VW in Panic?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
VW recently announced an unprecedented new car warranty: 6 years, 72,000 miles, bumper-to-bumper, TRANSFERRABLE!

No one has ever done this before. The Korean twins offer 100,000 miles on their power trains, but this new VW plan is huge news.

Typically, something like this is a reaction to plummeting sales and fear of things actually getting worse. Maybe the year of bad press about VW's Diesel shenanigans is have its effect.

But regardless, they make pretty good cars, and with a warranty like this, taking all anxiety out of ownership for six whole years, you have to give them a look. Their bad news could be your good news, eh?

VW recently announced an unprecedented new car warranty: 6 years, 72,000 miles, bumper-to-bumper, TRANSFERRABLE!

No one has ever done this before. The Korean twins offer 100,000 miles on their power trains, but this new VW plan is huge news.

Typically, something like this is a reaction to plummeting sales and fear of things actually getting worse. Maybe the year of bad press about VW's Diesel shenanigans is have its effect.

But regardless, they make pretty good cars, and with a warranty like this, taking all anxiety out of ownership for six whole years, you have to give them a look. Their bad news could be your good news, eh?
Of course, like what GM did before their bailout, was to promise everything then go bankrupt. Once that happened, all warranties were worthless along with the stock that the investors had. I for one would never buy GM ever again, or VW, who used liberal means to make big bucks, but got caught and now using slick methods once again. A fool and his money are soon parted...
The people have spoken..

vw%20sept%2021.png

From what I have read, the new car buying cycle has been pushed at least a few years forward thru big manufacturers discounts and low or no interest rate financing. That does not bode well for sales going forward. At some point things will have to reset. I was thinking of replacing my F150 recently. It was cheaper to buy a brand new one ( MSRP $45k less discounts $14k = $31k) than an equally equipped truck 2 years old.

/----/ I always had a soft spot for VW and my first car was a Karmann Ghia. But at $33k for the CC, I bought a Volvo instead.

Almost enough to make me want to buy a German car ... almost.

From what I have read, the new car buying cycle has been pushed at least a few years forward thru big manufacturers discounts and low or no interest rate financing. That does not bode well for sales going forward. At some point things will have to reset. I was thinking of replacing my F150 recently. It was cheaper to buy a brand new one ( MSRP $45k less discounts $14k = $31k) than an equally equipped truck 2 years old.
I went with a fully loaded Toyota Highlander Hybrid, because I needed to have the extra room for future grandkids, but also keep the fuel economy of the hybrid when gasoline starts to go up again. Toyota has been a solid performer in the automotive sector, with burps every once in a while.

People want 25K for trucks with 150k miles, it's crazy

Unless you know something that no one else knows, Andy, GM NEVER refused warranty service due to the bankruptcy. To do so would have been suicidal. Legally, they could have refused warranty service, but they never actually did it.

Price of trucks is insane. I worked over the Summer for an auto auction, and, as said above, big trucks with 4 doors and 4WD were commanding ridiculous prices, regardless of miles.

Of course, trucks are made to last longer, so truck miles are not as relevant as miles on a passenger car. But still...

Forum List

Back