tolstoy
A Mighty Fortress: A New History of the German People - Steven Osment
A World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones- Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and Linda Antonsson
Anything and everything about the world of A Song if Ice and Fire captivates me.

Last Five:
The Plantagenets - Dan Jones
The first book of Roberto Bolano's 2666 trilogy
The Wars of the Roses - Michael Hicks
Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell This is a great book for Orwell fans. An account of his time spent fighting for the Republican government during the Spanish Civil War.
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Thinking about starting the next book in Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. A lot more magic and supernatural than ASoIaF, but has that same gritty, blurred lines between good and bad. Like Mr. Martin, he doesn't seem to mind killing off characters the readers become attached to.

Death In Four Courses- Lucy Burdette.

The annual Key West Loves Literature seminar is drawing the biggest

names in food writing from all over the country, and Haley Snow is

there to catch a few fresh morsels of insider gossip. Superstar

restaurant critic Jonah Barrows has already ruffled a few foodie

feathers with his recent tell-all memoir, and as keynote speaker, he

promises more of the same jaw-dropping honesty.

But when Hayley discovers Jonah's body in a nearby dipping pool, the

cocktail hour buzz takes a sour turn, and Hayley finds herself at the

center of attention--especially with the police. Now it's up to her to

catch the killer before she comes to her own bitter finish.

Last edited:
The Third Victim - Lisa Gardner

The past isn't over....

An unspeakable act has ripped apart the idyllic town of Bakersville, Oregon, and its once-peaceful residents are demanding quick justice. But though a boy has confessed to the horrific crime, evidence shows he may not be guilty.

Officer Rainie Conner, leading her first homicide investigation, stands at the center of the controversy. It's hitting too close to home, bringing back her worst nightmares, threatening to expose her secret sins. But with the boy's life at stake, she won't let anything stop her from finding the real killer.

With the help of FBI profiler Pierce Quincy, Rainie comes closer to a deadly truth than she can imagine. Because out there in the shadows a man watches her and plots his next move. He knows her secrets. He kills for sport. He's already brought death to Bakersville and forever shattered the community. But what he has really come for is Rainie -- and he won't leave until he has destroyed her....

Wish You Were Here - Rita Mae Brown

Curiosity just might be the death of Mrs. Murphy--and her human companion, Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen. Small towns are like families: Everyone lives very close together. . .and everyone keeps secrets. Crozet, Virginia, is a typical small town-until its secrets explode into murder. Crozet's thirty-something post-mistress, Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen, has a tiger cat (Mrs. Murphy) and a Welsh Corgi (Tucker), a pending divorce, and a bad habit of reading postcards not addressed to her. When Crozet's citizens start turning up murdered, Harry remembers that each received a card with a tombstone on the front and the message "Wish you were here" on the back. Intent on protecting their human friend, Mrs. Murphy and Tucker begin to scent out clues. Meanwhile, Harry is conducting her own investigation, unaware her pets are one step ahead of her. If only Mrs. Murphy could alert her somehow, Harry could uncover the culprit before the murder occurs--and before Harry finds herself on the killer's mailing list.

I'm actually writing my second book. Fiction.

It is about the Russian SVR ( Foreign Intelligence Service ) inside the United States and the threat that they pose to our politicians. My drft is sketchy right now, but if all goes well and my research is valid......there is a political assassination that occurs.

The main antagonist goes from a hardened former Spetsnaz Soldier to a female assassin recruited from Cuban Intelligence.

Hope to have it finished by early winter. Hardest part in writing a book is research, and validating facts about locations, people, past history and other things.

I have an idea for a third book and have somewhat of a draft in my head. I might start on it this winter. My first book which is finished, and my second book....I worked on at the same time.

Powerful and mystic characters. Great locations. Broad script. Mystery and suspense. I like to keep the reader interested, and I like strong characters......so I am frequently editing my book to make it that much better ; and I keep the reader in mind......ALWAYS. So the plot is captivating in my books, and I add a few twists and turns.

