Watch Fans?

Of all of my watches, I've only got one quartz watch. But it also happens to keep the best time, only losing about 1-2 seconds a year. I hardly ever wear it, though.

Problem is that the son of a gun is 52mm lug to lug. It's a monster.

Most people I've seen post theirs elsewhere around the web, it makes them look like a kid wearing their dad's watch, really.

Luckily, I have between a 7 1/2'' and 8'' wrist, so I can get away with it. But still just barely.

I prefer a 40mm but have a lot of 42mm watches as well.

Actually, I have two of em. A bracelet version and a strap version. The pin holes are drilled differently for them, for some stupid reason. Used to have three of em, but I gave one away. It was all black, case and dial.

I ditched the strap that came with this one, though, and stuck one on it from a guy over in Europe who makes em for me by hand.

Lunar Pilot.jpg

My phone tells me what time it is and I don't see the need for any expensive redundancy

Last edited:

Massachusetts-based auction house Skinner Auctioneers is offering a real dive watch rarity, one of the few surviving Tornek-Rayville TR 900 watches.

The watch was originally issued by the US military to its nascent U.S. Navy Underwater Demolition Team program - the beginnings of the Navy SEALs - in the 1960s. Only around 20 of the 1,000 watches originally issued are thought to survive today.

This example from 1964 is offered by Skinner Auctioneers via a 10-day online auction and is estimated to reach $70,000-$90,000 USD

Any watch fans here?

I like a nice watch, and have a fairly substantial collection; Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. My daily wear watch is a Breitling Colt 43.

Recently, though, I've been made aware of some watches that are well down into the three-figure range, and they're really nice, swinging way above their price point.

The first is a company called Undone: Undone Watch Co.

They're below $500, and you can customize just about every single aspect of them. For $335, I'll be ordering one of these:

View attachment 648238

Yesterday a buddy told me about a new Omega/Swatch collaboration called the "MOONSWATCH" collection. It looks like an Omega Speedmaster, but also has the Swatch logo on it (the Swatch Group owns Omega). They've got a watch for each of the planets and the sun, and they're under a grand. I'm going to get this one:

View attachment 648239

I don't like the Omega Speedmaster enough to spend $6,000 on one, but for $850? It's a Swiss quartz movement (I prefer automatics), but it's a good lookin' watch.

Any other watch fans here?

Watch fan? No. I use them, but I buy what I need and my current daily wearer is a Citizen Eco Drive. 150ish I think. I do however indulge for specific reasons. When i fly i wear a genuine Hanhart Monopusher Chronograph, simply because I like it and I found it on a trip in Europe. I think it cost a grand to get it running properly again, but i love it for when I fly.

And, after I made my first big chunk of change I rewarded myself with a Rolex President.

Watch fan? No. I use them, but I buy what I need and my current daily wearer is a Citizen Eco Drive. 150ish I think. I do however indulge for specific reasons. When i fly i wear a genuine Hanhart Monopusher Chronograph, simply because I like it and I found it on a trip in Europe. I think it cost a grand to get it running properly again, but i love it for when I fly.

And, after I made my first big chunk of change I rewarded myself with a Rolex President.

Presumably the gold version yes?

I'm not really a fan of gold jewelry. I looked at the white gold version a couple years back. Nice watch, but, yowzah. Not inexpensive!

Presumably the gold version yes?

I'm not really a fan of gold jewelry. I looked at the white gold version a couple years back. Nice watch, but, yowzah. Not inexpensive!

Yes, it is 18c solid rose gold. I bought it back in 1971-72. I would imagine it is worth quite a bit these days.

Yes, it is 18c solid rose gold. I bought it back in 1971-72. I would imagine it is worth quite a bit these days.
Depending on the watch, it could be a substantial amount. Pre-owned examples can be anywhere from $20K to $60K. I've got a red Submariner that I bought for $11,000 about ten years ago. Prices for that these days can be anywhere from $25K to $80K (mine is more towards the former).

It's crazy what Rolex prices have done...

This is the same as my daily wear watch. I've always like the oyster bracelet of the Rolex Submariner, so this one, which is only slightly different, appealed to me:

Breitling Colt Black Dial Automatic Steel Mens Watch A17313 Box Card

breitling-colt-black-dial-automatic-steel-mens-watch-a17313-box-card-42890_62ef3_md.jpg

I bought this about a year and a half ago for $1,900 from a store in Dallas (Bernard Watch; excellent folks). This one, at another dealer, is selling for $2,990. Prices on high-end time pieces aren't going down anytime soon...

Depending on the watch, it could be a substantial amount. Pre-owned examples can be anywhere from $20K to $60K. I've got a red Submariner that I bought for $11,000 about ten years ago. Prices for that these days can be anywhere from $25K to $80K (mine is more towards the former).

It's crazy what Rolex prices have done...

Yeah, just for fun I looked up my watch. One place has my exact watch, though in better condition, for 455,000!

Holy crap!

Yeah, just for fun I looked up my watch. One place has my exact watch, though in better condition, for 455,000!

Holy crap!

Yeah, they get pretty serious.

Check out this episode of Antiques Roadshow. It's a 1971 Rolex Oyster Cosmograph that the owner originally paid $345.97 for:

Paul Newman's Cosmograph sold at auction for almost $5.5 million...

Last edited:
Yeah, they get pretty serious.

Check out this episode of Antiques Roadshow. It's a 1971 Rolex Oyster Cosmograph that the owner originally paid $345.97 for:

Paul Newman's Cosmograph sold at auctoin for almost $5.5 million...

Actually, Newman's watch sold for 17.8 million. I watched it live.

I have a heavy stainless steel watch from Fossil.
It has an electronic plate as a face on the watch and has a dragon that changes colors.
It's supposed to be a hot collectors item, but I can't find anything or anybody that can tell me if it is worth something or not.

This thread made me buy a new watch.

Got an Invicta 23678...a Submariner homage...but with a silicone band so as not to be too pretentious.

Right up my alley...a beautiful watch with a Japanese automatic movement for $68 on sale...

IMG_20220526_142223777_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220526_222744420_HDR~2.jpg

It's back up to $76 on Amazon...which is about the average for thus watch.

Limited-time deal: Invicta Men's Pro Diver Automatic-self-Wind Watch with Silicone Strap, 19 (Model: Black) Amazon product

You can get the stainless bracelet model for $79...

Invicta Automatic Pro Diver Stainless Steel Watch Amazon product

Probably not what you high dollar watch guys are looking for...but for me it's perfect.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back