Whale dies with stomach full of plastic, trash

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray whale dies bringing us a message ? with stomach full of plastic trash | The Mind Unleashed

July 29, 2013, a sperm whale was stranded on Tershelling, a northern island in the Netherlands. There was a rescue attempt, but unfortunately the whale died. A young adult at 13.5 meters was taken for a necropsy at the port of Harlington. The sperm whale had plastic in its stomach, an increasing common phenomenon say researchers at the Biodiversity Centre Naturalis. In March of last year, a 10 meter long sperm whale washed up on Spain’s South Coast. This whale had swallowed 59 different plastic items totaling over 37 pounds. Most of this plastic consisted of transparent sheeting used to build greenhouses in Almeria and Grenada for the purpose of tomatoes for the European market. The rest was plastic bags, nine meters of rope, two stretches of hosepipe, two small flower pots, and a plastic spray canister. Cause of death was intestinal blockage.

These are not uncommon incidents. In 1989, a stranded sperm whale in the Lavezzi Islands in the Tyrrhenian Sea died of a stomach obstruction after accidentally ingesting plastic bags and 100 feet of plastic sheeting. In 1990, a sperm whale examined for pathology in Iceland died of an obstruction of the gut with plastic marine debris. In August of 2008, a sperm whale washed up in Point Reyes, California with 450 pounds of fishing net, rope, and plastic bags in its stomach. The California Marine Mammal Stranding Database tells of another sperm whale stranded in 2008 with stomach contents that included an extensive amount of netting from discarded fishing gear.

scientists.jpeg

Gray whale dies bringing us a message ? with stomach full of plastic trash | The Mind Unleashed

July 29, 2013, a sperm whale was stranded on Tershelling, a northern island in the Netherlands. There was a rescue attempt, but unfortunately the whale died. A young adult at 13.5 meters was taken for a necropsy at the port of Harlington. The sperm whale had plastic in its stomach, an increasing common phenomenon say researchers at the Biodiversity Centre Naturalis. In March of last year, a 10 meter long sperm whale washed up on Spain’s South Coast. This whale had swallowed 59 different plastic items totaling over 37 pounds. Most of this plastic consisted of transparent sheeting used to build greenhouses in Almeria and Grenada for the purpose of tomatoes for the European market. The rest was plastic bags, nine meters of rope, two stretches of hosepipe, two small flower pots, and a plastic spray canister. Cause of death was intestinal blockage.

These are not uncommon incidents. In 1989, a stranded sperm whale in the Lavezzi Islands in the Tyrrhenian Sea died of a stomach obstruction after accidentally ingesting plastic bags and 100 feet of plastic sheeting. In 1990, a sperm whale examined for pathology in Iceland died of an obstruction of the gut with plastic marine debris. In August of 2008, a sperm whale washed up in Point Reyes, California with 450 pounds of fishing net, rope, and plastic bags in its stomach. The California Marine Mammal Stranding Database tells of another sperm whale stranded in 2008 with stomach contents that included an extensive amount of netting from discarded fishing gear.

scientists.jpeg

That is so sickening. Whales live for well over a hundred years and to have random plastic in our oceans that can shorten their lives like that is criminal.

Someone explain how banning plastic bags in California will keep a whale from ingesting plastic sheeting from Grenada?

Animals die from eating things they aren't supposed to all the time. Animals in the wild die all the time and generally have shorter life spans than animals in captivity.

Most of this plastic consisted of transparent sheeting used to build greenhouses in Almeria and Grenada for the purpose of tomatoes for the European market. ...Cause of death was intestinal blockage.[/B]
[/B]

scientists.jpeg

There's a point to this idiot's thread:

1. Europeans should stop buying tomatos from Almeria and Grenada.

:eusa_clap:

Another Luddly Masterpiece.

scientists.jpeg

That is so sickening. Whales live for well over a hundred years and to have random plastic in our oceans that can shorten their lives like that is criminal.

You should stop buying plastic.

:eusa_whistle:

scientists.jpeg

Christians would say it's gods will. Don't bother cleaning up the ocean or worrying about co2/carbon or global warming because the end days are coming soon. Finally the other animals on this planet will get some piece. Come on jesus hurry up! The other animals on this planet can't take your creation much longer. Flood the earth again only this time don't tell anyone. Last time the inbred Noah clan repopulated the earth with a new bunch of assholes.

Oh and God, please make more people gay so we don't continue overpopulating the planet. THAT'S IT! God made gays so we'd stop reproducing so rapidly. It's god's will! God just told me Gismys!!! Now I can start writing in all caps THE LORD SAID...

Someone explain how banning plastic bags in California will keep a whale from ingesting plastic sheeting from Grenada?

Those plastic bags end up in my creek.

Are you volunteering to come clean them up after every storm that washes them in?

if not, can you tell me who I'm supposed to file a lawsuit against (lawsuits being the libertarian solution that supposedly solves all problems), so that I can be compensated for my damages?

Animals die from eating things they aren't supposed to all the time. Animals in the wild die all the time and generally have shorter life spans than animals in captivity.