Boring books is that...Boring. Authors whom turn a book out every six months or so......are worried about a paycheck. I want the readers of my books to be interested and exstatic about the third publication and cant wait to read the next one. What I type, I want them to picture it in their mind and have somewhat of a comprehension. I want them to say I am a good author.....AND KNOW I put alot of time and research in my book.

It took me about four years to finish my first one, at about 400 pages.

I have been on my current book about two years. I hope it to be about 350 to 400 pages.

Like I said, researching a book, verifying facts and doing some "Site reconnaissance" is time consuming.

It is fun......to me to write a book.

Shadow 355

It is about the Russian SVR ( Foreign Intelligence Service ) inside the United States and the threat that they pose to our politicians. My drft is sketchy right now, but if all goes well and my research is valid......there is a political assassination that occurs.

The main antagonist goes from a hardened former Spetsnaz Soldier to a female assassin recruited from Cuban Intelligence.

Hope to have it finished by early winter. Hardest part in writing a book is research, and validating facts about locations, people, past history and other things.

I have an idea for a third book and have somewhat of a draft in my head. I might start on it this winter. My first book which is finished, and my second book....I worked on at the same time.

Powerful and mystic characters. Great locations. Broad script. Mystery and suspense. I like to keep the reader interested, and I like strong characters......so I am frequently editing my book to make it that much better ; and I keep the reader in mind......ALWAYS. So the plot is captivating in my books, and I add a few twists and turns.

Boring books is that...Boring. Authors whom turn a book out every six months or so......are worried about a paycheck. I want the readers of my books to be interested and exstatic about the third publication and cant wait to read the next one. What I type, I want them to picture it in their mind and have somewhat of a comprehension. I want them to say I am a good author.....AND KNOW I put alot of time and research in my book.

I have been on my current book about two years. I hope it to be about 350 to 400 pages.

Like I said, researching a book, verifying facts and doing some "Site reconnaissance" is time consuming.

Shadow 355
Good luck with the book. :)

Joanne Fluke - The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Hannah already has her hands full trying to dodge her mother’s attempts to marry her off while running The Cookie Jar, Lake Eden’s most popular bakery. But once Ron LaSalle, the beloved delivery man from the Cozy Cow Dairy, is found murdered behind her bakery with Hannah’s famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, her life just can’t get any worse. Determined not to let her cookies get a bad reputation, she sets out to track down a killer. But if she doesn’t watch her back, Hannah’s sweet life may get burned to a crisp. - See more at: Joanne Fluke | Author of Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Joanne Fluke- Candy For Christmas
In the Novella, Hannah Swenson, owner of The Cookie Jar, discovers that someone has broken into her store. Perhaps this individual is simply sleeping there to stay warm. Whoever this individual is, they clean up before they leave. So Hannah plans, with Norman's help, to catch the intruder in the act (and they do). What unwinds is a tale of innocence and a dysfunctional family who is reunited due to Hannah's understanding and sense of fairness.

To Kill a Mockingbird - again~

The New Kids

The Immortal Irishman

Midnight in Broad Daylight

The Essential Guide to Amharic

Shadow 355
Good luck with the book. :)

Gracias.

Shadow 355

To Kill a Mockingbird - again~

The New Kids

The Immortal Irishman

Midnight in Broad Daylight

The Essential Guide to Amharic
Have you read the New Book by Harper Lee- Go Set a Watchman? I've debated about reading it but I heard it makes Atticus a racist and I would like to continue to think of Atticus as the hero To Kill A Mocking Bird made him out to be.

