What are we snacking?

Honey, coffee is my middle name! I'm on a 2 week vacation.....:cool: Getting ready to head out to get my oil changed, then to grandma's house for our Christmas Party in New Castle, Indiana.

What is famous about that town, do you know?

Famous other than the fact that it's where your Grandma hosts her famous Christmas party?

Famous other than the fact that it's where your Grandma hosts her famous Christmas party?

It has/had the USA's biggest high school gym, Chrysler Arena.

It also has the Indiana High School Basketball Hall of Fame (which my dad is in,,,,thank you very much)

It's also one of those towns that are now dying because of Chrysler closing...:(

It has/had the USA's biggest high school gym, Chrysler Arena.

It also has the Indiana High School Basketball Hall of Fame (which my dad is in,,,,thank you very much)

It's also one of those towns that are now dying because of Chrysler closing...:(

Props to your Dad!

Please let me know what grandma serves, with recipes if you deem it appropriate. Have a fun day!

Salmo salar. A different species than some Pacific Slamon

They're called Atlantic Salmon because they also live in the Atlantic and spawn in Eastern Rivers.

They don't have to live in saltwater.

Some are entirely landlocked and live in lakes.

I caught one that was migrating up one of our creeks a few years back.

Pretty fish, they are.

Ah, thanks for that - I really had no idea.

My wife found some really good scottish smoked salmon at Costco. I'm also a big fan of dips - Taramasalata being a particular favorite.

Can't find any paté though. Nothing better for the spirit (if not the arteries) than some paté and French bread. And wine of course. Wine with everything (except cereal).

My sister has the recipe for the best liver pate you've ever had...if you like liver.

I think it's something like 3 lbs of chicken livers, cooked in a lot of wine with a LOT of mushrooms...can't remember if there's any onion in it or not, probably a little garlic...

simmer for a long time and then into the food processor, dumped into a buttered container (she has a cool rectangular china or porceline one with a lid). I can eat it by the cupfull. We usually eat it with water crackers, but any cracker will work.

Then she makes a salmon spread, I've made it but don't remember the recipe.

Also chips with clam dip....cans of minced clam with juice, lotsa lemon, worsterchire sauce, and cream cheese. Yum.

Spice cake mix with a can of pumpkin, a box of instant vanilla pudding in it, and cream cheese frosting, either made as cupcakes or as a cake, very good.

Smoked salmon...I usually get it from friends but I'll buy it, too.

Blue cheese and french bread.

Beef (or venison or elk) stick and Genoa salami.....

All examples of stuff we like to eat around the holidays.

But this year it's mostly me and the babies and I can't eat anything except soft food because of new braces. We've been feasting on top ramen noodles, gravy and Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Props to your Dad!

Please let me know what grandma serves, with recipes if you deem it appropriate. Have a fun day!

Oh man, she had the BEST spinach dip....she's emailing me the recipe, I had to get home before dark. And the queso was to die for, and some cookies called "Sinful Delights" or something like that...........mmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh man, she had the BEST spinach dip....she's emailing me the recipe, I had to get home before dark. And the queso was to die for, and some cookies called "Sinful Delights" or something like that...........mmmmmmmmmmmm
love spinach dip along with spinach artichoke dip! mmmmmmmmmmmm
I can't wait until Christmas to eat all the good food!

Oh..and fudge.

And somebody brought some killer little goodies..I don't know what it was. It was sort of like coffee flavored fudge, only it was a dough, not candy...with really soft cream cheese frosting on it.

Yum.

Sort of makes me want to cook..except in order to do that I'd have to wash dishes and I've pretty much quit washing dishes for the winter. My water froze and they piled up and I just haven't had the spirit to tackle them. I do a few...then leave the rest...then dirty a few, do a few....I can't seem to get on top of it.

Nuts.

Really, half a small packet of nuts. I know, "how prosaic" of me.

Nobby's nuts, as in "nibble Nobby's nuts".

Nobby's - The Smith's Snackfood Company

Nobby's Nuts were founded by Max "Nobby" Noblet, who started with a one-man business, manufacturing and selling nuts around central Adelaide in the 1950s. The product was so successful that the business quickly expanded and was purchased in 1983 by APD Snack Foods (The Smith's Snackfood Company). Queensland, the centre of Australia's peanut growing industry, is now the manufacturing site for all Nobby's Nuts. Over the years, Nobby's has developed a strong identity as a quality product recognised for its freshness and taste. All Nobby's Nuts are premium grade nuts and are packaged in special packaging material that helps us maintain this level of quality.

Advertising "Nibble Nobby's Nuts" is the slogan invented by Max Noblet over 40 years ago and still is an important part of the brand’s
heritage.

He was a clever little bugger :lol:

Anyhoo, here is the Spinach Dip Recipe if anyone is interested. I tell you, it WAS the BEST SD I'd ever tasted!

1 10-oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach
1 cup sour cream
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon dried parsley or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pkg. Knorr Leek Soup Mix

Thaw and drain spinach. Mix with remaining ingredients. Chill overnight. Serve with Hawaiian bread or crackers.

Anyhoo, here is the Spinach Dip Recipe if anyone is interested. I tell you, it WAS the BEST SD I'd ever tasted!

1 10-oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach
1 cup sour cream
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon dried parsley or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pkg. Knorr Leek Soup Mix

Thaw and drain spinach. Mix with remaining ingredients. Chill overnight. Serve with Hawaiian bread or crackers.

Thanks for the recipe, EZ! Sounds great.

My sister has the recipe for the best liver pate you've ever had...if you like liver.

I think it's something like 3 lbs of chicken livers, cooked in a lot of wine with a LOT of mushrooms...can't remember if there's any onion in it or not, probably a little garlic...

simmer for a long time and then into the food processor, dumped into a buttered container (she has a cool rectangular china or porceline one with a lid). I can eat it by the cupfull. We usually eat it with water crackers, but any cracker will work.

Then she makes a salmon spread, I've made it but don't remember the recipe.

Also chips with clam dip....cans of minced clam with juice, lotsa lemon, worsterchire sauce, and cream cheese. Yum.

Spice cake mix with a can of pumpkin, a box of instant vanilla pudding in it, and cream cheese frosting, either made as cupcakes or as a cake, very good.

Smoked salmon...I usually get it from friends but I'll buy it, too.

Blue cheese and french bread.

Beef (or venison or elk) stick and Genoa salami.....

All examples of stuff we like to eat around the holidays.

But this year it's mostly me and the babies and I can't eat anything except soft food because of new braces. We've been feasting on top ramen noodles, gravy and Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Just cut and pasted your chicken liver pate recipe and my wife is going to have a go at it tomorrow. Let me know if it needs updating / adjusting.

Thanks.

I'll take the dip recipe, and if you have a chance to post the "Sinful delights" sound good too....

What my mother in law describes as 'Weenie Roll-Ups'

Take 1 can of Pillsbury crescent rolls. Spread the dough flat and cut each piece of dough into a smaller triangle.

Get some small smoky link sausages, split them lengthways down the middle and stuff each with a fat slice of mature cheddar. Roll each one in a dough triangle, pinching the edges closed, and pop into the over for however long it says on the Pillsbury can. Simple!

Perfect little cheesy pigs in blankets. Slightly sweet dough, tangy cheddar and lovely smokey sausage. Every time the family get together (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas...) we always have these and they always disappear within 5 minutes. The dog has not yet managed to get a single one!

Forum List

Back