What Are You Reading?

I've been doing some light reading: Earthsea series by Ursula LeGuin. It's technically juvenile fiction, but quite lovely.

Put down the last five books you've read and your favourite book of all time.

Last Five
Detroit: An Autopsy by Charlie Leduff
With the Old Breed by EB Sledge
A Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie
Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski
Evil Men by John Dawes

Favourite book of all time:
Game of Thrones (all of them so far)

I just started GOT.

When I can find the time, I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones...I have the five book set and I'm into book 3 at the moment.

I mostly read SciFi & Fantasy and I tend to read only series as stand alone stories seem incomplete.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Fiest.
Magician
Silverthorn
A Darkness at Sethanon

The Belgariad and the Mallorean by David and Linda Eddings

Belgariad:
Pawn of Prophecy
Queen of Sorcery
Magician's Gambit
Castle of Wizardry
Enchanter's Endgame

Mallorean:
Guardians of the West
King of the Murgos
Demon Lord of Karanda
Sorceress of Darshiva
Seeress of Kell

and of course, My all time favorite series

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
Lord Fouls Bane
The Ill-earth War
The Power that Preserves

and the first follow-up series

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
The Wounded Land
The One Tree
White Gold Wielder

And the last series..

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
The Runes of the Earth
Fatal Revenant
Against All Things Ending
The Last Dark

Currently, I'm enrolled in a MBA program and all My reading is textbooks.

cell-300px.jpg
Cell The Official Robin Cook Site Author of Cure and Coma

Some day, I will find GoT at a yard sale. Until then, I make do.
Reading some Victoria Holts at the moment.

I am reading two series both by David Weber. One has about 19 books in it called the Honor Series, It is science fiction and happens in the far future. It is about Empires and Naval Battles. The main character is Honor Harrington. She is a Naval Officer.

The other series has currently 7 books in it. It is the Safehold series. Again science fiction. This one also in the future, Mankind found a hostile alien race that eventually destroys all the worlds man has colonized and earth. A fleet escaped with a colony, but to avoid being found and destroyed before they are technologically able to face the alien race the Colony is to live for 6 to 8 hundred years with out technology. The Colony leaders pervert the plan and make it permanent that they will only have water muscle and animal power. The series is about an effort to return the colony to where it is supposed to be.

Both are great series. Hell I am reading them for the 3rd time in a year.

Just read Devil in a Blue Dress and Red Death by Walter Mosley.

I was out of town and looking for Rex Stout in the mystery section of a used book store. Didn't have any. So, I gave Mosley a try. His character is the unlicensed untrained detective Easy Rawlins-- a black guy living in a tough LA neighborhood post-WWII.
Like with Raymond Chandler, the Mosley books describe a time when everyone wanted to move to LA, only from the black perspective.

They were okay. Maybe a little weird at times, or awkward, but with some real sections of exquisite writing that sneak up and surprise you.

I have a lifetime collection of books, most of which I have not read. But I recently began reading them a little every day. The last five books I read were.

The God delusion by Richard Dawkins
The blind watchmaker, also by Dawkins.
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
The Tao of physics.
A brief history of time, by Steven Hawking,

I am now reading a very interesting book called ' The magic of obelisks . by Peter Tomkins. I recommend this book and you can buy it on Amazon for six pounds. Money well spent. It is very well illustrated and very well researched. It goes back to times when they took obelisks from Egypt and it gives such detailed descriptions of the scene that you would think the author hade been there himself.

Well, the title, talking of magic, does not sound too serious.
Currently, I am reading a book called Immortalis. It is a novel about the hunt for increased lifetime provided by an elixir invented somewhere in the past in the Arabic world. I am not yet ready but the book hardly allows good guys. Supplied by Saddam Hussein, al-Hakim, who lacks the formula, conducted gruesome experiments and the US is after the result of his work. An interesting book if you can ignore the roles some countries play.

The magic of obelisks is a very detailed study of the history of obelisks from the times when they were taken from Egypt. Various Roman popes had them brought from Egypt on specially made ships. It was a huge engineering accomplishment to bring an obelisk all that way and erect it. One early pope told the man responsible for erecting an obelisk in Rome that if he failed he would be beheaded. But he succeeded in erecting it in St Peters square, and received a great reward.
The book has many references to old books and I purchased one for my next read. It is called; 'True and faithful relation of what passed for many years between Dr John Dee and some spirits' originally published in 1659
I saw an original printing for sale in an auction and it sold for £2000, but I brought a scanned copy of the original text for £20 from Amazon. It will be a hard read because the type face is old style and the English is old with many different spelling for lots of words. But it is very interesting to read about Dr John Dee writing a book about spirits at a time when he could have been burnt at the stake for doing far less. But Queen Elisabeth the first took him under her wing as an advisor and protected him.

The magic of obelisks is a very detailed study of the history of obelisks from the times when they were taken from Egypt. Various Roman popes had them brought from Egypt on specially made ships. It was a huge engineering accomplishment to bring an obelisk all that way and erect it. One early pope told the man responsible for erecting an obelisk in Rome that if he failed he would be beheaded. But he succeeded in erecting it in St Peters square, and received a great reward.
The book has many references to old books and I purchased one for my next read. It is called; 'True and faithful relation of what passed for many years between Dr John Dee and some spirits' originally published in 1659
I saw an original printing for sale in an auction and it sold for £2000, but I brought a scanned copy of the original text for £20 from Amazon. It will be a hard read because the type face is old style and the English is old with many different spelling for lots of words. But it is very interesting to read about Dr John Dee writing a book about spirits at a time when he could have been burnt at the stake for doing far less. But Queen Elisabeth the first took him under her wing as an advisor and protected him.
Thanks for that Dajjal.......At present I am reading "Congo,Epic History of a People" by David Van Rebrook,a Flemish,Belgian writer published by The 4th Estate,recently.
I thought it would be the usual Colonial look at Africa...It's been quite the opposite and quite inspiring.......well worth a read.steve

Another great book on Africa,I read some years ago was "The Great White Lie" brilliant but methinks hard to get hold of these days......only know the title I'm afraid,....steve

Last edited:

Forum List

Back