What are the odds?

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
If I take two AA batteries out of my flash, and two more just like them from another place and mix them up, and then charge them, what are the odds of putting the same two back in the flash?

If I take two AA batteries out of my flash, and two more just like them from another place and mix them up, and then charge them, what are the odds of putting the same two back in the flash?

23481.gif

Just a guess, 1 in 8. I am NOT doing this right now. :desk:

Assuming random draws, 1 in 6.

The first battery you "draw" has a 2 in 4 chance of being one of the original batteries.

If you succeed in that, the second battery has a 1 in 3 chance of being the other original battery.

1/2 * 1/3 = 1/6

No clue.
There are only three possible combinations, but 1 in 3 sounds way too low.

23481.gif

Wouldn't there be an exponential factor?

You wanna figure it out? Write out a b c d, put together every possible combination and see how many = A+B together.

A+B= 1st 2 batteries.

• Banned
Assuming random draws, 1 in 6.

The first battery you "draw" has a 2 in 4 chance of being one of the original batteries.

If you succeed in that, the second battery has a 1 in 3 chance of being the other original battery.

1/2 * 1/3 = 1/6
But what if the same two are picked together? either with the first two picks, the second two picks, the second and third pick, or the 3rd and 4th pick?

23481.gif

You wanna figure it out? Write out a b c d, put together every possible combination and see how many = A+B together.

A+B= 1st 2 batteries.
I drew it. But since A+B = B+A, does that factor into it?

23481.gif

A+B= 1st 2 batteries.
I drew it. But since A+B = B+A, does that factor into it?

Yes!

This whole shit storm is turning racist!

But what if the same two are picked together? either with the first two picks, the second two picks, the second and third pick, or the 3rd and 4th pick?

The first and a second picks are all that matter, so they're the only ones used to calculate the odds.
Yeah, I should have realized that. Why keep picking once I have two? I must really be a rube like you say!

Forum List

Back