Westboro Baptist Church to picket Arizona funerals

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Westboro Baptist Church, founded by its spiritual leader, Fred Phelps, and run mostly by family members, did not respond to a request for an interview in time for this article. But a flier released by the church about the picket targets the Roman Catholic Church because Christina and her family were members.

Maybe this thread will get moved too, and I don't know if it belongs in the "Politics" area, but these fuckers from Westboro Baptist Church disgust me, and I am VERY thankful to hear that they will be met by these "angels".

Funeral pickets to be met by 'angels' - CNN.com

I wish there was a law that would state a funeral is a sacred event and cannot be interfered with hateful speech or picketing. Put those deranged individuals in jail.

I dont know what's worse. These guys or those using these murders to attack their political opponents.

They are going to picket b/c she and the family are catholic?

ya know, I have to admire the restraint of Americans. These loons have suffered no personal violence, and it they ever did, no one would be angry at the person that hurt these vile people.

*sigh*

This is the wart of free speech that must be tolerated.

Perhaps a nice counter protest by a group of gay Chip n' Dale dancers blowing bubbles and throwing flower peddles at the Westboro freaks? :eusa_think:

Dear Westboro Babtist Church,

inside.jpg

Sincerely,
The American people

p.s. :fu:

Hmm, if they try to go toe-to-toe with the Catholic Church, that is going to be a hilarious battle. They might last half of Round 1, considering the Catholics have been around for quite a long time, and had a large hand in politics.

Honestly, I am wondering when a group is going to wipe the Westboro Church out, not like we don't have enough people who hate them, just takes a small group of people who hate them enough to destroy them.

Do they still have tax exmept status?
I expect that they do as no politician has the balls to take on a church.

Being an atheist has it's disadvantages. I cannot enjoy the thoughts of the Westboro bunch burning in hell for all eternity.

I expect that they do an no politician has the balls to take on a church.

Well, I think the only way to really combat the Westboro Baptist Church, is for one, to get the SBC and other Baptist groups, to turn on them and start a battle. I am currently under a church in the SBC, and we have discussed Westboro and believe me, these people have no love for them. They don't support killing them or anything, but their not exactly 'fellow' baptists. Matter fact, I am pretty sure their not a member of any Baptist organization, and never have been. Of course, the word Baptist isn't universally copyrighted.

I think more then a politician, is someone who is willing to just say enough is enough. I think we'd be better off getting a mass of judges, and lawyers, and forming some sort of coalition against them. Although, at this present day and time, I'm more worried about the economy and the future of energy in America then these...cock-a-roaches. (Yes, wish I had the Tony Montana voice at that moment) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqJPoPMP2A&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
I expect that they do as no politician has the balls to take on a church.

Being an atheist has it's disadvantages. I cannot enjoy the thoughts of the Westboro bunch burning in hell for all eternity.

I thought the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Come on go for it!

Well, at least one justice has more than the sense God gave a rock...
:redface:
Dissenting Justice: Westboro Ruling Goes Too Far
Mar 2, 2011 – Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito Jr. was the lone dissenter in Snyder v. Phelps.
Where should the nation draw the line on free speech? For Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, the defense of First Amendment rights expressed by today's majority ruling in the Westboro Baptist Church case goes too far. The 8-1 decision found that the fringe church's hate-filled picketing at the funeral of a Marine corporal killed in Iraq qualified as public discourse protected by the First Amendment. Church members claim soldiers' deaths are God's punishment for U.S. tolerance of homosexuality.

However hurtful and abhorrent, the church members' railings against "dead soldiers," gays, the Catholic Church and the nation as a whole addressed public matters, the ruling found. And to allow Albert Snyder, father of slain Marine Matthew Snyder, to sue them for intentional infliction of emotional distress would open the door to the stifling of public debate, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority. But in staking out his lone dissent, Alito suggested that when publicly offensive speech is also -- and perhaps primarily -- personally painful, the Constitution doesn't protect it.

"Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," Alito wrote. "Mr. Snyder wanted what is surely the right of any parent who experiences such an incalculable loss: to bury his son in peace," he added. "But respondents, members of the Westboro Baptist Church, deprived him of that elementary right." Alito's thinking in Snyder v. Phelps breaks from the majority, including Roberts and other conservatives usually among his allies, on several finer legal points.

But the dissent stands out most because it's one of the most fully developed expressions of Alito's own First Amendment views in his five years on the high court, and because he tackles what the justices have long referred to as the slippery slope of restraining political speech. "If you start defining and banning offensive speech because someone doesn't like it, it's hard to draw the line, and one day you wake up and find you don't have much protected speech," said Stephen Wermiel, associate director of the Summer Institute on Law and Government at the American University Washington College of Law.

MORE

Forum List

Back