It all adds up.

Christians would say it's gods will. Don't bother cleaning up the ocean or worrying about co2/carbon or global warming because the end days are coming soon. Finally the other animals on this planet will get some piece. Come on jesus hurry up! The other animals on this planet can't take your creation much longer. Flood the earth again only this time don't tell anyone. Last time the inbred Noah clan repopulated the earth with a new bunch of assholes.

They say that then turn & cry about great grandchildren debt burden after they blew all the money.

Are you volunteering to come clean them up after every storm that washes them in?

if not, can you tell me who I'm supposed to file a lawsuit against (lawsuits being the libertarian solution that supposedly solves all problems), so that I can be compensated for my damages?

Your "Creek?"

The libertarian solution would be to allow YOU to clean YOUR Creek.

Get your ass in gear.

Your "Creek?"

Get your ass in gear.

The Libertarian way would be someone owns that creek. The public doesn't own anything. They think if no one owns it, no one cares about it. But if someone owns it, they'll care about and take care of it.

Only problem is the land owner doesn't care about the land as much as We The People do and if he's rich enough to own all that land, he probably has a corporation and he would love to store hazerdous waste on HIS property and as a libertarian society the only way to deal with him IF we ever find out that he's doing something like that is to not buy his products. :cuckoo:

You see, the free market will solve everything. :eusa_liar:

Your "Creek?"

Get your ass in gear.

I'll even donate a large plastic garbage bag or two for you to throw all the trash in to.

Your "Creek?"

Get your ass in gear.

The Libertarian way would be someone owns that creek. The public doesn't own anything. They think if no one owns it, no one cares about it. But if someone owns it, they'll care about and take care of it.

Only problem is the land owner doesn't care about the land as much as We The People do and if he's rich enough to own all that land, he probably has a corporation and he would love to store hazerdous waste on HIS property and as a libertarian society the only way to deal with him IF we ever find out that he's doing something like that is to not buy his products. :cuckoo:

???? What if a community of people owns something?
[MENTION=11281]sealybobo[/MENTION]: You act like this is "either/or" ? Why???

If a group of people or a district form an LLC to own and manage a school campus,
combining houses, business, education, and social services to serve their district,
then you can have BOTH
* free market and individual responsibility
* collective ownership and shared responsibility
direct and indirect representation as a group

The group can only get so large as the chain of responsibility still allows for
accountable and "redress of grievances" so there is due process and representation.

If larger groups can manage larger districts of people and resources, go for it!

But if you cannot handle more, without "corporate abuses" of power and politics getting in the way, then stay smaller, at the level of management where accountability to the people represented is still protected.

No, that's the liberal solution, simply expending my labor to clean up the environmental damage that somebody else caused. Because shit happens. I'd rather just kick back, but grownups ... that is, the liberals ... know that sometimes, you just don't get to do what you want.

However, libertarians see it differently. My property is being damaged by the actions of others. According to the libertarians and the rules of the libertarian utopia, I can stop that damage from happening if I sue those responsible. Hence, I'm asking who I'm supposed to sue over the plastic bags littering my land.

The point? Libertarian policy fails completely at controlling pollution from diffuse sources, where there's no specific entity to sue. Hence, government needs to step in. And the libertarians don't have the honesty to address that obvious failure of their utopian system.

You should stop buying plastic.

:eusa_whistle:

Why should I do that, asshole? I dispose of plastics properly, ever heard of recycling? Solutions don't always have to be so drastic.

Your "Creek?"

Get your ass in gear.

???? What if a community of people owns something?
[MENTION=11281]sealybobo[/MENTION]: You act like this is "either/or" ? Why???

If a group of people or a district form an LLC to own and manage a school campus,
combining houses, business, education, and social services to serve their district,
then you can have BOTH
* free market and individual responsibility
* collective ownership and shared responsibility
direct and indirect representation as a group

The group can only get so large as the chain of responsibility still allows for
accountable and "redress of grievances" so there is due process and representation.

If larger groups can manage larger districts of people and resources, go for it!

But if you cannot handle more, without "corporate abuses" of power and politics getting in the way, then stay smaller, at the level of management where accountability to the people represented is still protected.

If you are talking Charter Schools so far I'm not liking what I see as far as the quality of staff or education but.... I have to say in the inner city (detroit) the kids are sure better behaved and safer than they are/were in the public schools.

But bottom line is charter schools may be a good idea in areas where things are really messed up. But they won't stop there. Eventually every school will be private in your perfect world and then the corporations will start cutting back on costs that they didn't cut back on when they were trying to impress us but then all of the sudden they have low unappreciated staff, they cut back on the sports and arts, etc.

Just like the prisons. The corporations show us how with them we'll save money, but for how long? And they don't take the sick inmates. Next thing they will want to work the prisoners and then they won't want to rehabilitate or let people out because more inmates means more profits.

Some things shouldn't be privatized. Not sure this is what you were talking about but this is my reply. Ron Paul's an ass.

Forum List

Back