Watching Extremism: Rise Of The European Right

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
April 15, 2012

"Host Rachel Martin talks with Matthew Goodwin, an associate fellow with Chatham House, about anti-immigrant extremism in Europe. Goodwin explains why once-fringe political parties have increasingly gained widespread support."

Not for the fringe of heart.

Watching Extremism: Rise Of The European Right : NPR

Audio from this Weekend Edition Sunday will be available at NPR (link above) at 12 ET today.

I am definitely on the right, but I listen to NPR all the time....I know its liberal, just like i know fox is conservative....but I listen to both so that i can triangulate the news....

Should a nation be allowed to control their borders and sovereignty, when did that become extremism?

Should a nation be allowed to control their borders and sovereignty, when did that become extremism?

A. Yes, a nation should be allowed to control its borders and sovereignty. Why didn't Reagan, Clinton or Bush I or II do anything about protecting our borders? President Obama is enforcing current law with much more vigor than any of his predecessors.

Last edited:

A. Yes, a nation should be allowed to control its borders and sovereignty. Why didn't Reagan, Clinton or Bush I or II do anything about protecting our borders? President Obama is enforcing current law with much more vigor than any of his predecessors.

Agreed, presidents have been letting illegal immigration sit on the back burner for decades now. Maybe OB just wanted to crack the whip on it to seem tough on the issues, but even he isn't really making a dent in the illegal immigration issue.

Agreed, presidents have been letting illegal immigration sit on the back burner for decades now. Maybe OB just wanted to crack the whip on it to seem tough on the issues, but even he isn't really making a dent in the illegal immigration issue.

He's made more than a dent. However, the Congress hasn't done shit.

NPR

1/3 Something interesting; current events, but with NPR's typical leftist spin.

1/3 Political discussions; usually a liberal debating a progressive or a communist.

1/3 Stupid stuff; like interviewing a hermit who lives in the rain forrest and makes ukulele's out of monkey bones.

What is, in your opinion, a "leftist spin", and if you have a point you'd like to make a couple of examples of this "leftist spin" would be appreciated.

On your second point, once again you need to offer examples. Which liberal debated which progressive or communist? One example will prove nothing, but one example may give you cover.

As for stupid stuff, that's too subjective to comment upon. Some consider human interest stories informative and/or entertaining; apparently you do not and that's fine. But, calling human interest stories stupid is ... well, no sense in going there.

Last edited:
He's made more than a dent. However, the Congress hasn't done shit.

Its obvious that Washington just kicks the can down the road for this issue. They like having illegals here...its good for the business if you know what I mean.

That's true. Some industries are dominated by workers not legally allowed to work in our country. Pay under the table makes great sense to businessmen and workers alike, that it is illegal does not concern them a bit.

So Reagan wasn't an Extremist, good to know

Today Reagan would be called a RINO by most of the New Right. He raised taxes and negotiated with Gorbachev to end the cold war and to the dismay of many on the right he signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, giving legal status to close to 3 million undocumented immigrants.

Today Reagan would be called a RINO by most of the New Right. He raised taxes and negotiated with Gorbachev to end the cold war and to the dismay of many on the right he signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, giving legal status to close to 3 million undocumented immigrants.

Top tax when Reagan entered office was 70% when he left, it was 28%, how is that an increase?

Thanks to Reagan, Gorby was defeated, the USSR was defeated and Communist hegemony was defeated

Was he perfect? No, he had a Democrat Congress but did the best he knew how

Quoting other posters in your sig is a sign that they are in your head... therefore, it's a 'win' for them, not you. Just sayin'.

Forum List

Back