Wendy Williams and her sober house living.................

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Just the other day, Wendy Williams came out on her show and confessed to the nation that she was currently in recovery and living in a sober house with a sober companion following her around 24/7.

Wendy Williams reveals she's been staying in a sober home, battling addiction

Now, while I applaud her trying to get her life together and get help, I definitely don't like the way she is going about it. One of the 12 traditions of AA says that members "must always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.".

The last 8 years I was in the Navy, I was a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor, and because of that billet and training, I learned quite a bit about AA and how it operates. I asked one of the members once why that was. He then gave me a couple of books to read, "AA Comes of Age", and "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions", the first was a history of AA, and the second explained the steps and traditions, as well as the reason for each.

Well, it seems that in the early days of AA, there were some famous people who were getting sober, and they wanted to advertise how much AA had done for them. Dr. Bob and Bill W. thought about it, and decided against it. Why? Because if people are advertising on the radio, television or in the papers about it and how good they are doing, what happens if they have a relapse? Then, all the people who were thinking the program works would have second thoughts if they saw someone famous have a relapse.

Nope. Sorry, on this I think Mrs. Williams is totally wrong. Advertising her living in a sober house is a great way to garner sympathy, but if she relapses, it's gonna make the organization that is currently helping her look bad.

It looked like attention garnering to me. Not impressed.

Attention garnering (or as I call it, whoring), is precisely what she was going for. She's feeling a bit put out that she's staying in that place, and she's looking to have people tell her how great she's doing.

Sadly....................that is one of the main ways to relapse. If a person is bragging to everyone and their cousin about their "courageous struggle", they are well on the road to relapse, because they are looking for people outside of themselves to validate them, not working on fixing their problems themselves.

Just the other day, Wendy Williams came out on her show and confessed to the nation that she was currently in recovery and living in a sober house with a sober companion following her around 24/7.

Now, while I applaud her trying to get her life together and get help, I definitely don't like the way she is going about it. One of the 12 traditions of AA says that members "must always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.".

The last 8 years I was in the Navy, I was a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor, and because of that billet and training, I learned quite a bit about AA and how it operates. I asked one of the members once why that was. He then gave me a couple of books to read, "AA Comes of Age", and "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions", the first was a history of AA, and the second explained the steps and traditions, as well as the reason for each.

Well, it seems that in the early days of AA, there were some famous people who were getting sober, and they wanted to advertise how much AA had done for them. Dr. Bob and Bill W. thought about it, and decided against it. Why? Because if people are advertising on the radio, television or in the papers about it and how good they are doing, what happens if they have a relapse? Then, all the people who were thinking the program works would have second thoughts if they saw someone famous have a relapse.

Nope. Sorry, on this I think Mrs. Williams is totally wrong. Advertising her living in a sober house is a great way to garner sympathy, but if she relapses, it's gonna make the organization that is currently helping her look bad.

I dont read in your link where she mentions, AA/NA/CA , like that one T.V. series , with that girl from scream they never mention AA

I dont read in your link where she mentions, AA/NA/CA , like that one T.V. series , with that girl from scream they never mention AA

In various interviews I've seen, she talks about living in the sober house, going to AA meetings, and the only time she is away from meetings or the sober house is only when she goes to do her television show.

And, she has done several mentions for the program that is currently helping her.

Wendy Williams reveals she's been living in a sober house, seeking treatment for addiction

“You know me for being a very open and honest person. You know Kevin and I have the Hunter Foundation for the good of the people and we recently launched out 888-HUNTER number for people who are in the struggle of addiction. Well, for some time now, and even today and beyond, I have been living in a sober house,” a weeping Williams, 54, told her studio audience.

"When you see me come to work glammed up, right after the show, I do Pilates ... You know I’ve had a struggle with cocaine in the past," she said. "I never went to a place to get treatment. I don't know how. God was just sitting on my shoulder and I just stopped … there are people in your family, it might be you … I want you to know more of the story.”

Forum List

Back