Well.. Old DD is biting the bullet, taking the plunge....

Thats cool man, congratulations. I also think its good you knew her back from your Military days, you already have alot to talk about.

Yep... none of the "getting to know you" phase....

Exactly, I got a divorce after 5 years and I always wondered about some of the women that I served with, I had the pleasure of serving with some very beautiful girls in the Air Force.

Well.. all the plans and preparations are done and paid for... Next Friday evening is when I pop the question... stretch limo pickup at her work... 12 dozen roses in the back... champagne... night out driving around on the town... ring with a rock the size of a small town...

Anxious and excited

Well.. all the plans and preparations are done and paid for... Next Friday evening is when I pop the question... stretch limo pickup at her work... 12 dozen roses in the back... champagne... night out driving around on the town... ring with a rock the size of a small town...

Anxious and excited

Sounds awesome.:clap2:

Well... it is official... I am engaged to be hitched...

Went great... though it almost didn't

Went to work, getting a lot done after showing up early.... my boss, who is also a good long time friend, told me to get out a bit early to get everything together that was needed.... my fiancee catches a bus for work at 12:30 to get to downtown DC by 1:30.... well, at about 12:45 I get a call with her crying.. she missed all the transportation and was gonna have to drive in.... thus she would have to take her keys which she usually leaves locked in her car in the glove compartment so I can unlock her car to get them and go into her apartment complex (her apartment only issues 1 set of keys to each person on the lease).... I just so happened to be heading her way to go to her apartment to get everything set up.... luckily I had broken equipment in the car so when I showed up to be the hero to drive her to work, she had no clue that I had something else in the works.... and she did not drive her car in that would have been left in a downtown garage overnight since I had the limo coming for us

After getting her to work, I picked up the 5 dozen roses... got my suit all ready, checked with the limo company, cleaned up the apartment, cleaned up and made myself as good looking as I possibly can (no small feat).... The limo came at 9PM and I got everything situated... wine, roses, ring, and showed the driver how to use the camera to catch every part of the moment for us.... The limo parks at the beginning of the block.... as she's exiting the building I texted her to go to the right and look for me... she's looking around and is confused... she can't see my car which she was looking for... I started walking up the sidewalk, flowers and ring in hand and dressed to the 9's in my suit... she don't recognize me... I call for her and she's looking all around... when she does recognize that it is me, she is even more confused and even asks what I am doing in a suit.... when I get closer to her and hand her the flowers, and get down on my knee, it finally hits her.... it went from "what are you doing" to her hand over her mouth with a combination of smile and tears... she gets a look at the ring and she's almost to the point of passing out... hyperventilating.... she grabs me and squeezes me to the point where I almost pass out... and after all of that, she is still wondering where my car is, even with the limo right next to me.... LOL...

A bit more to the story beyond that.... but most of that is all the mushy stuff.... all I can say is, it went well... and I'm a happy guy

Awwwwwww!! I'm so glad it all went as planned and that she was totally and completely surprised. That's a rarity these days. Congrats and all the very, very best to you two!

Well... it is official... I am engaged to be hitched...

Went great... though it almost didn't

Went to work, getting a lot done after showing up early.... my boss, who is also a good long time friend, told me to get out a bit early to get everything together that was needed.... my fiancee catches a bus for work at 12:30 to get to downtown DC by 1:30.... well, at about 12:45 I get a call with her crying.. she missed all the transportation and was gonna have to drive in.... thus she would have to take her keys which she usually leaves locked in her car in the glove compartment so I can unlock her car to get them and go into her apartment complex (her apartment only issues 1 set of keys to each person on the lease).... I just so happened to be heading her way to go to her apartment to get everything set up.... luckily I had broken equipment in the car so when I showed up to be the hero to drive her to work, she had no clue that I had something else in the works.... and she did not drive her car in that would have been left in a downtown garage overnight since I had the limo coming for us

After getting her to work, I picked up the 5 dozen roses... got my suit all ready, checked with the limo company, cleaned up the apartment, cleaned up and made myself as good looking as I possibly can (no small feat).... The limo came at 9PM and I got everything situated... wine, roses, ring, and showed the driver how to use the camera to catch every part of the moment for us.... The limo parks at the beginning of the block.... as she's exiting the building I texted her to go to the right and look for me... she's looking around and is confused... she can't see my car which she was looking for... I started walking up the sidewalk, flowers and ring in hand and dressed to the 9's in my suit... she don't recognize me... I call for her and she's looking all around... when she does recognize that it is me, she is even more confused and even asks what I am doing in a suit.... when I get closer to her and hand her the flowers, and get down on my knee, it finally hits her.... it went from "what are you doing" to her hand over her mouth with a combination of smile and tears... she gets a look at the ring and she's almost to the point of passing out... hyperventilating.... she grabs me and squeezes me to the point where I almost pass out... and after all of that, she is still wondering where my car is, even with the limo right next to me.... LOL...

A bit more to the story beyond that.... but most of that is all the mushy stuff.... all I can say is, it went well... and I'm a happy guy

What a WONDERFUL Story! How sweet, and she and you will remember this for the rest of your long and happy life together!

Ain't love GRAND! ♥

Congratulations and good luck

Sounds like you two have a long history and hopefully a long future

uh oh...not to be the naysayer here...but damn it dd.....you jumped into the dating pool...pulled up a familiar fish and its all over? i would so be giving this a lot more thought....let the bloom leave the rose as they say and see if you are still all about this marriage....

with that said...rush right in .....congrads....

Omg, that was my exact reaction too! I mean, what can a person say...so I didn't say anything...but my first thought was "wow that was fast".

But maybe for some people it works that way????? Or maybe for guys?

Well fast isn't always advisable unless you already know each other very very well. But fast can work too. Hombre and I met in June when I was a summer intern reporter and he was working at the same newspaper. Our first date was in July. We became engaged in September and were married the next Valentine's Day and that was decades ago. I would do it all over again.

And now a word from our sponsor :

nomam.jpg

A Moment of silence please..................​

We now return you to our regularly scheduled post:

Congratulations DD!

Well fast isn't always advisable unless you already know each other very very well. But fast can work too. Hombre and I met in June when I was a summer intern reporter and he was working at the same newspaper. Our first date was in July. We became engaged in September and were married the next Valentine's Day and that was decades ago. I would do it all over again.

This has been 6 months of dating and being together most every day... knowing each other closely for years when we first met eliminated the whole "getting to know you" phase... and our engagement will be a little long, considering we both have to save up for honeymoon time with both of us being at new jobs and vacation plans already for this summer to visit family across the country...

Plus... I am 42... don't think I am gonna have some 2 year dating followed by another year engagement or whatever... We know what we want, who we are, where we stand, what we feel, and that this is right.... so arbitrary timelines be dammed...

Last edited:

This has been 6 months of dating and being together most every day... knowing each other closely for years when we first me eliminated the whole "getting to know you" phase... and our engagement will be a little long, considering we both have to save up for honeymoon time with both of us being at new jobs and vacation plans already for this summer to visit family across the country...

Plus... I am 42... don't think I am gonna have some 2 year dating followed by another year engagement or whatever... We know what we want, who we are, where we stand, what we feel, and that this is right.... so arbitrary timelines be dammed...

I think you are brave, I was married for 5 years and the last year of my marriage was so miserable I volunteered to go to Iraq. I don't think I can go through with that again, so you got guts my friend.:clap2:

Forum List

Back