American Sniper -Chris Kyle

From 1999 to 2009, U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle recorded the most career sniper kills in United States military history. His fellow American warriors, whom he protected with deadly precision from rooftops and stealth positions during the Iraq War, called him “The Legend”; meanwhile, the enemy feared him so much they named him al-Shaitan (“the devil”) and placed a bounty on his head. Kyle, who was tragically killed in 2013, writes honestly about the pain of war—including the deaths of two close SEAL teammates—and in moving first-person passages throughout, his wife, Taya, speaks openly about the strains of war on their family, as well as on Chris. Gripping and unforgettable, Kyle’s masterful account of his extraordinary battlefield experiences ranks as one of the great war memoirs of all time.

From 1999 to 2009, U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle recorded the most career sniper kills in United States military history. His fellow American warriors, whom he protected with deadly precision from rooftops and stealth positions during the Iraq War, called him “The Legend”; meanwhile, the enemy feared him so much they named him al-Shaitan (“the devil”) and placed a bounty on his head. Kyle, who was tragically killed in 2013, writes honestly about the pain of war—including the deaths of two close SEAL teammates—and in moving first-person passages throughout, his wife, Taya, speaks openly about the strains of war on their family, as well as on Chris. Gripping and unforgettable, Kyle’s masterful account of his extraordinary battlefield experiences ranks as one of the great war memoirs of all time.

God Bless Chris Kyle.

But with all due respect, he is not the only one who did great things overseas. He is one of those who did great things and tried to make money off of it.

Some people act like they went to "the sand box" , and are the only person whom done great things.

Book companies are capitalizing off of American Troops coming back from the war. It is not about the story, or the truth. It is about making millions in revenue from a single person; whom done the same thing, suffered the same trials and hardships......as thousands of other troops.

I went overseas......so now I am going to be a millionaire. To keep the readers intrigued, a little bit of false events are printed. To make a certain "Troop" look like superman, or some unearthly super being ; lies are published......some of them on the coercion of the Book company.

Snipers are unique. And next to Dive School, it is one of the hardest, toughest and mentally demanding careers in the US Military.

But I have a problem. Book publishers and Authors making money off of the deceased that were killed in combat.

Kyles wife, attractive as she may be, will most likely "Play it for all it is worth" and do guest speaking on MSNBC, CNN, FOX, NRA and a host of others......to make money without ever having to labor, work a job, make an honest living.

"My husband was a SEAL Sniper....so I am special." I disagree. I feel for her loss of her husband, but Kyles wife is no better.....or worse than any other woman whom lost her husband in Combat.

I respect and thank Chris Kyle for his service, and what he accomplished is no easy task. But Chris Kyle, like other servicemen, and Special Operations troops, are not some unearthly, superhuman.....demi-god who have superpowers. And after making it though combat......it is a tragedy in the manner and location he was killed. Chris deserves respect and praise for his service and accomplishments......I have no quarrel with him. But he is not the only one that went overseas to combat and performed Heroic deeds. He is not the only Special Operations troop deployed, nor is he the only sniper that went overseas and "Eliminated" terrorists.

SEALs are SEALs - Green Berets are Green Berets - Marine Recon is Marine Recon - Air Force Special Ops is Air Force Special Ops. Marine Infantry is Marine Infantry and Army Infantry is Army Infantry. Thousands of men deemed extraordinary by testing. Thousands of men whom are trained for Direct Action, Reconnaissance and Foreign Defense ......but not all of them come home and write a book about it, some choose to be what they truly are........"Quiet Professionals."

Special Operations are Special people, I will attest. They can do things, and push themselves farther than most other humans. They are uniquely trained, so that even in the hardest of times and with the greatest oppression and against overwhelming odds.....they will complete the mission - hence they are tested and the ones whom cannot "hack" the job are "weeded out". They deserve the thanks and a salute from American people. But they put their pants on the same way I do.

Shadow 355 ( Prior Service - US Army )

Last edited:
“The Legend”; meanwhile, the enemy feared him so much they named him al-Shaitan (“the devil”) and placed a bounty on his head.

QUOTE - "White Feather, for the nickname “White Feather” given to Hathcock by the NVA."

