What are we snacking?

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by tigerbob, Dec 21, 2008.

1. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Since Christmas is the traditional time for snacking on really cool stuff that you don't normally have, I thought I'd start a thread to try and track what people are feasting on over the holiday period. Not stuff you're serving at the dinner table. The stuff in between meals that definitely falls into the snack / comfort food / luxing out category.

We had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for a light brunch earlier, yum yum. Now, mid afternoon and unable to distract ourselves by watching the Lions set their awesome 0-15 record (it's blacked out locally due to not being sold out - go figure), we're hungry again. So my wife has gone to the cool little local market instead of the usual big supermarket, while I got the fire going. So now, while the kids are playing computer games, we are about to tuck into a nice Cabernet, stilton, brie, hard French salami, with crackers and French Bread.

Merry Christmas everybody.

2. ModernLogic

ModernLogic Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hummus and pita bread; ideal for someone who is too busy to cook, too poor to eat out and cares somewhat about their health.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Usually some water crackers (no, that's not a racial attack) and a dip - my favourite at the moment is a grilled eggplant (sort of reminiscent of melitsana) with cashew nuts and parmesan. I like it with a nice glass of local chardonnay.

I'm a big fan of smoked salmon as well, we're lucky here in that we can get really nice local ("Atlantic" - no, I don't know why, it's just what they're called) salmon and sometimes Tasmanian "Atlantic" salmon. I know the good folks from British Columbia will have a word to say about salmon (I never knew there were so many varieties) but what I get here is fine with me. At least it isn't "dog salmon" :lol:

Hummus/hommus and pita is good to, I love Greek dips with pita - okay I love Lebanese and Middle Eastern dips with pita as well (baba ghanoush is a biggie for me)...and that brings me back nicely to where I started, eggplant/aubergine.

4. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    We always have roasted chestnuts, then there is this shrimp dish my aunt makes with cocktail sauce and cream cheese. The best also is whiskey with egg nog!

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    o geezes...nothing that fancy.. i did make a pineapple upside cake does that count

due to the kidlets be out and about...only bio son will be home...so we will wait for the major dinner till they all are here....and we can buy fireworks at 1/2 price...lol...it will be after the new year...

lots of chocolate wherever you go right now....boxes and boxes of it....

6. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,824
    I love persimmons this time of year. Now that's a fruit with a lot of flesh.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Salmo salar. A different species than some Pacific Slamon

They're called Atlantic Salmon because they also live in the Atlantic and spawn in Eastern Rivers.

They don't have to live in saltwater.

Some are entirely landlocked and live in lakes.

I caught one that was migrating up one of our creeks a few years back.

Pretty fish, they are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    My Secret Santa made me homemade fudge. To die for.

Humus with Pita Chips.

Jalapeno Cream Cheese Spread with Wheat Crackers.

Fried Jalapenos and Fried Mozz- I know, so bad for you, that's why it's a treat!

7 Layer Dip-the refried beans, salsa, sour cream, cheese, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, Mexican seasoning, with tort chips.

Quesadillas

Chili Con Queso

Of course, my medium hot sauce to go on almost everything...we like it spicy in our house!

9. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Hummus and pita is always good. I do care about my health for the other 52 weeks of the year, but right now sense and discretion have gone out the window and landed in a 3ft snow drift.

10. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    My wife found some really good scottish smoked salmon at Costco. I'm also a big fan of dips - Taramasalata being a particular favorite.

Can't find any paté though. Nothing better for the spirit (if not the arteries) than some paté and French bread. And wine of course. Wine with everything (except cereal).