A Vietnam War Sniper Crawled for 3 Days Across 2000m of Open Field, Killed NVA General With One Shot, Then Crawled Back

Marine Carlos Hathcock "93 Confirmed Kills" I read the book, and it is indeed good.

Hathcock also had a bounty placed on his head by the NVA.

I see similarities, and I am not claiming falsehood......or validity. I am saying that Kyles book is questionable.

If Kyle was a sniper......and we both know he was. How did the terrorists know his identity?
To prevent being captured, surrounded and caught.....and eventually tortured the bad guys are not supposed to know whom you are. IF YOU ARE surrounded and face possible capture, you bury your weapons and associated "Sniper gear" and try to escape and evade, so that if you are caught the bad guys do not know you are a sniper and you do not get tortured.....and/or killed on the spot. To the least you are not used for the bad guys.....or political propaganda.

Shadow 355

Murder On Astor Place- Victoria Thompson

As a midwife in the turn-of-the-century tenements of New York City, Sarah Brandt has seen birth and death, suffering and joy. Now she is about to take part in something more unusual in the crime-ridden streets of the teeming city - a search for justice...
Early in the first book of this series, Sarah meets Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy of the New York City Police. Frank is a typical cop of his era, a time when the police were underpaid and only investigated crimes for people who could afford to pay them a reward. Frank has ambitions of becoming a captain in the force, a position for which he must pay a substantial bribe, so he’s saving his money carefully. He doesn’t have time to waste solving the murder of a girl whose family doesn’t want the crime solved, but Sarah Brandt won’t allow him to shirk his duty. Making such a man a sympathetic character was a challenge, but I think when you read the book, you’ll understand why Frank is who he is. Both Frank and Sarah have tragedy in their pasts. Both have lost a beloved mate and both are driven to succeed. In spite of the differences in their backgrounds and social class, they come to respect each other and learn they can work well together.

“The Legend”; meanwhile, the enemy feared him so much they named him al-Shaitan (“the devil”) and placed a bounty on his head.

QUOTE - "White Feather, for the nickname “White Feather” given to Hathcock by the NVA."

A Vietnam War Sniper Crawled for 3 Days Across 2000m of Open Field, Killed NVA General With One Shot, Then Crawled Back

Marine Carlos Hathcock "93 Confirmed Kills" I read the book, and it is indeed good.

Hathcock also had a bounty placed on his head by the NVA.

I see similarities, and I am not claiming falsehood......or validity. I am saying that Kyles book is questionable.

If Kyle was a sniper......and we both know he was. How did the terrorists know his identity?
To prevent being captured, surrounded and caught.....and eventually tortured the bad guys are not supposed to know whom you are. IF YOU ARE surrounded and face possible capture, you bury your weapons and associated "Sniper gear" and try to escape and evade, so that if you are caught the bad guys do not know you are a sniper and you do not get tortured.....and/or killed on the spot. To the least you are not used for the bad guys.....or political propaganda.

Shadow 355
I expected there would be some fluff in the story.

Darkness Peering - Alice Blanchard

The dead girl lay face up on the edge of the pond, a snake coiled in the muddy hollow of one arm. For Police Chief Nalen Storrow, it was a shocking reminder of the violence he thought he'd left behind when he moved his family to Flowering Dogwood, Maine. Then, Storrow's investigation leads to a chilling possibility...the murderer might be his own son, Billy. Eighteen years later, a different cop is obsessed with the unsolved case—Rachel Storrow, Nalen's grown daughter. But no sooner does Rachel reopen the investigation than another young woman disappears. Once again Billy is a suspect—but not the only one in a town with long-buried secrets. A cunning psychopath is moving undetected through Flowering Dogwood, taking Rachel on a relentless journey of suspicion, doubt, and bone-deep fear. And nothing can prepare her—or the reader—for the staggering revelation that awaits.

Forum List

Back